Topic: Anyone see Drive yet?

First, the movie cements my love of Gosling.  When I try to define what makes a movie star a Movie Star, it usually reduces down to whether or not I can take my eyes off them in a scene.  When Bill Murray, Gosling, Spacey, Jimmy Stewart, Harrison Ford are in front of the camera, I watch them.  Even if they're not doing anything.  They could be walking away, out of focus, while other actors are reading lines... I'm still watching them.

No spoilers, but Gosling is RIVETING to watch just sitting on a couch.  No exaggeration.  There is an extended scene of him on a couch staring off-screen.  And I was fucking enthralled.

Second, Drive has a lot of problems, but ultimately, it was worth my time and yours.  Mercifully, it's about 90 minutes, which is just right.  I've read reactions by a lot of people who were totally blown away its style, but if you're at all familiar with the current filmic stylings in Europe, especially Scandinavian film, nothing here is revolutionary.

Lastly, as much as I liked it, I am not at all excited for the inevitable rip offs.  You thought the Tarantino wannabes were bad?  Just wait for the oncoming wave of people staring at walls played as if its intense.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Anyone see Drive yet?

Gosling really got my attention in Blue Valentine, and I really liked how he pulls off reserved but threatening in this.  There are a lot of interesting creative choices going on in the film, and for the most part they work.  Personally my biggest let down had to do with my expectations.  Reviews compare Drive to Bullitt, which, while not being a car movie per se, did have one of the most iconic car chases in cinema.  Without giving too much away, Drive left me wanting in that area.  The film is really a character study about what motivates each of the characters.  With strong performances all around it works incredibly well.

Highly recommended, but don't go in expecting a "car movie."

Matt Vayda wrote:

Highly recommended, but don't go in expecting a "car movie."

or a talkie movie.  smile

Jason doesn't teleport.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha!  Yeah, there is quite a bit of folks just staring off into space or sharing significant glances.

And what the heck has happened to Christina Hendricks?  I know it's been a few years since Firefly, but did she let herself go just for this film?

Matt Vayda wrote:

And what the heck has happened to Christina Hendricks?  I know it's been a few years since Firefly, but did she let herself go just for this film?

Didn't even recognize it as her while I was watching.  I hope that was some method acting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I recognized her voice, but I think I had looked up the cast at one point and just forgotten she was in it.  It's practically a cameo anyway, but she does well with it.  I was just surprised I didn't recognize her, but to be fair I really haven't kept up with her since Firefly, which is coming up on a decade ago.

Matt Vayda wrote:

Don't know about "letting herself go" but she defn had a blast.  tongue

(this needed a little work.  roll )

Jason doesn't teleport.

Thumbs up Thumbs down