Re: Primer

maul2 wrote:

Um...thanks Jeff...?

Point being, the word you were looking for is "spelled," not "spelt."

Also, while we're using-it-bitches...

maul2 wrote:

Yeah, I have no idea how anyone would get primmer out of Primer. If it was Primmer, then it would be spelt, Primmer. But it's not, it's Primer.

English, use it bitches.

In American English, the word "primer" in its first definition is pronounced primmer.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've never understood why some Americans pronounce 'primer' as if it rhymes with 'trimmer'. It's not like 'to prim' is the appropriate verb, or that something being 'primed' rhymes with 'trimmed'.

But then, I don't get why Americans pronounce 'solder' as if it rhymes with 'fodder', either. Still, it's not as if Actual English isn't brimming over with lots of opportunities for reverse kettle-blackery. Whatever that means.

Huh, now that's weird. I only saw Teague's post after I posted mine, yet it looks like I've spent as much as an hour after his post contemplating my response. Friggin' forums, how do they work?

I'm helpful!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Point being, the word you were looking for is "spelled," not "spelt."

spelt1
verb
a simple past tense and past participle of spell

Look it up next time, you might learn something.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I suggest we would all learn something if we were less snarky.  Nobody here is quite retarded enough to have shorted their keyboards out from drooling on them, so I think we can safely assume that any solecisms or barbarisms that appear within our collectively expansive lexical knowledge are merely booboos.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Being Canadian, maul2 is allowed to use British spelling. Being American, Teague is allowed to make fun of him for it  tongue

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

fcw wrote:

But then, I don't get why Americans pronounce 'solder' as if it rhymes with 'fodder',

Weird, how do you pronouce solder? I've always pronounced it sod-her (Life long advice right there btw) like fodder.

@Kyle: Give up snarkiness??!! You ask too much.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2011-08-28 21:43:40)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:
fcw wrote:

But then, I don't get why Americans pronounce 'solder' as if it rhymes with 'fodder',

Weird, how do you pronouce solder? I've always pronounced it sod-her (Life long advice right there btw) like fodder.

Sold-er, rhymes with 'folder'. It's an 'L' of a thing.

Last edited by fcw (2011-08-28 22:02:55)

Ahem.

Left-tenant.

What?

And what about U and E?

Al-U-min-E-um

Where does it end!

I'm with you on H though; there is a fucking H in herb.  Though I think we're alone in pronouncing it Aych; pretty sure everywhere else it's Haych.

Then there's Zed...

// enough

See Trimmer is such a boring film your all talking about other things!  big_smile

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I recommend 'The Tough Coughs As He Ploughs the Dough' as a scary introduction to the comically arbitrary mappings English has between its notations and its sounds; pointing out those infelicities is a time-honoured tradition in the public houses of Oxford, at least.

I still regard haytch as a non-standard pronunciation, rather than aitch; see 'Estuary English' for more fings (sic) like this.

Erb sounds wilfully pretentious to me, much like the bizarre spelling of bleu cheese or the surprising use of a la mode to mean 'with ice cream'.

I also find amusing the pronunciation of 'enclave' as on-klayv; it's as if the first half of the word demands a French accent, but the second half doesn't (otherwise it would be on-klaav).

Al-uh-minny-um is how I generally say that.

A friend of mine once proposed the phrase "Marry merry Mary" as a way of (approximately) distinguishing Americans, English and Scots; Americans say all three about the same, English say 'marry' clearly differently to the other two, and Scots say all three words quite distinctly.