Topic: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

So have you ever watched a movie and wanted to:
A) Recommend it
B) Just go what the fuck was that?
C) See if you were the only one who went wtf?

But didn't really feel like it deserved it's own thread?

Well this is the place for you!

I guess I'll start.

I just watched The Ninth Gate. And while I was really digging it pretty much all the way through, (And I mean really 90's Depp directed by Roman Polanski in a supernatural mystery flick, who wouldn't) Until about the last 10 minutes when everything just go a little fucked up and then stopped and faded to white, and the credits started to roll. And I pretty much went, "I...Wait...it's over now? Gaahokay hmm"

I'm still trying to figure it out, but I think... I liked it on the whole. I don't know, the first hour and fifty is a pretty awesome mystery flick (from the director of Chinatown, gee I wonder why).

PS. We'll see how this turns out, it may just wind up as a giant tangled mess of 60 different conversations but I hope not.

EDIT: Pandorum. Not what I was expecting going in, but what I got was soooo much more freaking awesome. I loved the shit outta this one. One hell of a haunted house thriller monster movie in space. And nice to meet one of the inspirations for Ark (And if it wasn't, what the hell were you doing with your life Trey?) and finally nice to meet the Reavers we should've gotten for Serenity.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-01-30 10:43:35)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

I just watched Super 8 and the deja vu was almost unbearable. It is the Surrogates of Spielbergia.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

SUPER 8 was awful.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Havn't seen Super 8 yet, no real desire to either.

Watched the Tournament last night. It was a ridiculously fun little actiony flick. Not completely brainless either, which was a plus! Though, I mean really though, throw Ving Rhames, Kelly Hu and Robert Carlyle in a movie together and I'll probably be guaranteed to like it at least a bit (Ooooh gods her accent slays me)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Now I've just watched Pirates 4. It was fairly fun, but the storytelling was weirdly inept. Characters waft about on the perimeters for most of the movie and then are trumped up as important. Motivations and loyalties are murky at best. Magic beans are sort of hand-waved into existence (zombiefied deck officers? a prophecy?).

I got about halfway into Pirates 4 and literally, no joke, passed out on my keyboard. And I've just never really had any strong desire to go back and finish it. Kinda gives you an idea the level of impression it left on me, lol.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

And now I've just watched Nic Cage's Season of the Witch. I liked this more than it deserved. I think with a little better director and another pass at the dialog (and three months of dialog coaching), it could have been quite good.

If this is as close as we get to proper Dungeons & Dragons movies, I'll take several more of these.

Show
Of course, given that pretty much everybody dies, there won't be any sequels to this particular story.

I liked that little Call of Cthulu flick. Very impressive for what they had to work with.

I just watched Gremlins 2 for the first time with my 9-y-o niece and nephew, and we all went nuts. They were picking their favorite gremlins and acting out their antics and generally being goofy. They had gone to an audience-participation play at the local college earlier in the day and so were primed for silliness.

There are parts that are just cartoonishly dumb—even more so than the first one—but also parts that are just hilariously gruesome. Good, goofy fun. Altho, what was with Tony Randall's Brain Gremlin accent? It varied wildly from Connecticut to England to Australia.

I like Super 8 but the ending is shite.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saw Bridesmaids on the premise that it was "The Hangover but with women". It was not. The Hangover was about (mostly) normal people in absurd situations. Bridesmaids was about an insecure self-centred person making things worse for herself and others in otherwise relatively normal situations. Cats were barely saved, and only late in the movie at that. The romantic interest dude really could have done better.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I got about 10 minutes into Bridesmaids, after being told by EVERYONE that it was the most amazing piece of comedic gold handed down by the gods, before promptly shutting it off going wtf is this shit?

Then when I went home for christmas I was forced to sit through the bridesmaid dress shop scene (If you've seen it you'll know what I'm talking about), and all I could think of was how I felt like I was watching The Village spoof from Scary Movie. Except, somehow, worse.

I will never understand how anyone with more than 3 brain cells in their body can legitimately like that piece of fei-oo if that's the peak of it's comedy.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Since they're both nominated for screenplay Oscars and i'd never heard of either one, I recently rented Margin Call and The Ides of March and watched them back to back.  Liked 'em both.

They're actually rather similar, they're both about people living in a world most of us don't (Presidential campaigning/mega-billion-dollar stock trading) and how those institutions can seduce people into doing some pretty awful things.  Not a single Hero's Journey to be found in either flick, and neither movie tells you how to feel about what happens.  Both just show you what the characters do, you have to draw your own conclusions.

Margin Call is especially interesting because - according to the director's commentary - the total budget was an amazing three million dollars.   It has an incredible cast, all of whom clearly did it for love and not money.  Any one of their normal salaries would probably be more than three million.

I decided to go back and revisit Burn After Reading after it was brought up in the chat today. I only ever saw it once, and I must have been completely exhausted and out of mind. The movie I remembered going in was some sort of dense mesh of incomprehensible nonsense, and the movie I saw was a ridiculously fun little movie.

It was a wonderfully refreshing trip back to the glory days of the quirky bat-shit-crazy Brad Pitt, and a reminder that George Clooney kinda knows his shit about this whole acting thing. And through repeated arguements with everyone on the face of the planet I know I'm alone in this next one, but another glorious chance to marvel in the beauty that is Tilda Swinton.... even if she does make the most terrifying pediatrician known to humankind. And well JK Simmons just makes me grin like a lunatic.

In conclusion, fuck that was fun!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Just saw Inkheart, it looked mildly interestly and I had added it to my Lovefilm rental list months ago. It's this odd tale of a man who can bring characters (and more) to life when reading aloud from books. I had expected an American film, what with Brendan Fraser as the lead, but it's a British film by all accounts.

It's based on a novel, which I've not read but I'm sure is wonderful and has a lot of fans, and I can't help but feel that this was shortchanged as an adaptation. It didn't feel especially like a childrens' film, not in the way, say, the Narnia films are, but it sort of felt like it should have had that vibe. And judging from the Wikipage on the book, it seems that the novel is much more told from the perspective of the child heroine, as opposed to the film's adult hero. Also seems to have had a bit of a panning by critics.

Amazingly, it starts with a mystery and doesn't tell you what it is until the end of the first act. Which is unusual in this day and age where films like Green Lantern obnoxiously tell you everything up front. Too bad Inkheart handles it a little clumsily.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you can't tell I've been trying to catch up on a lot of the apparently really good sci-fi that I missed because I was like... 7 at the time. And todays instalment was!!!...

Event Horizon.

I think my feelings for this movie can pretty much be summed up in what I exasperatedly managed to gasp out when the credits started to roll.

Daaaayum. Why isn't more of this?

Yep, I loved everything about this movie.  And just because, squuueee, more Laurence Fishburne as grungy spaceship captain (we really need more of that btw)!! Just the balls out, fuck you audience we're doin this shit attitude, just, frackin, rocked man, we desperately need more of it.

Although this pretty much wraps up the list I had for good scifi stuff to catch up on (Mostly cause I have no clue what else I don't know exists) , so suggestions would be nice.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-02-14 10:22:26)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Too bad we won't ever see Event Horizon uncut.

I really like Event Horizon, it's very underrated, I feel. It's Anderson's best work by a long shot.  And Fishburne is badass. Obviously, it's Fishburne. I remember seeing Event Horizon at the cinema and it was quite a scary experience on the big screen. Surround sound works wonders for that flick.

They mention The Three Musketeers in that clip above and, boy, that's a pile of shite.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just got done watching Take Shelter. I highly recommend it. It's extraordinarily suspenseful and it has some great performances. The last 25 minutes or so were alternately heartbreaking and tense. It's like someone took the word "dread" and said, "Let's make a movie that's nothing but that for 2 hours."

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watched 'In Time' the other night. Cool concept, weirdly done, and the payoff was kinda boring. Also, Justin Timberlake did a bad role for once, Kieran Murphy didn't fit in the "25 forever" theme, Amanda Seyfried was cute as ever.... and then there's the problem with the actual 'draining time' thing. I mean, why on earth would they make clocks that take that long to drain?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finally got around to watching Mission Impossible.

Yep, I get it.

I'm sure the next 3 will be viewed in very short succession.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I HATE MI II,... but I Love the other 3.

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

The first one is still my favourite, it's the most spy-like and grounded.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MI2, obviously subtitled: "John Woo's Suck My Giant Slo-Mo Cock"

It yeah, it is what is, I guess. Although 2 things struck me while watching it, first, damn that chick looks EXACTLY like Zoe Saldana. And secondly my brain sort of exploded a bit when I realized (After imdbing) that the guy who plays the blondish haired bad guy that gets his finger sliced, is the same guy who played The Duke in Moulin Rouge.

So yeah, that was a thing.

Moving on.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Cashback

A Netfilx recommendation.  After a break-up, art student Ben can no longer sleep.  To pass his extra eight hours a day, he takes a job at a supermarket, and discovers he can freeze time, which he spends disrobing and drawing the attractive clientele.

I'll admit it up front, I was drawn to the poster: a half-dressed very attractive woman, the title card strategically placed just so.  "But there are also a bunch of those wreath things from film festivals, so maybe there's more here than wanton gratuity."  I looked at the description and reviews, and they seemed promising, so I settled in.  Now, yes, there's nudity, plenty of it in fact, but it's not gratuitous.  It sort of hovers between adolescent curiosity and artistic appreciation.  Those who have done any figure drawing will know what I mean.  I guess for the rest there's still plenty of "Hey, tits!"

The way the film deals with relationships reminded me of Eternal Sunshine or High Fidelity.  There is also something of Eternal Sunshine with regard to the time freeze effect, and a couple of other transitions.  Dealing equally with the mundanity of the job as well as Ben's relationship troubles, the scenes dealing with his co-workers add comedic levity, and help keep the film balanced between comedy and drama.

On a cast note: I knew I had seen Sean Biggerstaff (Ben), in something before, and was surprised and delighted when I remembered where I knew him from: Harry Potter, as Wood the Griffendor team captain.  I remember really liking him in that role, so it was nice to see him as a leading man.  I really enjoyed his performance and I hope we see more of him.

All in all, Cashback is a fun, dramatic, and well made film that hooks you with the promise of titillation, and takes you on a journey of curiosity, obsession, heartbreak, beauty and of course, time.  Well done, I'll be revisiting this one.

I'll definitely have to check that one out. I really liked that actor too, (Although not at all like the Wood of the books, it worked... considering he was actually in the frickin thing all of about 30 secs).

ZangrethorDigital.ca