Topic: The New Introduction Thread

I don't know where the old one went, but, shit. Text is cheap.

*cough*

If you're new here, introduce yourself! If you're old here, be nice. And introduce yourself again, I guess, whatevs.

Who are you? What do you do? How did you find FIYH? What was your worst injury, how do you like your pizza, what's your sister's phone number? Give us a sense of the person behind the name.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The New Introduction Thread

My real name is T-Bone McGinty, but they call me "Big T". I'm from Sassafras Junction, Montana (NOT Sassafras Lake). I make marionettes and marionette accessories, which I sell mostly to Japaneses and Hollywood types. I like my pizza like I like my women: covered in pepperoni. My sister's phone number actually has one of those 555 prefixes and she is damned tired of getting phone calls from old ladies who watch Matlock and think it would be funny to try dialing the suspect's mistress' number. I found DIF when I was scouring the Internet for LOLcats to share with my church youth group.

Also, I run the website in my sig, I'm older than anyone on the panel but Trey, and my taste in films runs from "classic Hollywood" to "terrible movies made by bad people."

The most recent films I've watched are M. Hulot's Holiday and Halloween II, one of which is a whimsical delight for the eyes and ears that transcends generations and languages and should have been made into a children's cartoon series.

Wait... BOTH of which are whimsical delights for the eyes and ears that transcend generations and languages and should have been made into children's cartoon series.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

It's easier to paste the insert from my authorized biography's cover.

High Praise for iJim:

"(iJim) is singular when it comes to good looks and charm. A synergy unmatched. It's Paul Walker meets Bill Clinton. I wish he were the leading man in my life."
-Audrey Hepburn

"Whoever said smart = geek never met iJim."
-Stephen William Hawking

"Such a sweetheart."
iJim's Parole Officer

"Not only is he a member, he is our most valued one."
Steve Hudson
President of Hair Club for Men

Last edited by oTom (2011-10-19 02:04:07)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine, shockingly, is neither. In fact, he doesn't really remember where the name came from, only that it appeared scrawled on his wall one morning many years ago alongside scorch marks and the smell of hatred.

He got hooked on DiF after a Twitter post by a strange man named cinebo, who was raving about the podcast. So he downloaded the most recent episode of the time and gave it a whirl. Who said nothing good came out of Transformers 2?

Doctor Submarine's avatar was chosen because it was deemed to be the closest representation of his physical form. Though the shade of orange is a wee bit off.

He's so tired that he didn't notice that he wrote this entire post in the third-person until now. And he's too lazy to go back and change it. He also owns a guitar that he doesn't know how to play.

His worst injury involves an enormous grill and a horseshoe. Don't ask. Or do, it's a funny story.

The twelfth DVD from the left in his collection (on shelf one) is Constantine. On shelf two, it's Monster House. Make of that what you will.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hello.

According to the links in my sig, I'm Frank, but you shouldn't take that literally since at least some bureaucrats don't.

IRL I manage a software team for a luxury retailer whose offices are so swish that we have several chandeliers to help separate the programmers from the supermodels. I have a semi-ridiculous technical background involving HP calculators, technical consulting and Interweb development, and my formal education includes such timeless classics as tonal music theory, molecular biology and computer science.

I don't remember exactly how I found DiF, but cold sweat and waking up screaming come to mind. However, I do enjoy movies as one of the better excuses for delivering film music into the world, which I happen to have been a lifelong fan of for approximately all of my long life.

My worst injury involved having my entire nose pushed to one side by someone else's unexpected face. Speaking of faces, in mine is where I like my non-pineappley pizza, and my avatar's face is not from The Simpsons, because the Simpsons are yellow, and my avatar is clearly not yellow.

Also, I have a sister now? Well, that's unexpected. I suppose asking if she's cute would be inappropriate, but I'm asking more for my wife's benefit than mine, so...is she cute?

Did I say 'hello' already?

I'm shy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FixedR6 wrote:

I'm shy.

We know a song about that, don't we, children?

Steve!

Hi, I'm Teague. I make fake things either A. look real or B. happen quickly, and like to play the piano. My favorite movie is The Princess Bride and my favorite music artist is Ben Folds, followed by Nine Inch Nails and a thousand others that don't seem related to each other. I make things, do things and drink things, and if ever I can get people to sing Disney songs with me I am a happy boy.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, my name is Alex

I'm only 16 and but shall refrain both for the sake of my own dignity and for the sound minds of the forum members from using "lol" or it's compatriots.  I'm British yet my favorite sport is baseball, as I prefer long thin bats to short fat ones.  Read what you will from that sentence.  My favorite film is The Breakfast Club because the kids feel ways about stuff and I have a curious affection for The Mighty Ducks that I cannot explain to myself, let alone the rest of the world.  I found Down in Front whilst browsing the Empire magazine forums, as I believe one of the crew (not sure who) resides in that domain.  My worst injury was a broken collar bone after I was hit by a piece of lighting equipment during a stage production, which I can assure you was almost unbearably painful, though I can empathise with Teague as I have also, as it was so eloquently put, "shot a rock out of my dick"  Sorry for the length, it's probably because of my deep seated interest in myself...

Last edited by MonsieurVelo (2011-10-20 18:13:42)

Too much garbage in your face?  There's plenty of space in space!

Welcome to the forum, co-dick-rock-shooter.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yellow,... I am also an Alex,.. (wow 2 in one day O_o)
I live in Maryland. I'm ...(quickly does math)... 22.  I fell in love with movies after i saw Jurassic Park when I was 4, and it sacred the shit out of me.  I've then asked myself the fundamental question of "WHY" and discovered film-making.
I fell into the Down in Front realm a few months ago when you guy did Serenity. Someone posted a link to it on the IMDB Firefly Message Board. So I've been lurking awhile...

Oh and i also have about 900 DVDs and Blu-rays.... so i also have no life...   sad      smile

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Oh you'll fit right the fuck in.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Well i found DiF after Ryan Wieber posted his year one mashup on youtube and since then I've kept up with the latest episode. Now i participate in watching the live broadcasts most weekends and lurking around the forums. Majoring in Engineering means I probably wont interject a mind-blowing amount of plot analysis but I can tell you if said device in the plot is structurally sound or just a pile of techno-babble.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I first discovered DIF in IMDB-bords of Sukcer Punch when someone said they heard DIF-commentary on this movie and it was "very smart" or something.. After that I downloaded over half of podcastes you guys did and still doing so . And after that my girlfriend who lives with me, camplained that I have my headphones all the time whetever I do (making the food, cleaning dishes or taking a shower..) Ok, I don´t listen for you guys in shower, but pretty much all the other time. I did listen for your podcasts for over 50 movies I guess, and that´s true, mostly it´s then when I don´t watch for movie but only listening for you talking about it.. 
Its is good entertaiment while doing my internet-job of translating fron dannish to finnish (I don´t speak dannih, but who cares, I have google-translator..)
I am not sure who is my favorite, but I like you all in some way.
Note to Michael (that dorkman): You sound pretty much like Confused Matthew (google) and it´s very cool..

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Awesome! Welcome to the forum. :-P

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have listened to DIF in the shower. I'm not afraid to admit it.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shit, we've done DIFs in the shower.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Namaste, Kon'nichiwa, Hæ and hello

My name is Eiríkur Jónsson (EJ to my foreign friends) I'm a digital ronin living in Iceland.
Just wanted to follow forum etiquette and introduce me a little.

Ashdigital is the website where I test out things in. I call it my digital envelope on the web.

I have a blog (of sorts) on movies, movie making, visual effects, designing and other stuff but I haven't done anything for it in a while.
http://ashdigital.com/blog

Twitter: http://twitter.com/ashdigital

If there is anything you want to ask about Iceland or what ever strikes your fancy just go ahead and ask.

Last edited by AshDigital (2011-12-05 23:15:36)

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Welcome to the forum!

Is Bjork like a national institution, or are you guys divided on her, too?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanx
Björk is highly regarded here by most but you can always find haters. She is recognized to be the most famous Icelander ever. But keep in mind we are a dinky little island in the Atlantic with only 320.000+ souls so we knew here before she was super famous. Ten years ago I was in a party with her for more than 3 hours without knowing she was there. It took americans to freak out for us to notice. She comes from a punk background and was always a little off center even then.

How's that revolution going?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's going, but we have a massive cleanup on our hands. The Banksters, politicians and the "business men" really screwed us. We had the pot and pan revolution here. There are so many similarities between our revolution to your Occupy movements. The economic crash completely destroyed us.

Our new government has not done as well as we hoped but minor progress has been made. So far not one person has been jailed (few temporarily for investigation purposes). No one's been arrested and no one prosecuted. Many of the fuckers responsible are still in business and with every semester it seems less and less likely they will ever pay for their actions.

I am an admin for a blog which is not really active any more but documented the crash, the revolution and the re-building that has taken place since then. If you are interested you can check it out here.
http://www.economicdisasterarea.com/

whoa..
I am a billion times less interesting.

I like movies, and games... and I'm a nerdy nerd. And... yeah, pretty much it.

I remember after i had found DiF (i don't remember exactly when or why), i refused to listen to the prequel commentaries (mainly becuz i was a dumb little shit who didn't watch movies for characters, but mainly to have my eyeballs bashed in).

Eventually i did, and i learned that the world is not as perfect as seemed to have been in the before-time.
... but watever

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

AshDigital wrote:

It's going, but we have a massive cleanup on our hands. The Banksters, politicians and the "business men" really screwed us. We had the pot and pan revolution here. There are so many similarities between our revolution to your Occupy movements. The economic crash completely destroyed us.

Our new government has not done as well as we hoped but minor progress has been made. So far not one person has been jailed (few temporarily for investigation purposes). No one's been arrested and no one prosecuted. Many of the fuckers responsible are still in business and with every semester it seems less and less likely they will ever pay for their actions.

I am an admin for a blog which is not really active any more but documented the crash, the revolution and the re-building that has taken place since then. If you are interested you can check it out here.
http://www.economicdisasterarea.com/

Good to hear. Thanks for the link, the story really hasn't been covered very well over here. Probably precisely for the similarities you mentioned. I'm ashamed my exposure to the happenings have been limited to an Economist article here and there, looking forward to reading through that blog.

Thumbs up Thumbs down