Topic: The Nightmare Before Christmas

An amazing little movie, just in time for the holidays.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Nightmare Before Christmas

YES! you guys did a commentary for the movie that made me want to make movies. i have seen this film 10 times in theaters (counting all the re-releases).

i once had a film professor call this "the impossible movie". i never had him explain what he meant by that and i am still curious about that statement to this day.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just finished listening to the commentary and I am going to have to join Mike in that Nightmare loving (1,2,3... and so on). I feel the same way Mike does about loving this film and not quite being on board with the Princess Bride. But hey, that's why they make lots of movies.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Very nice job, guys. Lots of industry background and analysis of the music—appropriate for a musical. A fair amount of crosstalk and interruption, but it shows your enthusiasm for the film.

This is a movie that I've been meaning to see for a long time because of all the good things I'd heard about it. And I finally watched it with my 7-year-old nephew and had a lot of fun. But I agree with the non-Michael consensus that it's not really a great film.

As you say, Jack doesn't really learn much, and the romantic subplot is kind of halfhearted. You would think that Jack would gain a renewed love of scaring, because he was lamenting losing it at the beginning, but I don't quite get that. Or you would think that Oogie Boogie would have been presented as a problem or nemesis at the beginning, driving Jack to greener pastures, since the conflict with him is what is resolved at the end, but that's not the case either.

Also, I saw The Corpse Bride before this with my 7-year-old niece and had a similar experience: a lot of fun but kind of "small". The story is more coherent, but less grand. I also saw Coraline with my two nieces, 13 and 7, and enjoyed it a lot. It felt grand and had more of a point, altho it was kind of baffling at times.

The kids loved all three movies, of course. None of them really puts a foot wrong.

Last edited by Zarban (2010-10-17 15:57:34)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

This movie for me is like Back to the Future and Star Trek IV for Brian.

I know this is more of a movie forum, but video games are basically interactive movies. So why not check out my Let's Play channel?
http://www.youtube.com/user/Otakultimate

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sandy Claws is coming to town...
http://www.engrish.com/wp-content/uploads//2019/02/bag-of-threats.jpg
(Found in the Philippines.)

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down