Re: Last movie you watched

Holy shit, I was thinking about going to that screening!

Didn't!

Saw Cars 2!

god damn it

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When will those of us, not usually on the continental US, get a chance to see RotLA:TA? Dare I say, I'm quite stoked to see it (no offence, Trey)?

FixedR6 wrote:

This argument is frustrating, it's akin to taking a slab of Devon and demanding that it becomes foie gras.

We all prefer holistically complete films, but at the end of the day it's a film about guns, pretty people, and robots. As Tim Minchin suggests, isn't this enough?

Nope. Transformers 3 is not a bad movie because it lacks substance when compared to higher brow movies or is big, dumb and stupid, it's a bad movie because it's badly put together on every level (especially editing). There's no consistency in tone or flow. It's like a bad student film or a drunk telling you a story. It's confusing as fuck. Michael Bay's style seems to have become a parody of itself in the same way De Niro's acting has. Which is probably why there's even a teal/orange joke in there.

Whatever happened to the guy who gave us the moving and powerful shower ambush scene in The Rock?

Some might recall that I had a bone to pick about calling movies bad. This is why. There's a big difference between a movie being flawed and a little ill thought out (e.g. Chronicles of Riddick) and a movie that doesn't make any sense storywise or visually like this one. I couldn't even enjoy the film for its hot babe and big robots because most of the time it's jaundice Shia and a bunch of special forces running around the set of Battle LA and changing their plan seemingly every 15 seconds.

I didn't like the first one because it had a crappy third act which was all over the place and a terrible pantomine performance by Turtorro. I didn't like the second one because it had inane humour and a nonsensical plot, but preferred it over the first because it had clearer and more coherent action scenes. This third ones takes the worse elements of the previous films and dials them up to 12.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now...
The Company She Keeps. I'm a sucker for Lizabeth Scott (and Jane Greer's no slouch), and this was juicier and better acted than a 50s melo deserved to be. Funny trivia: Greer averts suspicion at a train station by holding a baby while the mother retrieves her older child. The mother is Mrs. Lloyd Bridges and the boy and baby are Beau and Jeff.

Everything is Illuminated. Interesting quirky character piece with Elijah Wood that somehow lacks punch despite some pretty heavy happenings. Wood is an American who travels to Russia to find out what happened to the people who saved his Jewish grandfather's life. Anybody else see this?

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

Everything is Illuminated. Interesting quirky character piece with Elijah Wood that somehow lacks punch despite some pretty heavy happenings. Wood is an American who travels to Russia to find out what happened to the people who saved his Jewish grandfather's life. Anybody else see this?

I really enjoyed this film, I loved the characters, framing, and story. Didn't find it lacked punch, it's just that the punch was designed to be more subtle. Don't think it would suit a commentary, but it's an excellent one to watch.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watched Clerks for the first time today. I thought that the script was really good, but only the actors playing Dante and Randal could handle the dialogue. The rest of them seemed to be stumbling over every word.

By the way, I haven't seen him in any other movies. Does Jason Mewes start being a good actor at some point? Cuz he was terrible in this.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Does Jason Mewes start being a good actor at some point? Cuz he was terrible in this.

I don't think Jason has ever acted ...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, Mewes is essentially playing himself in all his movies - which are all the same character too.

Saw Tron Legacy last night. I really liked it and was quite surprised. I had a real sense of wonder when Sam Flynn first enters The Grid and loved the world they've created. The only stumble visually was CGI Jeff Bridges, we're just not there yet, and I was a bit confused with one character's turn (and fate) in the third act.

There's a sequel in the works and I couldn't be happier.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Watched Clerks for the first time today. I thought that the script was really good, but only the actors playing Dante and Randal could handle the dialogue. The rest of them seemed to be stumbling over every word.

By the way, I haven't seen him in any other movies. Does Jason Mewes start being a good actor at some point? Cuz he was terrible in this.

Jeff Anderson did a really good job in Clerks, considering he had never acted before.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Nope. Never. He gets a bit better with the comedy timing but as far as acting goes, he's always pretty bad. The thing is, he never pretends otherwise, which is good.

Mewes is the best thing about the Jay and Silent Bob Get Old and Jay and Silent Bob Get Jobs podcats though. Smith just comes across as a dick, constantly making fun of Jay.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Avalon - What a wonderfully strange little polish film. I really quite enjoyed it, definitely not gonna be everyone's cup a tea, but worth checking out.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

We just watched Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Ware Rabbit.  big_smile

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Gee, I wonder what position the documentary takes, putting the answer to the question before the actual question...

I watched that! It should be the first thing in the curriculum for debunking conspiracy theories. "This week we're going to examine this Michael Jackson thing, next week we do Zeitgeist."

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

We just watched Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Ware Rabbit.  big_smile

I watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit and A Series of Unfortunate Events back to back with my niece (8) and nephew (8), and they loved them as much as I do. I've got all the W&G stuff; I'll have to check if they've seen them.

Next on the docket: Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice.

EDIT: Among other things, I've also watched Revenge of Frankenstein and Frankenstein Created Woman. The latter is quite well respected, but it really didn't do much for me. And these are pre-booby Hammer anyway.

Last edited by Zarban (2011-08-17 19:58:43)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I watched Big Fan not too long ago.. I really enjoyed it.  I remember hearing Patton talk about it being more of a 70s style, gritty film and i agree.  nice dark comedy.  The stuff about the Giants schedule is really funny.

Most recently I saw Brick.  what a strange, but interesting movie.  I loved the noire aspect of it and how it never really slowed down and explained anything to the viewer.  plus it had a great use of language and phrases.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cloe and I saw Big Fan during it's tiny lil release here in Hollywood, and Patton came and did a long QnA afterward which basically just became a stand-up gig. It was really wonderful.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Big Fan is a wonderful film with, at times, some truly atrocious editing.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you've followed my live tweets, you'll know the last two films I saw were Birdemic and The Last Airbender. 

Next to that, I finally saw MacGruber, and damned if that wasn't a funny little flick.  I was shocked, actually.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw Red. *sighs*

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/JOjcWR7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jrcZr39.jpg?1?6201

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For All Mankind was just on Turner Classic Movies. I'd forgotten how stirring some of that old footage is.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gone, Baby Gone. I liked it, I thought Casey's acting was a bit weird and I couldn't stop seeing him as his character in good will hunting, but overall it was a pretty good film, especially the ending.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/ghWC6MU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WFvRqIF.jpg?1?6904

Thumbs up Thumbs down

PorridgeGun wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/ghWC6MU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WFvRqIF.jpg?1?6904

The juxtaposition of these two made me laugh out loud.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down