Topic: Shooting a Flintlock Pistol in After Effects

Can I get some advice from the VFX types on here? I'm in prep for a short set in the 18th Century about a Highway Woman.

So I've done this test to try and add the effects in post, since I don't have any such real pistols and the fact that on low budgets actors and explosivies are not always the best combination. smile

I used a couple of clips from Pirates of the Carribean and a film called 'The Abduction Club' as reference

I think I've got it pretty close but if you can think of a way to improve it that would be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hASLp8Z0aA

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Re: Shooting a Flintlock Pistol in After Effects

I'd expect the muzzle smoke to move about twice as fast, but even as is, it's a solid fake. Well done.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*Realizes you're working with what props you have.

If it's at all possible, the actor should bring the hammer to the rear before firing.  It appears the prop you have is "double action," meaning that pulling the trigger performs two actions: bringing the hammer to the rear, and releasing the hammer so the weapon can be fired.  The thing is double action is relatively new (say, mid 19th century), and no flint-lock system ever utilized one.  Weapons like that are "single action," meaning the trigger only performs one action: releasing the hammer.

In terms of the test, the flash at the ignition hole is occurring as the hammer is still coming back, instead of as it "strikes."  There should also be a slight delay between the strike and the weapon actually discharging (black powder is much "slower" than modern smokeless powder, so it takes longer to burn).  I'd add more smoke as well.  Here's some good reference.

Yes. I'm no VFX guy, but double-action and smokeless gunpowder came way late in the 1800s. However, there was nothing about it that would have made me bat an eye as a film goer. She doesn't even blink on the trigger pull! (I'm lookin' at you, Mel Gibson.)

Last edited by Zarban (2011-06-17 19:07:29)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Matt, Thanks for reference thats a great help!

The 'prop' is more 'childs toy that cost a couple of coins from a fancy dress shop' Not sure if we'll paint some up to use for the actual shoot or not which will probably determine the double action factor.

But i'll definately time it up better with the hammer next time.

and Zarban, I'll make sure the actors blink!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:

and Zarban, I'll make sure the actors blink!

No no! Good shooting form is not to flinch, altho that's probably a lot harder with a flintlock, so it actually would be appropriate.

I just always thought it was funny that, in Lethal Weapon, Gibson flinches badly every time he fires even tho he's supposed to be a world-class sniper while Glover actually shows quite good form and doesn't blink when he shoot. Schwarzenegger was also quite a blinker—even when he played a robot killing machine.

/slightly saddened at putting that last statement in the past tense

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries