Topic: General Talk/Stuff That won't Go Anywhere Else

I don't expect this thread to last and that's ok, I just wanted to share something and couldn't really find an excuse to put it anywhere else. It's not movie talk, otherwise it would have went in that thread. Anyway, earlier today on Twitter, Stephen Fry totally owned a homophobe. I won't use the guy's name, instead I'll just call him what he is-

Homophobe-
@stephenfry Gay fuck
Stephen Fry- @homophobe Lovely offer, but I'm a) busy b) miles away and c) spoken for. But how very flattering.

big_smile Love him. On another note, almost in the same vein. I have a friend on Twitter and from another forum who has a young son. He was at school and the discussion was about marriage. Some kids said marriage is a 'boy' and a 'girl' getting married. Boys can't marry boys and girls can't marry girls. This kid said that girls can marry girls as he was just at his aunt's wedding to another woman. The other kids ridiculed him but he stood his ground and denied there  is anything wrong with it. The teacher scolded him for not admitting that same sex marriage is wrong and the school contacted his mother. They demanded that she punished him for the disruption but she refused and told her son she was proud of him.

If you have any general thoughts or stories about your day or something you have seen and it's too long for the chat, you may put it in here smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: General Talk/Stuff That won't Go Anywhere Else

well, on a similar note - I cracked up at a Tweet by Morena Baccarin a while back.  Here's the tweet she got, and her reply:

@hornydudetim u r so amazingly beautiful & sexy. u have such perfect cleavage, the nicest ass, sexiest feet ever u get my dick so hard DM me

@missmorenab Wow. You sound so cool. I'm bummed I'm married. Sounds like you could've been the one.

Alan Tudyk on John Travolta's latest troubles- 'Everyone is suing John Travolta. What is the statute of limitations for the crime of "Look Who's Talking Now?"'

On other 'news', British shitrag of a newspaper, The Daily Mail have complied a list of what makes the 'perfect man'. Being the Mail, it's a lot of nonsense and going by the article and photos, the perfect man is white. Typical bloody Mail- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … -bill.html

And speaking of news, William Shatner will be hosting BBC panel show Have I Got News For You later this month. Shatner! That's some coup, it's usually British people not known outside the US that host it. Although, Damien Lewies (Homeland) was host a few weeks ago and Jeremy Clarkson was it last week.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Last weekend, my 16-y-o nephew and his friends asked for help with another school project (I've also helped with an Aztec ziggurat and a video of Zeus taking over Olympus with assault rifles). This time, they needed to record a rap song about the Protestant Reformation.

They chose NWA's classic "Straight Outta Compton".

While only the leader of this group was familiar with it, he also wrote it while the other two just performed verses. I handled the recording and editing, copied and looped the main beat and the two breakdowns, and exported it. It turned out very good, except that it didn't rhyme much and had an unexpected amount of references to high school football.

But the project offered me another opportunity to harangue my nephew for not being much of a nerd. I've ribbed him in the past about how he can't do any computer programming or other nerd stuff, never heard of Mystery Science Theater 3000, and doesn't even know what an Internet meme is. I ask you: what's a geek uncle—or "guncle"—to do?

I feel like Graham Chapman in that sketch about the playwright with the coal-miner son.

Last edited by Zarban (2012-05-11 00:00:06)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Oh, Zarban's busted out the Monty Python! This thread can't get any better than that big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

But the project offered me another opportunity to harangue my nephew for not being much of a nerd. I've ribbed him in the past about how he can't do any computer programming or other nerd stuff, never heard of Mystery Science Theater 3000, and doesn't even know what an Internet meme is. I ask you: what's a geek uncle—or "guncle"—to do?

What a great world we live in where you can tease someone for not being a nerd. Makes me feel kind of bad for all the nerds that used to get teased in high school

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hope somewhere right now, a bunch of nerds are pinning a young Mitt Romney to the ground and quoting Firefly at him.

MrDudeMan wrote:

What a great world we live in where you can tease someone for not being a nerd. Makes me feel kind of bad for all the nerds that used to get teased in high school

Yeah, I honestly don't think he could identify with something like Revenge of the Nerds. I think the world has just completely changed. Plus, he's the star quarterback AND star pitcher of the our small town high school, so I like to occasionally give him a little shit.

Recently, I asked him what he's doing to create the next Angry Birds or Draw This. Aren't all 16-y-os Web-savvy h@ckerz or whatever? But I also lamented that I myself have no excuse for not being an Internet billionaire. I honestly don't know how I failed at that. I was on the leading edge, man. It's like I lived next door to Sutter's Mill in 1849 and one day went, "What? People are finding gold around here?"

I also once gave him the sobering career advice to become either a cartoon voice actor or a California weather man, the two easiest jobs I could think of—which he brought up again, so obviously he's taken it to heart.

Who knew there was no market for giving away commentaries without the movies!?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I know! But I've tried other things that didn't pan out, like the White House website.

And keep in mind that the biggest Web successes had tens of millions of users before they figured out how to monetize them.

Or they capitalized on previously known works. Though, the whole Angry Birds craze is getting out of hand

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't get the Angry Birds thing either. I mean, I get that it's a fun game, but they've built a fucking theme park in europe based on it. There's a giant-ass Angry Birds standee at my Best-Buy for no discernable reason. It's just there. They're not selling the game. The game is a fucking dollar to buy, or free if you get certain phones. Zynga tried to buy the company out for something like 2 Billion dollars. For fucking angry birds! What the hell?!

I had angry birds on my trs80 back in the day, minus the physics and instead of birds and pigs it was two monkeys throwing bananas at each other. That game and variations of it has been around for three decades. I'm wondering what other early 80's puzzle games one could rip off and apply physics to.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

That game and variations of it has been around for three decades.

My school career from grade 6-10 consisted mostly of flash versions of some variant of the "fling something at your enemy to knock them over and kill them" concept.

I don't get it either.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-05-12 01:22:19)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Squiggly_P wrote:

I'm wondering what other early 80's puzzle games one could rip off and apply physics to.

Space Invaders and Pong (ok, not exactly 80's tongue). Or better yet, let's combine the two.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, it has been 22 years today since Jim Henson died. I remember being really upset when I found out, I cried at the time but not nearly as much as when I saw the tribute TV special where the rest of the Muppets find out the news but Kermit is nowhere to be seen. When he turns up at the end, though, I was gone. I was 13 years old but had been a fan of Henson's work for as long as I can remember. The Muppet Movie was one of my favourite films as a kid and The Muppet Show my favourite show. I collected toys and annuals and whatever comics I could get (Muppet Babies had one). I even loved Labyrinth. Anyway, I think this photo is appropriate-

http://www.unlikelywords.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/kermit-and-jim-henson.jpg

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Wow, that image is amazing.

I grew up with the Muppets, it sounds cliche but it's really true. When I was really little it was Sesame Street, and then my parents started showing us (Me and my sister) the Muppet movies and then when the new Muppet movies began to come out I fell in love with those (I was born the year before Muppet Christmas Carol was released) and they really informed a lot of my childhood. And then as I got older I started watching the Muppet Show and re-watching the movies and seeing the things I never saw in them before.

The muppets are probably the closest thing I have to the Star Wars or Star Trek level of impact that a lot of people around here have. I can honestly say, I wouldn't be here or the man I am without the muppets.

Thanks Jim.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111128170847/muppet/images/thumb/c/cc/Performing_Kermit_copy.jpg/366px-Performing_Kermit_copy.jpg

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-05-16 21:18:12)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

@sesamestreet posted this earlier today.

https://p.twimg.com/AtCV4FgCMAAHbUe.jpg

These guys man. They did something special.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

The muppets are probably the closest thing I have to the Star Wars or Star Trek level of impact that a lot of people around here have. I can honestly say, I wouldn't be here or the man I am without the muppets.

Snap. I was never into Star Wars growing up, I was all about the Muppets. And Ghostbusters big_smile

And, yes, that image of Kermit and the photo of Henson is one of my favourites, it's both touching and awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I ha all those other things, like Star Wars was there but it was never...OHMYGOD Fucking Star Wars. And I had Ghostbusters and back to the future. But growing up they were mostly just the movies that my dad really liked and wanted to pass on, and I liked them but they never impacted me the way they did with a lot of other people.

TBH, the 2 things that impacted me the most growing up were The Muppets and Harry Potter.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I keep forgetting you are much younger than me. I grew up with Ghostbusters and Real Ghostbusters in the 80s. I think I watched The Muppet Show when it was first shown. I saw the last couple of seasons at least. I saw the first movie around then too, my mum likes to remind me I cried when I first saw that. My favourite film of all time is Back to the Future but I never really got into that until I was older, oddly enough. I remember watching Labyrinth recorded onto a betamax tape a lot of times when I was a kid.

Interesting fact everyone should know: All 120 episodes The Muppet Show were filmed in the UK.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And Sesame Street, of course! How can I forget that especially after BDA posting that awesome photo above? I used to watch this a lot too-

http://www.stuckinthe80s.com/image.php?productid=16446

Ah, the '80s big_smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I honestly can't even remember the first time I watched most of this stuff. It's just always been there. Although weirdly enough, I never actually saw any of the live action non-muppet movies (meaning Labyrinth and Dark Crystal). I finally saw labyrinth I think last year, and I still haven't seen dark crystal.

I don't know if anyone outside canada would know this show, but when i was really little, like toddler age. I watched a lot of Sesame Street,  and Mr. Dressup, which was little CBC production with puppets and this one older genteman, named Mr. Dressup. ANd it was you know, your typical kids fare, but it was funny because the actor (Ernie Coombs) looks EXACTLY like my grandfather. needless to say that led to some very interesting confusion in my early years. lol.

Man I haven't thought about this stuff in years. wow.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-05-16 23:21:05)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I used to watch Mr. Dressup, as well as the Buffalo produced weekday morning Rocketship 7 (talk to any famous Canadian from Ontario over 40, and they'll mention the show most likely). Hmm, looking at Wiki, it seems my childhood mind was confused about something smile I have a memory of Commander Tom taking over from the REAL Commander Dave on Rocketship 7, and being very jarred by it. However, according to Wiki, Rocketship 7 went off the air in 1978 leaving just the afternoon Commander Tom. What I saw most likely was a reassuring sendoff so kids would know what was going on, and that Commander Tom would still be there afternoons. You know, back when local stations still had personality and cared.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Right now on ITV1 in the UK, is Soccer Aid, a charity football match (for UNICEF) of two teams of celebs and professional players. Here are some of the people playing in the match-

Gerard Butler, Will Ferrell, Edward Norton, Woody Harrelson, James McAvoy, Gordon Ramsay, Michael Sheen and Mike Myers. Seriously.

I hate football/soccer but I may just watch it....

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-05-27 17:40:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, Zombies are apparently real and are rising, what with the dude biting that other dude's face and another using his intestines as a cop deterrent.  It is times like these that I am reminded of that R.E.M. song whose title is starting to ring true.

I am of course, talking about All The Way To Reno (You're Gonna Be A Star).

Thumbs up Thumbs down