Re: Movies that SHOULD be remade/rebooted

Daredevil.

I hated the movie. I don't know whether or not it's the director, the story or Affleck... or even all of them, but it downright sucks.
So how to make it work? I think if they went a bit from the source material, and made the blindness occur somewhere in the second act, and have him deal with it, then maybe it could be done.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

Daredevil.

I hated the movie. I don't know whether or not it's the director, the story or Affleck... or even all of them, but it downright sucks.

It mainly sucked because it was written & directed by this guy...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425756/

I want a Daredevil film by David Fincher!

There are moments of Daredevil that work, but I agree that it needs a reboot. I'd also like to see Fantastic Four get remade by the new Marvel Studios.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had a discussion with the gf yesterday about comic book movies, why they work/don't work, and Fantastic four was listed as one that doesn't.

I think the main problem with F4, Hulk, Thor and Green Lantern, is that the premise works as a comic book, where the story doesn't need to wrap within a set time frame, but can easily span over several years. A movie always needs to deal with the origin story, an obstacle, and a resolution.

F4 made no sense at all, unless you've read the comic book, hulk COULD work, but I don't see how, to be honest. Thor raped Norse mythology. As for Green Lantern... Well, that shit is just weird any way you look at it. A guardian of the universe that uses a ring that replicates any object in green glass-esque material? WTF.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The main problem with those movies, especially Daredevil and FF: Product Placement, is they're not telling good, human stories. 

Daredevil frustrates me to no end.  You have a lawyer who KNOWS he's right (a secondary power of his is essentially being a lie detector), and when he loses a case, it's a reminder of what a failure he is.  If a killer gets away, its all on him.  So then he dresses up, steps outside the legal system he swore to, and beats the shit out bad guys.

I've always seen Daredevil as someone who hates himself for his own inadequacy and failures - be it in the courtroom or his blindness or his father's death. 

The movie we got didn't come close to any of that.  It was a tonal mess, and everything felt tacked on in post production.  Not just scenes.  The whole movie seemed like an after thought.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let's not forget the supernatural wire-work etc tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

As for Green Lantern... Well, that shit is just weird any way you look at it. A guardian of the universe that uses a ring that replicates any object in green glass-esque material? WTF.

I did like the origin story for that they adapted in the recent direct to video animated anthology. The first four Lanterns were given rings that were to be used like powerful laser beams, but even they weren't really enough to fight off an fleet of space battleships. All was lost, until the geeky, not that strong librarian who had been chosen realizes that since the beams are controlled with your mind, the mind gets to determine what the beam can do. Thus, the "constructs" smile

Those constructs have always been an issue. When Bruce Timm and friends did the first season of the animated Justice League, they downplayed them, but as time went on they loosened up and had fun with the idea.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've always said that they should do a remake of The Running Man. I realize we've kind of had that happen with things like The Condemned and The Hunger Games, but I mean specifically taking advantage of the future society in Running Man. That always felt to me like a movie full of awesome concepts that just didn't have the budget to deliver on everything it wanted (and I say that as someone who really likes that movie). The game show aspect could be played up even more nowadays, introduce stuff like people worldwide texting who they want to die next, what villain they want to drop into the arena next, a la American Idol.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bump for funsies.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I should say; I'm more than happy with Netflix's Daredevil. It's pretty damn good.

As for remakes?

Prequels.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tbh at this point I just want to let the prequels fucking go. Yes, they're terrible, but relegislating them is a good way to make no one happy. The fans who like I, II, and III will be pissed that they're being "disrespected," and the fans who hate them will just have all their bitter memories dredged up again, and EVERYONE would have endless debates over what's canon now. One of the joys of this new SW era has been the newfound ability to basically just forget about the prequels if you want to. It's really liberating.

It's melodramatic to say, but the prequels and special editions are legitimately unhealthy for me to think about. I absolutely love the DiF commentaries on the prequel trilogy, but they were also what spawned a several-year period of me being fucking miserable around Star Wars because of how tarnished it had gotten for me. The Disney era represented a clean slate for me, and I really don't want to let that go because I don't want to be the sort of person who gets genuinely, viscerally upset by a fucking movie trilogy anymore.

Last edited by Abbie (2017-09-29 22:03:09)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DarthPraxus wrote:

I don't want to be the sort of person who gets genuinely, viscerally upset by a fucking movie trilogy anymore.

It's cool, you're amongst friends smile

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:
DarthPraxus wrote:

I don't want to be the sort of person who gets genuinely, viscerally upset by a fucking movie trilogy anymore.

It's cool, you're amongst friends smile

Haha, yes, you guys are always a good safe space for me. tongue I don't want that quote to read as though I'm disparaging or belittling anyone who does still deeply care about the prequels, btw. Hell, I do too, much as I'd rather not. It's just for me, personally, it's healthier to step away.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hashtag realtalk.

I think I may have mentioned this on the Extended Edition SW7 commentary, but I went through a sudden realignment/rejection of Star Wars fandom recently which could not have been predicted; for twenty-two years I lived and breathed Star Wars, and in six months it evaporated from my consciousness entirely. Just the whole damn thing. Affection, interest, participation; it just blew away.

I'm mostly sad that I'm not sad.

The footprint is still there. I still have the whole damn Phantom Menace memorized. I appreciate the fuck out of the art Auralnauts and Bad Lip Reading have been making out of Star Wars movies. (Context remixes are the contribution of our generation, y'all, they're the hip-hop of our moment in film history, get onboard.) I still know what Yoda's walking stick is made of, for fuck's sake. All this stuff is still in me. It's also, simultaneously, disconnected. It's disconnected from me, and I've disconnected myself from it. I'm out. (Same with Marvel movies, but dropping those was uncomplicated.)

Pop culture just died in me, all at once — and it had been most of my personality up until recently, so, it's been whiplash-inducing. I didn't swear off the world or anything; I'm still into movies that are well-crafted little inventions. But when I look at movies in general these days, I only see our inevitable march to automated blockbuster production and schedules that require John Williams to write shapeless 'suites' as modular editorial assets in advance instead of writing sculptures to picture that intertwine-with and compliment motivations in the scene because we have to keep the edit unlocked until four weeks before release because we know in advance we'll be integrating last-minute pick-ups into the edit because we know in advance that a focus group of reasonable people will describe our picture-locked plot as 'images; inordinant.' These patterns are all I see at the theater, and always while seeing the global pattern they're a microcosm of, and the whole damn Marvel shit looks like the fuckin' downfall some days, I swear to god.

You know, my Star Wars thing may not be particularly similar to your Star Wars thing, actually.

I feel I've made this weird.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not in the same boat yet re: Star Wars, but give me a few years and I probably will be. I'm sufficiently in love with the characters of the new trilogy that I'm deeply on board, but already the feeling of its being special is starting to fade. And I've definitely fallen away from the peak of my fandom back when I was thirteen or fourteen. I've forgotten more about the EU than most people will ever know, and it's a relief, to be honest. I'll always dearly love the OT and all the memories and feelings I have associated with it, but I think the best thing for me at this point is to see other people for a long while. Revisit em every few years, enjoy the warm fuzzies, and leave em behind knowing I can always drop back in.

Re: your broader point on blockbusters, though, I'm definitely in the same boat and it's exhausting. It's fucking scary to realize that the last movie to have a really significant, lasting impact on pop culture that wasn't based on an existing property was . . . Inception? In 2010? That's a seven-year dry spell for any pop-cultural touchstones that are based on nothing but an artist's fucking imagination. And while the MCU didn't start that problem, I have a deep loathing for it because it's what codified the very specific model of "producer-driven spectacles that look like network TV shows and have absolutely zero consequences because they don't want to piss off the focus groups and have to serve as commercials for the sequel."

Don't get me wrong, there's still loads of great film these days. But I can count on one hand the number of truly impactful, artful blockbusters made in the last five years. (Gravity, Fury Road, Dunkirk, Interstellar, and . . . Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, maybe? And all of those are either based on pre-established franchises or had to be "earned" by their directors' working in giant franchises first.) Even as a fan of the new Star Wars films, I'm under no illusions that The Force Awakens is a genuine piece of art like Empire was. There's just no room for that anymore. If you want art, go to the indie movies, almost none of which are actually making real money. For every Get Out there's a dozen equally excellent films that barely broke even. And that gets into the whole problem of the collapsing theatre industry . . .

I don't know, man. There's so much to be excited about in the world of cinema and there have been so many movies just this year that I've loved to death, but whenever I get to thinking about the blockbuster bubble it's just draining and sad and ugh.

Anyway, this is just a bunch of rambling at 1 in the morning and I'm not sure what my point was. It's just a fucking bummer, man. *goes to watch 20th Century Women and feel better about life*

Last edited by Abbie (2017-09-30 06:17:25)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not sure if this follows but I'll try, with Star Wars and pop culture in general.

Because, I'm kind of over it. I still enjoy Star Wars, to be sure, and I still discuss the PT and find positives and negatives in them. I've become less biter towards them on the hold as I have aged. I won't call it "maturity" because-no. But, I've hit a point in my life were I like what I like, and appreciating things for just how they are.

But, I don't go out and try to consume pop culture any more. Even Star Wars, which I has a bin of figures to testify to my geekiness and still want to make a fan film some day, has lost a little glimmer. I just don't find it as engaging as I did.

I think my biggest frustration and the point were it crossed was with Star Trek and the constant emotional beatings on about "Not real Star Trek!" and fan films and the like. It's just draining because the culture has hit the point of constant outrage over small details and not enjoying things for anything.

So, I'd rather spend time enjoying things that I enjoy and sharing those experiences with others who also want to share them. I'm just kind of over the toxicity-it's too exhausting.

Not entirely spawned by your posts, guys, but some of my ramblings from an impromptu walk yesterday too.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Praxus, I'll agree with you in that Star Wars doesn't feel special anymore. It's great fun and I'll always love the OT, and enjoy the PT, and probably watch movies as they release, and wow that deescalated quickly. When it was those three movies, and stories being told around them, it was great. Now there's so much and... it's just another franchise.

It's a franchise I enjoy, don't get me wrong. Until one burns me for being totally unnecessary (ugh Obi-Wan really) I'll probably see them all as they release, but they'll need to hook me. I enjoy Marvel movies, but each one has to hook me on its own at this point and there are so many that I have no desire to sit and watch them all, like I did with Phase 1, or like I did with Star Wars OT and PT in college.

Alright we're getting off track here. I don't know if it's been said, but I'd like a remake of The Last Starfighter. Everyone raves about it but trying to watch it for the first time a couple years ago it was just far too 80s, as a barrier to entry. If done right I think it'd be a good piece for a generation that grew up with home video games.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

I'd like a remake of The Last Starfighter.

Check out "Armada" by Ernest Cline.

Not so much a reboot or a remake but a redo of the city establishing model shots in Logan's Run would be grand.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.geekexchange.com/news/the-fl … howrunner/

See what happens when you bump threads?

FotN is a largely forgotten cash-in after the ET craze in the mid-80's, I admit to having enjoyable memories of seeing this in theaters when I was 12-ish.

Would pair well with Explorers.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Why do I...

What did I...

When will I...

*sigh*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Have never seen the original FotN, but I know enough about how much the showrunner of Lucifer absolutely butchered the comic series that I'm beyond dubious.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

drewjmore wrote:

FotN is a largely forgotten cash-in after the ET craze in the mid-80's, I admit to having enjoyable memories of seeing this in theaters.

We watched this in English on one of those days near the end of term where they just shove a film on instead of teaching a lesson.

...and of course, I grew up with it. (Cloe too, I think.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down