Re: DIF Community Project: DIF Road Trip!

Dave wrote:

I think some deleted scenes featurettes will be in order.

I just remembered, one of my takes, my buddy and I started laughing immediately after I'd delivered a line. Although, I cam't remember if I'd included it in the footage I ended up sending or not. Would make for a nice outtake/blooper.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's one line I did about a million takes of ("yes, a million"), and none of them are in the final cut. So, either the segment it was a part of got dropped, or I really sucked.

Or both, obviously.

Nothing was dropped due to poor performances. Looking at the rough cut vs. Teague's shortened versions you can see the sort of issue we ran into; the script was a tad ... over written.

We had to make the decision between putting in everyone's great takes and deliveries, or putting together a cut which flowed better and didn't drag as much. The tighter cut was made to leave us with something that's more watchable.

There were so many great performances which didn't fit with the flow, and it was a little heartbreaking to leave so much out. I'll put some of it together so everyone can enjoy it.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

On the subject of VFX/film tutorials.

Teague. How do you go about dealing with incorporating shot footage that has audio you need to polish later in to a larger afx comp?

To use the example of what I'm working on atm that spurred this, I'm doing recreating the Twilight Zone intro and I'm going to be transitioning directly into our Rod Serling "Submitted for your approval" speech. So I have it all in one afx comp so that way I can do the transition directly. But I'm going to need to take the audio for the speech and clean it up later on, but I don't think exporting the audio out of afx from the edited version would be the best option. So how do I keep it lined up/line it up in the final edit with the clean audio?

/probablynotintherightplacebutheyteaguestartedthis

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Dave wrote:

We had to make the decision between putting in everyone's great takes and deliveries, or putting together a cut which flowed better and didn't drag as much. The tighter cut was made to leave us with something that's more watchable.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm used to writing and editing prose, and I fully understand that anything that doesn't make the whole stronger has to go, no matter how much you like any given snippet by itself.

Dave wrote:

We had to make the decision between putting in everyone's great takes and deliveries, or putting together a cut which flowed better and didn't drag as much.

Welcome to my life.  I often say my job is "Performance Genocide."

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Related - Editing is kinda fun. With practice, it could be something I enjoyed a lot more. M

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kinda like roto, surprisingly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, here's where I started going with this, score wise, but now I'm not so sure. Thoughts?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I dunno. I guess it depends on the tone you're going for. The adventurous music in that rough cut had a major (positive!) impact on the comedy. I really like this tune, though.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

The adventurous music in that rough cut had a major (positive!) impact on the comedy. I really like this tune, though.

+1

ZangrethorDigital.ca

It's a little discordant and distracting, would something without vocalisation work better? Puts me in mind of the Seinfeld intro.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I do prefer the more adventurous feel myself. I think this could work someplace else though, the McDonalds or poem scenes maybe?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I feel like it being all vocals is distracting, plus the tone isn't... what I was hopin' for. I have a bad case of temp love.

Honestly, if nobody objects, I vote putting the temp score back in and not tellin' anybody. :-P

I tried it with piano-only, and it's kind of a similar thing. It being one instrument (or a couple instruments) for so long gets really one-note and kind of irritating.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Augh this is what I get for joining the forums so late. I'll have to take a read through this at some point.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I'm cool with this music. I also liked the adventurous music, too but the mix was imbalanced in that cut and sometimes, the more bombastic elements of that score drowned out the dialogue.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Some entire cast members might be lost in the attempt, come to think of it.  neutral

Some lost? You don't say.

...youdontsay...

sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Your footage wouldn't load or play, Jim. Check a couple of pages back when this restarted - asked you to re-upload.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's what I get for only checking this thread once every 6 months. It's on me. Sorry, man.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's done.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down