Topic: Answer, ask.

Answer the question above you, then ask something else. Subject doesn't matter.

What's the most awkward you've ever felt?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Answer, ask.

Teague wrote:

Answer the question above you, then ask something else. Subject doesn't matter.

What's the most awkward you've ever felt?

When I was in high school we used to celebrate the annual Talk Like a Pirate day. People could compete to see who could best talk like a pirate. My senior year it happened to fall on a Friday, so they did the competition during assembly. They went through by class and let whoever wanted to go down and talk like a pirate, saying whatever they wanted. When it got to the seniors, the only person who wanted to do it was this weird girl who didn't have many friends. And she was really into it, she had scarves and a pirate hat and everything. She did this terrifying voice that sounded like Witch Hazel's demon child and made some awful jokes. Then she tried to get everybody to join her in a song, and as she was singing she did this completely rhythm-less dance. Nobody joined in, nobody laughed. The entire student-body and all the teachers, over 600 people, were just completely silent while this pudgy girl danced like a gypsy in the middle of the gymnasium and sang some weird pirate song. It was so awkward it physically hurt. It was like something out of The Office...

Ever found anything cool in the woods?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I found £50 in the woods close to my then home once. It was when I was about 12 so it was pretty damn cool to me at the time. I bought so many comics and sweets with that cash.....

What was the best Christmas present you ever recived? Doesn't have to be expensive or amazing, just something that meant the most to you for whatever reason.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm going to go back to when I was a kid (and be a little shallow here) and say it was the G.I. Joe 8-foot-long U.S.S. Flagg Aircraft Carrier. When my father pushed that box though the door, I had an idea what it was, but didn't believe it. When I ripped a bit of the paper off and saw that it was, I went crazy. It was the home base for all G.I. Joes and Autobots from then on. I still have it in the attic... I didn't sell it with the rest of my 80's childhood on eBay since I didn't feel like finding a box to pack it off in.

What was the first CD you purchased to replace a cassette or vinyl album (and this may be more interesting to the older amongst us that were alive and cognizant during the CD switch over and actually had "The Joshua Tree" on vinyl).

I did this for my dad, actually. I didn't grow up with vinyl, I grew up with tapes, but my dad had a massive record collection and as a kid I fucked up one of his favorite albums - the soundtrack to the off-Broadway musical "Forever Plaid." I tracked it down on CD and got it for him a few years ago because I felt bad.

Also, Forever Plaid is a really fun show, I grew up with it and it explains a lot about me. Here's a bit they did on the Tonight Show twenty years ago.

What's the best concert you ever attended and why was it the best?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Metallica.

They have a fantastic show, they play amazingly well live, it's loud, they know that fans like their older stuff, so that's what they play the most of, etc. The concert I went to was after reloaded came out, but 90% of the show was music from the Black album or earlier. They only played a couple songs off Load and one or two of their newest songs. The 'encore' for the show was them in the middle of an arena full of people playing in total darkness with a single spotlight while they played a couple of songs from their first album on regular old amps. This was after the entire stage had collapsed and burst into flames and shit.

The reason it was a particularly great show, tho, was the fact that I went with a friend, and the person taking our tickets accidentally swapped us when they handed us our stubs. I was sitting in the seat my buddy was supposed to be sitting in, my buddy was sitting in the seat I was supposed to be sitting in.

I was sitting next to two hot chicks who kept having wardrobe malfunctions and were passing joints around for the entire concert. My buddy ended up sitting next to a couple of fat, hairy, drunk redneck guys who smelled like poo. Five minutes into the concert, the fat drunk chick sitting behind us puked all over what was supposed to have been my seat.

After the concert we went to the local dive we all used to hang at about a month before it burned to the ground and discovered that our stubs had been switched. He was so pissed off, and never let me live it down. I was supposed to have the smelly puke-covered seat and he was supposed to get the hot half-naked stoner chicks.

Good times.

Have you ever come that close to getting arrested but somehow managed to avoid it?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think I have ever been close to being arrested, at least not yet.

Whats the best video game you have ever played?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Honestly, the most enjoyable experience I've ever had with a video game was with Portal 2 earlier this year. We talk about "perfect movies", and this was a "perfect game".

First R-rated movie you saw in the theaters?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Sixth Sense. Thanks dad. It scared the shiiiiiiiiit out of me.

Most intense line of dialogue you've heard?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Sixth Sense is PG-13, Teague. You pussy wink

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Most intense line of dialogue ever: Willem Dafoe screaming "Who the fuck are they!?" while attacking hedges and throwing himself on the ground in Boondock Saints.

I know it's a terrible movie, but at least Willem Dafoe is good in it.

And I didn't wanna use a Sam Jackson line, cause everything he says is intense.

Hey, you guys haven't done Boondock Saints, yet...

edit: dammit, I'm a stupid...

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2011-12-27 00:56:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Since there was no question posed, I'll answer the same question before asking mine.

Intense doesn't equate screaming for me, and with that in mind, Brando's "Look what they've done to my boy." from Godfather is haunting.  There's so much more he wants to say, but can't for a number of reasons.

What was the movie/book/album that truly expanded your taste?  That was different than anything you ever saw/heard and turned you onto a new way of thinking.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Casablanca, made me realise you didn't have to put on a special hat for watching old films and is now one of my all time favourites.

how did you discover DiF?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Well I was stumbling through the Empire magazine forums and I noticed the link in one of the DiF teams signatures (perhaps Teague?)  I bookmarked it cause I thought the concept was great, but left it till about three months before giving the matrix commentary a try, glad I did!

What's your new years resolution going to be?

Last edited by MonsieurVelo (2011-12-28 00:24:37)

Too much garbage in your face?  There's plenty of space in space!

Through Zarban's amazing commentary site, which I initially found when tracking down my favorite fan commentary for "Aliens" (its the Geek in the City Radio one).

What's the first movie you saw in theaters (if you can still remember)?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

argh, beaten to it, answer either one or both I guess

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't remember what the first movie I saw in theaters was. I probably slept through it, being a newborn and all.

My New Year's resolution is going to be to lose some weight. Cliche, perhaps, but I'd still like to do it. It'll be funny when I look back on this post in a year, seeing how well I kept to it.  wink

What's the most awesome thing you've ever done?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Like empirically or at the time? I was like 13 and on a mountain in Japan I shot some bottle rockets into a tree full of wild monkeys. Which I thought was super awesome at the time but now I think it was just mean.

To be fair though, the elementary school had to close earlier that day due to monkeys (throwing poops etc) so I felt like I was avenging their education.

Most unusual breakup?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ah finally, one I can address.  High school sweetheart, sexual dynamo, each of us at different schools a few hours apart.  One weekend she calls to tell me she's sick and can't meet me in the middle for the usual stuff, next weekend I run into a pal of mine who tells me he ran into her in a club downtaon while she was 'sick.' Straw that pinched the last nerve in that camel's back, etc., etc.

Same weekend, in largely unrelated Karmic news, she tracks me down where I'm staying to weep and cry about her car being broken into and robbed (I was seriously nowhere near her that night, honest).  I played the cold unfeeling bastard and let her know she'd lied to me for the last time, click.  Early next morning I wake up to her pounding on the front door wanting to 'talk.'  I pack up and head out to drive myself away, my side of the converation well past over.  She gets in her car, and proceeds to chase me all over town, blowing red lights, fish-tailing through intersections, the whole time her Lebaron's cut-open convertible top flapping in the winter chill.  I finally lost her, and have been clean ever since.  She's into chicks exclusively now, so watch out ladies!

Have you ever almost died?

Last edited by drewjmore (2011-12-28 16:43:07)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's an awesome story drewjmore.

I can't really remember it, I was something like 8 or 9, and my family and I were driving back home from Paris (my grandmother lives there). And as always, on the highway, we could see truck drivers trying to overtake one another in the most stupid and dangerous ways.
As I said, I don't remember it much, but my father told me that at some point, one truck went to overtake another one... except our car was in the left lane (the highway was two lanes wide at that point). My father had the reflex to slow down very quickly, and it was for the best, because otherwise our car would have been smashed against the guardrail. It seems to me we could have died that day.

Do you still have hobbies some could consider to be childish? (I'm still deeply fond of Lego Star Wars)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

You hit the nail on the head Saniss. At my wife's work her co-workers asked her what she got me for X-mas this year and she had to explain the Lego Star Wars Imperial Shuttle Expert Edition to them. Hate sports.. love SW Lego.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-UUajf_pq3dY/Tvt7YnUOXOI/AAAAAAAAAvQ/ddZOFw8vpf4/w300-h500-k/2011-12-28%2B15.25.58.jpg

What movie are you actually embarrassed to have in your DVD Collection (or even worse, re-bought on Blu-ray) because you secretly love it.

Man, that's awesome. I ordered that shuttle a few days ago. I can't wait. It looks so fucking huge.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With the wings extended it takes up some room. It's fun to build too since they use a lot of Technic pieces to keep the wings strong and the gearing to open and close them. Now I have the Shuttle (which happens to be my favorite SW ship) in tiny, small, regular and HUGE! Have fun with it!

Avant1963 wrote:

What movie are you actually embarrassed to have in your DVD Collection (or even worse, re-bought on Blu-ray) because you secretly love it.

Well, no one but my 8-year-old niece seems to appreciate Bugsy Malone like I do. And Sahara is a lonely testament to my forbidden love of Matthew McConaughey. But when the centurions come, it is Walk Hard that I will deny three times before the cock crows.

Question: what movie did you once love then come to hate or vice versa?

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

Question: what movie did you once love then come to hate or vice versa?

I think I have one for both.

Loved then hated: Gotta be Batman & Robin. BIG part of my childhood. Like watched the VHS everyday except on the rare occasions my parents demanded a reprieve big. Came to hate it because... well... I had to stop being six years old someday...

I could also have put any of the Roger Moore James Bond movies, for similar reasons...

Hated then loved: Down With Love. I was just kind of sitting in the same room as somebody else who was watching it and I thought it seemed like a ridiculously cheesy rom-com. Later when I was having a McGregor period I decided to give it another shot, and it's actually a really fun movie. It IS a cheesy rom-com, but it's that way intentionally.

Question: Ever managed a lucid dream? If so, any details you feel comfortable sharing, and did you do anything to bring it on?

Last edited by C-Spin (2011-12-28 22:02:16)

Thumbs up Thumbs down