Re: Off Topic Podcasts?

I think we can sorta split the middle.   I use the VFX Union podcast as an example.  It was relevant to what you guys were inot, and there was overlap with many things discussed on the show, and was accessible via the page.  BUT it is not archived as such in the episode wheelhouse.  I think under the "Blog" heading things like this might work out.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That would work, and naturally within the main show you can point people to the existence of these (the whole point being to use the DIF audience as a starting base audience for the new shows). I'll point to Irreligiosophy again as an example. They did include the first episode of the spin off podcast The 2nd Law in their feed, but after that they simply noted new episodes in the news portion of the front page.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

And my favorite nun-related movie should be first on that list.

I really hope this is a tight second, if you want any nunsploitation cred.

I'd like to say that I'm simultaneously disturbed and relieved that I'm not the local expert on nunsploitation movies here.

*cough* Images in a Convent *cough*

Last edited by Zarban (2011-06-29 18:49:13)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Ya, my original thought was just having topics of your choosing...  basically, just getting into a little more detail about things that have been brought up during DIF's, but like as said above, gets re-railed by the actual movie.

my personal interests are definitely music in movies (scoring, specially), since that's my main area of interest.  editing is a close second.

Essentially, i just enjoy hearing you guys geek out about the things you love most...it comes through on the recordings as it is.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmmm.

I've been going to Comic Con since 1993 and I still advocate for it.  I could envision doing a SDCC themed discussion about its importance and relevance or lack there of with some other DiF'ers.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Paul, could you elaborate?

Yeah sure! I love the format of the show, the film drives the discussion and keeps everything moving. But sometimes a topic makes me just go, "Fuck, if they paused the movie right now I could listen to them talk about that one thing for two hours". Such as:

* Tippett's philosophy of deeply motivated, reverse engineered animation design, or whatever you want to call it. As mentioned in Starship Troopers and Constantine. Eh, let's just say anything relating to the arts of puppetry and animation.

* Following the history of a certain kind of visual effect through time. Something like the history of vfx environments from Tron to Double Tron, or how lightsaber effects changed from A New Hope to Sith or whatever.

* In a similar vein, I don't remember where (fxphdod?) but Mike Seymour recently mentioned how you can follow the Harry Potter franchise as a really accurate reflection of how visual effects have advanced over the last decade. Particularly the rise of the London houses (DNeg, MPC, Framestore, The Mill). Could be a neat thing to examine.

* Editing in general, experiences solving creative or story problems. In your own productions. Might have been from DiF, but I've been turned on to the idea that it's very difficult to comment on editing of a piece unless you know what was available and wasn't included.

Feels like I'm pitching show ideas, which isn't my intention. Just trying to elaborate on some of the kinds of things I would enjoy hearing you guys expound on.

If they were bonus episodes for-purchase or something, I totally would.

Thumbs up Thumbs down