Topic: Geekza!

I've thrown a few episodes of the old show Geekza online, just for fun. If anyone enjoys these, I can throw up many of the rest of the episodes. As it stands, I just put up the ones I had access to when this wild hair poked up my ass.

http://downinfront.net/geekza/

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Geekza!

You put up all those episodes, but not "VFX and You"?

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Been wondering when you'd get around to doing something like this.

You can still get all the shitty TalkShoe versions through iTunes, but I for one would welcome whatever Audacity versions are available.

Heck, anyone have any copies of DLR lying around? Never heard any of those, that'd be a hoot.

I have all of the DLR episodes. And the recordings I have are off of Talkshoe.

And VFX and You has been up forever, here.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know it's there, which is why I was surprised you didn't link it on the geekza page.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Maybe you could replace the iTunes podcast feed with a new one with all the episodes, ending with a pointer to the new Down in Front feed. I was amused, after downloading the Crystal Skull commentary via Zarban's, not to see it listed when I subscribed to Geekza.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Maybe you could replace the iTunes podcast feed with a new one with all the episodes, ending with a pointer to the new Down in Front feed. I was amused, after downloading the Crystal Skull commentary via Zarban's, not to see it listed when I subscribed to Geekza.

iTunes get get's it's feed from this page, which is where TalkShoe would dump the recordings after the show.  Since the quality was usually meh, they would (usually) record via Audacity, and post that high-rez version later on the site.

But I'm sure you knew that. smile

As for the Crystal Skull commentary not being on iTunes, that's simply because it wasn't recorded in the chat room, but rather like we do DIF now, pre-recorded.  Since it never went through TalkShoe, it couldn't be part of the feed that iTunes checks for new episodes.

So that's that, now...

I've gone through and found what high quality episodes I had and uploaded them, including a few that aren't on iTunes such as, Crystal Skull, Episode 36, and a few of what came to be know as "Preekza!"s, pre-show recordings from early episodes.  I've also put up a few that are still available through iTunes, but are favorites, such as VFX and You!, and the RvD2 premier.

In terms of integrating the high-rez episodes seamlessly into your iTunes library, here's my method:

1. Download all the episodes through iTunes.

2. Select all the episodes, right click, Get info.

3. Under the Options tab, change Media Kind to Music (you can also optionally select Remember Playback Position and Skip When Shuffling at this point, or you can do it later).

4. Don't panic! The episodes will disappear from the Podcast section of your library, and Geekza will appear as an Artist under Music.

5. Download a high-rez episode from the DIF Geekza! page, and drop it into iTunes, it should show up under Artist/ Geekza.

6. At this point you should have two copies of said episode, so delete the crappy version, and rename the high-rez using whatever naming/ sorting convention works for you. 

The files I've uploaded follow a convention that works for me, keeping in mind that there are 3 seasons and  59 episodes (there is no episode 56 that I am aware of) covering 64 files.  Most are labeled as Podcast, but commentaries are labeled, well, Commentary.  For the most part I've kept whatever title the show was given in iTunes.

When syncing your device, "Check" the episodes you want synced, and under your device, under Sync Artist, select Geekza. 

I actually do the same thing with DIF.  Placing podcasts into Music allows you to rename them, reorganize them, change artwork, whatever, without screwing up the podcast.  I'm also a bit lazy when it comes to listening to certain podcasts, and they tend to stack up -- what I hate about listening to a podcast in iTunes is that when you finish an episode, it doesn't automatically play the next one; you have to go back into iTunes and select the next one to play it.  Changing the files to Music allows iTunes to play the next episode automatically like any other album.

There's all kinds of fun you can have playing around with the ID3 tag, which is really all you're doing with Get info.

Anyway, Geekza!, enjoy!