Re: The Intermission - 004 - How We Write Movies

For the record, Maul, most of your points are points that we discussed and discuss internally. They're not being ignored, they're just things we've thought about and mulled over and decided not to go with. (Yet?)

Not a big deal.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Actually on second thought,

I have never had to put up with so much over sanctimonious bullshit than I've had to on this site. So, for once, you're right, you don't need me.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2011-10-11 03:04:06)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Don't let the door hit you, princess.

Anyway, actually on the topic, an addendum I wanted to make in the following ep but didn't get around to is that when I say it's a big no-no to give your script to someone if you know it has problems, I mean to say that if you're giving it to someone and you know it has problems that you could fix, and have just chosen not to before giving it to them, that's lazy and shitty and you ought to be caned in the street.

On the other hand, if you know the script has problems and you can't figure out how to fix them, and the point of giving it to that person is to get a new perspective and maybe some new ideas for solutions, then of course that's perfectly valid and a great reason to seek a second pair of eyes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well that could've gone better.

Damn.  Now we're nothing.

Okay, folks. Don't make me go all forum-administrator on your asses.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Maul, you need to calm down dude.  If you ask nicely during the live video feed in the chat, there's a chance you'll get your question answered right then and there.  I asked very nicely how would you write a spit screen scene into a script and not a minute later, both Michael and Trey were nice enough to offer their advice.

Thanks for that BTW guys.  It was very helpful!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've started to add notes to myself about subtext when things get too obvious, so that writing things like, "You are so afraid of ______ that you are willing to _______!" feel okay for the moment.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The topic ideas help a lot. We definitely want to keep these short and off-the-cuff, but we'll keep the other input in mind as we go forward.

No problem.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban, you're my favorite.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Dorkman wrote:

On the other hand, if you know the script has problems and you can't figure out how to fix them, and the point of giving it to that person is to get a new perspective and maybe some new ideas for solutions, then of course that's perfectly valid and a great reason to seek a second pair of eyes.

I would also imagine it's also reasonable to show it to someone to see if in fact there's a reason to bother fixing any problems. Knowing when to abandon an idea has to be an important skill to have.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great podcast, guys. Gave me a few things to think about the next time I'm crying over one of my unwritten scripts  big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

I wouldn't quite agree with the idea that the first draft should come before you start thinking about the important stuff such as character spines, why you're telling the story and its themes - though I might have misunderstood this part - since the first draft might end up being something that you can't really use at all.

I missed responding to this after that other...stuff...happened.

The thing is, you have to work that stuff out somewhere. Trying to do it in my head doesn't work for me. Or, it does, but it doesn't get me as far or as fast as hashing it out on the page. The characters don't start talking and making decisions when I'm brainstorming, it's only once I've got them talking to each other that things come to life. So I try to get things on the page as quick as I can. Sure, I could write notes, but if I'm going to write something it might as well be script pages.

If you write the first draft mostly off-the-cuff, I can practically guarantee there will be plenty that you can use. You'll discover your main character isn't interesting and a side character is; or that your drama is actually a dark comedy, your comedy a tragedy; or your theme isn't what you thought it was; and you'll have some great scenes or lines or even just characters amid the dreck, which you can airlift away into the rewrite. And if you truly can't use a single word or aspect of the first draft, it's no different than if you hadn't written anything at all in that time. At worst you break even, at best you've made progress. It's like a Pascal's Wager that makes sense.

I've got the same view of writing, somewhat, that Stephen King does (or did last I checked) -- it's like an excavation, the story is already there, I'm just discovering it and trying not to break it as I dig it out.

If a story excites and interests me, I don't ask why -- not to start with. Obviously there's a reason, it speaks to me on some level; but if I'm not conscious of it at the outset what's more important, to me, is to get out of my own way and start telling the story. Why it interests me will start to become evident as I go along, and as I discover that this avenue doesn't feel right, and that one does. First draft is largely intuitive for me, mostly id.

After that I let the ego back in and I do some introspection, trying to suss out why it interested me, why it felt right to do things a certain way, and once I sort that out I can develop it intellectually (and, ideally, intelligently). This is where the outlining and the notes and worldbuilding really take place -- or rather where I make sure everything makes consistent sense and go from there.

Sometimes it doesn't take the whole first draft. I've been writing a new script for a few weeks just because something about it was exciting to me, and tonight I wrote a bit that made me go "Oh, THAT'S what I'm doing here." But if I hadn't started writing as soon as I got the idea (which I'm far too guilty of not doing with most ideas) I still don't think I'd know.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That makes a lot of sense. I have two feature script ideas at the moment, one of which  has remained in the brainstorming stage for months now and the other which has just been an inkling. I think I'm going to tackle the latter with this vomit draft approach much sooner than I would do normally. The first draft, however forced and rushed, will at least be something I can work with. I have to admit, the discovery aspect of creative writing is probably the best part, so why not get there sooner and discover more?

Thanks Dorkman.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DON'T STOP WRITING

^ refer to the above every time you stop writing

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

totally agree, Teague... i do the same thing when i'm working on a new tune.. i generally do some sort of "vomit take" and just keep playing till i find a groove or progression that i like.  I'll then go back and edit/splice/loop as needed. 
I usually find that my first take is the most inspired, but can be sloppy.  it's about finding those nuggets and developing them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll develop your nuggets.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af333/BlackFrancine/Community%20Gifs/tumblr_l3g78jGePc1qa827q.gif

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down