Topic: Oh humanity, seriously, fuck you.

So today I was in London looking for a new pair of shoes and some fella stops me in a street from his car. I think he's about to ask me for directions but no, it's a car dealer who says he's just sold 3 Bentleys to an Arab family and this buyer didn't want the 2 Breitling watches his boss had decided to throw in as a freebie.

You just know where this is going right?

So because he doesn't like his boss and reckons that the guy will just pocket them (as they've already been 'signed off'), he wants to get rid of them instead and lo and behold wants to sell one of the watches to me. He asks me what I could pay, I say 250 pounds, which he pretty much scoffs at. He's driving a nice expensive car and works for Bentley, which is a pretty prestigious car company, and says it's not about the money but can't really part with a watch for so low a price of its value. So I up the price to 300 and I'm pretty adamant about not paying more. He reluctantly agrees and so I go to a cash machine and hand over 300 quid. He gives me his/a telephone number so that I can contact him to buy him a Jack Daniels, owed to him for the great deal, or to refer him to friends and family who could buy a Bentley. Then a minute or so later he drives off (back to the showroom and his boss).

I know absolute shit about watches and know less about Breitlings (other than they're similar to Rolexes and are expensive), but this guy has a credible story, is friendly and chatty, and asks that I don't put it on Ebay because it might get him in trouble if his boss finds out.

I get back home and have a look on line, because now I'm thinking things over and starting to wonder. Loads of information about Breitlings and replicas/fakes. And I come to a realisation that, fuck, this thing isn't genuine. And worse, the bloody chronograph function doesn't even appear to work. It's a very pretty piece of shit (that I didn't want or need). And no-one appears to answer the phone number I was given, surprise surprise.

So upshot is that I'm out of pocket a tidy sum of money (which I can live with but isn't ideal) and my faith in mankind has taken another stumble, because fuck this guy and his con game. I really wonder about what goes on in peoples' heads sometimes, like you must know you're being a total shit. How does it not kick in at some point to stop? It's one thing to pretend to be a Nigerian prince and get a scam going via impersonal means like the internet or on ebay, but to do a full Mamet on some guy walking along?

Anyone else have similar stories of people being shits?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Oh humanity, seriously, fuck you.

I had a pretty great horror story about buying an XL1s off of eBay about ten years ago, was on the news and everything. The lady was involved in a big lawsuit thingy, we found out later.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When I was in my first year of studies, fresh new in town and living alone and shit, some dude rang at my door and talked me into giving him 75€ (~$100). Usual stories about helping students, I don't remember. Candies were involved, but in the end, I gave an amount of money which was not nothing to me, as a student, to a total stranger who never showed up again.

I still curse myself for falling for it, but it was a while back, and it was the only lesson I needed. I'm now very precautious with that kind of things, and I don't give my trust easily.

It's painful, having to hold back trust in people. This is the world we live in.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ow!  Pricey lesson in cynicism. Happens all the time around me, a van will pull up next to you at a stop-light and offer you whatever stolen/worthless goods they have to fence.  Legitimate businessmen don't operate out of their vehicles, however flashy.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been approached a few times over the years in and around London by suave jokers in flash cars telling stories like this: "I've got these items left over from a trade show that I've got to get rid of to make my sales quota", "I'm going to the airport, and I don't have room in my bags for these leftover clothing samples", et cetera.

Ultimately, it always boils down to: "I've got to get rid of desirable item X in a hurry, can you afford just £Y to do me a favour, mate?"

I always tell them to get lost before I call the police. They always get lost.

Scamming didn't start with spam, unfortunately. A friend of mine got a hand-written scam letter from Nigeria in 1992, long before they were ever using e-mail to waste everyone's time.

I'm sorry you were stitched up; don't take it personally.

I've only been caught once, and luckily it only cost me 20 bucks.

It's the same old story. Guy comes up to me in the street, says he's visiting up from california, he's been driving for 20 hours straight, and he needs the cash to pay to get his car out of the parking lot but all the cash he has is in american, so he can pay me back in american, but blah blah you get it. (Which, it's FUCKING AMAZING how much fridge logic these guys can get away with when they're charming and personable). So me being the nice guy I am, say sure. Run up to the ATM half a block up, he's just so grateful and can't stop thanking me. And we walk down to the parking garage, and he says just wait out here cause the gaurds don't let anyone in if they aren't parked in there (Fridge logic #2 take note, this guy was seriously good) and he says he'll back in 10 minutes with. So I just chill outside for bout 25 minutes, before I pretty decide that yep, I just got conned.

Hopefully the guy really enjoyed whatever that 20 bucks got him. Luckily I was already working at that point, so it wasn't a huge hit to my wallet, but yeah, still a huge hit to the pride and my faith in other people. But ah well, humans suck, we all know that.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

redxavier wrote:

So upshot is that I'm out of pocket a tidy sum of money (which I can live with but isn't ideal) and my faith in mankind has taken another stumble, because fuck this guy and his con game. I really wonder about what goes on in peoples' heads sometimes, like you must know you're being a total shit.

On the other hand, it's worth noting that scams like this -- and the Nigerian prince scam, etc. -- don't work if they don't have greed to play on. You didn't want or need the watch by your own admission. You didn't even know anything about it. You just saw dollar (er, pound) signs that could be yours for a minimum of work if you bought it cheap and flipped it on eBay.

Yeah, this guy's an asshole for running around scamming people. But the truth is, you burned yourself. He just gave you the opportunity.

I'm not trying to make you feel shittier, although I'm sure I probably am. I'm just saying, as a learning experience, you won't get much out of it if all you learned was "that guy was an asshole."

EDIT: I misread the part of your post where you said he asked you NOT to put it on eBay, so I retract my assumption that your goal was to flip it for a profit, and apologize if that was not the case. Still, paying 300 pounds for something you "don't want or need" just because it was there and cheaper than it normally would be strikes me as an unwise policy in general.

Last edited by Dorkman (2012-04-14 23:46:59)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I misread the part of your post where you said he asked you NOT to put it on eBay...

Dependent on how this was phrased, I'd suggest he mentioned not selling it on eBay to plant the seed that a quick profit was possible.

Not only is it more subtle than telling you outright that selling it on eBay could be profitable, it's the kind of comment that's designed you make you feel like you're smarter than the other guy. Cons rely on you developing this feeling, because then you think you're in charge.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/You_Can%27t_Cheat_an_Honest_Man.jpg

First of all redxavier I feel for you, loosing the money sucks and feeling duped adds insult to injury.

Dorkman's comment was harsh but I have to agree with him. These scams don't work if they don't have greed to play on.

The saying "you can't con an honest man" only tells us though that most people are not actually as honest as they would like to think they are. I think we all can be taken on a bad day.

These kind of scams are quick and based on fast talking, charme and the "greed" of the victim. But this is not a fair game, true scam artists are so experienced and they can "hypnotize" the mark. Before you know it they are gone and you slowly realize you've been taken. Although some say the best grifters can take you for a ride and you will never know you've been had.

On a side note, have you guy's seen the "Ten Commandments for con men"

10 Commandments for Con Men

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

These scams don't work if they don't have greed to play on.

greed/good samaritanism

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Ok, seriously, why don't we have a film based on this yet?

Ooo Burn notice for Con men. That would be awesome.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Dorkman wrote:

On the other hand, it's worth noting that scams like this -- and the Nigerian prince scam, etc. -- don't work if they don't have greed to play on. You didn't want or need the watch by your own admission. You didn't even know anything about it. You just saw dollar (er, pound) signs that could be yours for a minimum of work if you bought it cheap and flipped it on eBay.

Yeah, this guy's an asshole for running around scamming people. But the truth is, you burned yourself. He just gave you the opportunity.

I'm not trying to make you feel shittier, although I'm sure I probably am. I'm just saying, as a learning experience, you won't get much out of it if all you learned was "that guy was an asshole."

EDIT: I misread the part of your post where you said he asked you NOT to put it on eBay, so I retract my assumption that your goal was to flip it for a profit, and apologize if that was not the case. Still, paying 300 pounds for something you "don't want or need" just because it was there and cheaper than it normally would be strikes me as an unwise policy in general.

I completely agree and I can't deny that the possibility of making extra money down the line, perhaps a few years from now, did occur to me at the time (though much more so afterwards).  Having something at a great deal I found hard to resist too. I knew I didn't want to buy it, but found myself doing it more as a 'favour' than anything else, such was how good he was at talking.

More than anything though, I am surprised at how elaborate and complicated a con someone would go through. At several times, I was aware at just how shady this was, but I was fully taken in by the story and the effort gone through. Clearly, 'why go through all this just to cheat' is faulty and not a good enough reason to override common sense.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As a teen I found a great book by an ex-con man that told stories of all the classic bits. Most relied on not just fast talking, but letting the mark think THEY were the one doing the conning. Not only are you playing on their greed, but they really won't want to go to the cops afterwards.

If you haven't, go watch The Sting. A classic.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was in Paris a few years ago, and what happens there is a bloke walks up to you and pretends to pick up a piece of jewellery off the pavement near you and asks you "Is this yours"? When you say "Nope" he then says "take it anyway". So now you've got the jewellery in your hand thinking that's the end of the story. Then he says "give me a few euros for it". You then offer it back to him but he insists on the money instead. And so on, backwards and forwards, until he snatches the jewellery back and tries someone else.

In Italy, there are porters at train stations that wear uniforms that grab your ticket and your suitcase and offer to show you to your seat, then demand a tip. But the uniforms are fake. It's a begging ruse.

Last edited by avatar (2012-04-22 12:18:55)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In Toronto a number of years ago there was a black guy handing out pamphlets on black history (actually stapled pages printed directly from Wikipedia), but if you took one he'd claim you should give him money in return. Similar to the jewellery thing, but plus white guilt, whee! I gave him a twoonie and dragged my brother off when the guy tried to "give" one to him too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down