Re: Batman Returns

http://warriorap.squarespace.com/storage/batman-spinning-logo.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For teague

http://flowingdata.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/evolution-of-batman-logos.jpg

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh man, the Batman theme. I'm pretty sure I can reorchestrate that whole theme from scratch. I blame you, The Animated Series.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

For the first time ever, I listened to a DiF episode and disagreed with the entire panel on a point they agreed on, namely that Clooney was their favorite actor to play Batman out of the collection from this era. And I audibly said, "Oh come on guys, you're fucking *nuts*."

For my money, if you want to separate the Nolan series from the collection, Keaton cleans the clock of everyone else to wear the suit for one simple reason: He was the only actor that understood the fact that any man that would go through with the elaborate costumes and technology to spend his nights fighting crime must be clinically insane. And there's a lot of his performance that seems to have that in mind.

DISCUSS!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ChrisHanel wrote:

For the first time ever, I listened to a DiF episode and disagreed with the entire panel on a point they agreed on, namely that Clooney was their favorite actor to play Batman out of the collection from this era. And I audibly said, "Oh come on guys, you're fucking *nuts*."

For my money, if you want to separate the Nolan series from the collection, Keaton cleans the clock of everyone else to wear the suit for one simple reason: He was the only actor that understood the fact that any man that would go through with the elaborate costumes and technology to spend his nights fighting crime must be clinically insane. And there's a lot of his performance that seems to have that in mind.

DISCUSS!

Agreed, accept I think, by far, Kevin Conroy is the greatest Batman of all time. Also, I liked the choice of Jim Carrey in Batman Forever, but I wasn't blown away by him at all, because I saw him just being Jim Carrey doing his Jim Carrey thing.

Last edited by FireFighter214 (2012-02-13 21:22:46)

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Adam West FTW!

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

FireFighter214 wrote:

Agreed, accept I think, by far, Kevin Conroy is the greatest Batman of all time.

It makes me incredibly happy that he continues to voice Batman. Playing the Arkham games, in all honesty, probably wouldn't resonated so much with me had they used another voice.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Mask Of The Phantasm is the best pre-Nolan Batman film. You can't prove me wrong.

As Hamill is the best Joker.

And I would place Ledger second. Face it. When you read a batman comic, in your head you use the voices of Conroy and Hamill in those roles. That show was and is the best adaptation of batman there has ever been, and ever likely will be. I wish it would just start back up again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FireFighter214 wrote:

Agreed, accept I think, by far, Kevin Conroy is the greatest Batman of all time

Heh... I was focusing on the films instead of casting the net that wide, but yeah, if you want to include every incarnation of Batman from a performing standpoint, Kevin Conroy absolutely needs to be near the top (or arguably at the top) of the list, even if his performance doesn't share the elements that I lauded with Keaton's performance.

I think there's something about the live action films that requires a bit more justification to be communicated on the part of the actor to explain just what causes this guy to do what he does, even in a universe that accepts The Penguin, or, god help me, Mr. Freeze, as entities that jibe with reality. The cartoon DC universe is much more forgiving in that regard and accepts Batman for what he is without wanting to immediately do psych profiles on the guy, so Kevin's performance is much more straightforward and badass.

Excuse me, I suddenly have the urge to find Joel Schumacher and punch him in the face.

Last edited by ChrisHanel (2012-02-14 02:49:08)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/49/4916/7MW9G00Z.jpg
Look at that chin.

LOOK AT IT

I accept your apologies.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*chin pokes eyes out*

*runs around blind*

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

2:08:55 is my cited example, but there are others: Is no one going to tell Brian to pronounce it 'Day-us"?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a social experiment, I wanna see where he's going with this.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We've been trying to do it by example.  smile

FireFighter214 wrote:

I think, by far, Kevin Conroy is the greatest Batman of all time.

This, this, a million times this. Although if we are talking only live action then Clooney was ok, he was just stuck with a shite script with crappy puns. He deserved better but Keaton was my Batman growing up.

Ewing wrote:

Mask Of The Phantasm is the best pre-Nolan Batman film. You can't prove me wrong.

And I don't want to. Can't prove something wrong that is 100% right big_smile Dorkman, you really should watch it, especially if you're a fan of the animated series. Speaking of which, I have some episodes on dvd and that show really holds up. It's awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shut up! I took two years of Latin! That means I can't be wrong!

*sobs*

Ewing wrote:

PRE-Nolan?

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have to agree that Conroy is my personal favorite for the Caped Crusader. I liked Keaton as a kid, but not so much nowadays. In regards to him adding a layer of crazy to the character of Bruce Wayne, I just don't give him that much credit -- he does the crazy thing in a lot of roles (Beetlejuice / Dream Team / Multiplicity, etc.).

I like Nolan & Bale's take on Bruce Wayne (although I don't credit them fully with the idea). Wayne is a douchebag shell and the real person is Batman. However, I don't really like Bale's take on Batman (gravelly voice & all). I guess we'll get into that in a few weeks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mask of the Phantasm is the best (animated) Batman film.

Burton has no interest in Batman?

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2011/0 … ovies.html

I think there's way more going on in this flick than the guys gave it credit for.   I also think it's ironic that a familiar criticism is that it's not really about Batman... when I think it is pretty much ALL about Batman.

We have a guy who has pretty much given up being Bruce Wayne. He sits alone in a giant house in the dark just waiting for be Batman again. He only seems feel "normal" when dressed up as a fuckin Bat. 

Then the movie throws out as bunch of characters that show him what he could very easily become.
In fact almost all the main characters in the flick are just fractured pieces of Batman's psyche. Distorted versions of what he could easily be if he carries on as is.

The Penguin being the most obvious. Angry and hostile at the real world. (as he fucking should be) Left without parents and taking revenge on what he sees as the same people that put him there. Gotham's upper crust. (which is pretty much a direct mirror to what Batman spends his nights doing).

But then you have Catwoman. She is Batman unleashed Getting off on the sheer mayhem that you can cause as a nutcase in a mask. She spends most of her time just blowing shit up and breaking stuff.

Shit. Even SHRECK is just a dark mirror image of another splinter of Batman's psyche. A Gotham billionaire businessman who wishes to exploit rather than help the city. He is the evil Bruce Wayne.

I dunno. It's far from perfect. I just think there's some cool stuff in that script.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Well yea, that's called writing good villians.

That doesn't mean that it makes up for not having any Batman in your Batman movie.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Xtroid wrote:

Burton has no interest in Batman?

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2011/0 … ovies.html

As that article pretty clearly shows, yes.   Says right in there, multple times, that Burton's movies decentralized Batman and made the villains' stories more prominent.

When we say "Burton isn't interested in Batman" we're not saying Burton isn't enthralled by the trappings of the character, or in making him look badass on screen.   Clearly, he is interested in THAT.

The point is the protagonist of a movie is the one who undergoes a change, and that character isn't Batman in either Burton movie.  Batman starts and ends in exactly the same place both times.   He remains, always, That Crazy Mofo Batman.     This is in no way to say that's a bad thing.  That's a trope almost as common as The Hero's Journey:  The Broken AntiHero, and it happens to be one of my faves. 

The Road Warrior, Shane, almost any Kurosawa film, Constantine, the Priest character... even Nolan's Dark Knight use that trope.    The Broken AntiHero is separated from society, he can be coerced into helping the poor townsfolk rid themselves of a threat, but in the end he moves on, still an outcast.  And he doesn't get the girl, ever.    Or at least, the girl never gets HIM, because he's guaranteed to go off on his own again as the credits roll.

But since the Broken AntiHero doesn't change - he CAN'T change - he's not really a character.  He's paper-thin, if you try to dig into him more than a tiny bit ("His parents got killed, okay?"), you find there's nothing else to them.   And if you try to really explain their pain, they just become pathetic. 

That's what we mean when we say Burton isn't interested in telling Batman's story.  Batman doesn't have to have a "story", but he's a driving force in the other characters' stories.  Their reactions to him, and the way their lives are changed, is the story.

And you're going to hear me say the same thing when Dark Knight comes up.  Nolan got the backstory outa the way in the first film, so in Dark Knight he's not "interested" in Batman either.    Nolan wasn't even interested in the Joker, in the sense that we never learn a single thing about what made him so freakin' crazy.   And again, that's not a negative - the Joker's fun to watch, and so's Batman.  But Nolan's actual story is about the tragic fall of Harvey Dent, the only character in the movie with an arc.   And there's nothing wrong with that at all.