Topic: Snail's Atempt to Dorkman Fix Lion King II

Hey guys, this is my first time ever trying to fix a movie like this.

I was just watching Lion King II for the first time in seven years and I caught myself thinking, “why isn’t this as good as Lion King I, and how could it be Dorkmaned in to being a better film.”  I LOVE  The Lion King, but I’ve never liked Lion King II.  The first thing I thought I had was “Why do I care about these characters?” Answer: “I Don’t, Simba’s being a bastard to his daughter, what happened to him?”

Now,  long ago I heard a fan ret-con that explained why the cub at the end of the Lion King was male and the cub at the beginning of Lion King II was female. The ret-con was simply:  Simba had a son and it was killed.
If this story point was used in the film it would strengthen the characters in the film by giving a reason why Simba is over protective of Kiara & why he HATES the Outsiders with a passion.  It also, gives Kiara a reason to be a little iffy about Kovu when she meets him again and makes her decision to rectify the split pride more selfless (for the greater good)  at the end.

How to Integrate New Story Point
Before the song “We Are One” starts, 
Simba: “ I don’t want to Lose you…” 
Kiara: “I know.”
Just add
Simba:  “Too…” 
Kiara looks at him weird. Simba tells her about her brother and how he was kill by the outsiders wanting to hurt Simba. 
Then weave back into the movie with Simba’s already existing line: “If something happen to you I don’t know what I’d do.” BOOM Done!

A few more small changes:
When Simba says Kovu is exiled, have Kiara ask her mom for help, to which Nala replies “It’s your father dicission.”- This adds to Kiara’s isolation leading to her running away.

I’ve always considered Rafiki a religious shaman character (believes in Fate),… however the song  “In Upendi” show him forcing Kiara and Kovu together. Thus Upendi is Unnecessary, so cut it.

However I liked the lines of Kovu and Kiara before Upendi starts of Kovu asking “Who this?” and Kirara saying, “just a family friend.”  So add a scene when Kovu is introduced to Rafiki after he “joined the Pride,”  Rafiki says something crazy (like asanta sana squash banana) with the meaning of “you two are going to get together.” Kovu asking “Who this?”  Kiara, being of the new generation,  does not believe in all the mystical stuff her dad does, responds “just a family friend” (inflection ”He’s kinda crazy”).  The at the end she kinda says to Rafiki, “you’re not so crazy.” Another Character Arc!

Since, I’m cutting Upendi maybe add another conspiracy scene between Rafiki and Mufasa after Kovu is exiled. Basically have   Rafiki: “I told you so!”  Mufasa: “Patience… all will be worked out.”

I hope you guys agree that these small changes help the film and make it feel more like the original film. Any comments or other ideas are welcomed.

Oh and, before you guys say I've over thought it, all this occurred to me in the 77mins it takes to watch the film, then another hour of typing and getting ideas arranged.

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Re: Snail's Atempt to Dorkman Fix Lion King II

I've never seen Lion King II, but this is a nice appraisal. This forum should offer script doctoring services.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Can you do this with the first movie as well. Hell make Timon an actually likable character.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He's not likable? He's Nathan Lane. He's the most likable guy ever.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm with Teague,... He's Nathan Fucking Lane!

Plus, he eats bugs AND he helped the main character though a tough time in his life,... what's not to like...?  hmm

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Of any complaints I have about the Lion King Timon not being likeable enough isn't even in the same universe. My brain boggles trying to understand how someone could NOT  instantly like Timon.

And yes, NATHAN FUCKING LANE. Period.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Was Mister Perfect the guy who hated on WIZARD OF OZ in the Big Six thread? Because if so he may be some kind of monster.

Also, I... guess I'm a verb now?

I've actually considered starting a script consultation service -- since even before DIF. The two things stopping me -- pathetically -- are not having a name for it and not having the time/ability to do a decent website. Maybe I'll try to actually get that done this year.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No I was not the guy who hated the Wizard of Oz. I can't hate a film that I've never seen all the way through. And yes Nathan Lane is awesome but that doesn't mean Timon is. Hell one of my top ten favorite movies is the Birdcage. Okay if you take out those line where Timon says that he's basically having him around for protection and not for actually friendship like Pumba. And all Scar seems to do is lazy around unconcerned with actually running his Kingdom properly. At least the musical implies that he's lost his grip on his reality.

Side Note: One of my biggest issues with the movie is all the things that were either cut and added to the musical (which I love) or taken out because executive meddling. I love the musical because it actually adds things like having Nala being an actually character instead of little more that a love interest. Hell "Madness of King Scar" and "Shadowland" are probably my favorite parts. Oh and Morning Report is the weakest part song in the entire thing. I have no idea why they added that to the film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If I remember correctly, it was cut really late in the production, so almost all of the work was done already. Cheapest way to differentiate a "Special Edition". When Disney Gets Lame.

Thumbs up Thumbs down