Topic: Sequels That Never Were (Thankfully).

Apropos to rumors that Michael Keaton was interested in a Beetlejuice sequel, I wanted to share this article from cracked.com.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19751_6- … es_p2.html

I'm not sure how apocryphal these are, but some of these are downright nuts.
Highlights include:

• Ei8ht - A direct sequel to Se7en, only this time Somerset has psychic powers.

• E.T. 2 - ET (Zrek) is hunted by racist conspecifics while Elliot is abducted and tortured in the process.

• Gump and Co. - Forrest continues to stumble through several more historically important events including OJ Simpson's White Bronco police chase.

I don't know if it's more of an indictment to those who tried to pass this schlock off or if it actually goes to show that Hollywood isn't as insane/desperate as we all think for quashing these abortions before they were made.

Does anyone else know of any other poorly treated sequels that never came about?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Sequels That Never Were (Thankfully).

Never heard of EI8HT but I believe it, since spec scripts are certainly rewritten into franchise installments occasionally (DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE was a non-DIE HARD spec called SIMON SAYS, iirc, and I, ROBOT started as an original script called HARDWIRED).

You can read the ET II: NOCTURNAL FEARS treatment here.

Dunno if there's a copy of the GUMP & CO. script out there, but the book certainly exists.

I know the script to GHOSTBUSTERS 3 Aykroyd passed around in the late 90s was by most accounts completely batshit (as were his first drafts to the other two, to be fair), involving the Ghostbusters going through a dimensional portal to Hell.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And don't get me started on South by Southwest, where Cary Grant would have ended up in Arkansas via an uncomfortable budget airline.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

if you're morbidly curious enough to find a copy somewhere, I own and have read about half of an ET sequel novel called "ET: The Green Planet" which picks up immediately after ET's ship takes off. He goes to his planet and ... hangs out? ... talks to his weird talking 'pet' thing that is described as having a hundred or so tendrils that it walks on and can dig through dirt very well, apparently. He tries and fails several times to send Elliot brain messages that always miss and hit a radio or a TV or an arcade machine or whatever nearby and he never gets through...

I got halfway in and realized that there's literally no actual story going on by that point. You just meet a bunch of weird aliens who talk about how awesome their planet is cause of all the different types of plant life and shit. Whoever wrote it must have been stoned out of their minds...

As far as movies that were in the pipe but never got made... hmm...

Well, the Gladiator 2 script they mention in that article... That kinda already exists...  sorta...  in a comicbook form. There's a comic called "Mr. Blank" that's just about the most bad-ass action-comedy movie never made. It's got time travel, giant robot samurais, a big-ass zepplin, ninjabots, guys that are thousands of years old pretending to be businessmen, a clone of a guy with super powers, a mutant mime with super powers, a russian half-demon, a really smart alternate take on the christian theology, a nice puppy dog, a robotic copy of a clone of a guy, hover bikes and a really angry little german scientist guy.

And also some dude named "Sam". With moxie.

It's fucking awesome.

Tim Burton's Superman Lives? The guy was going to put nic cage into a translucent neon-glowing sparkle-suit (even redesigning the "S" symbol), have him fly around a dark... the concept art I've seen makes it look like some kind of cavern or something, but with sci-fi shit going on with the walls. Like an underground lair, but massive in scale. Fighting a giant spikey metal ball thing that was apparently supposed to be brainiac. The various concept art I've seen of the suit showed a variety of little doodads. Superman was rumored to employ some sort of firearm as well, like an arm doohickey that would shoot lasers or rockets or some such bullshit, tho that info isn't anywhere online that I can see. I swear to god there's an old issue of Wizard! Magazine that had an interview with someone who was talking about giving superman weapons and armor and shit.

It's the prequels I'm worried about. They're making two cabin fever prequels as we speak, and I've heard people whispering in hushed tones about a saw prequel and/or spinoff. I think Lionsgate misses getting a reliable $30 Million or so every October.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-02-28 01:42:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The guy was going to put nic cage into a translucent neon-glowing sparkle-suit (even redesigning the "S" symbol)

Ah, yes how could I have forgotten those concept pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/nW3Da.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Di3AR.jpg

Talk about dodging a bullet . . .

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Superman by Tim Burton starring Nic Cage.... haha, now that I would pay money to see.

Short Circuit 3. They wrote a script where Johnny Five goes to college.

They almost took the Minority Report short story and made it a Total Recall sequel.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The first script to Die Hard was originally written as a sequel to Commando.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

which in turn was based on a book, which in itself was written as a sequel to THE DETECTIVE.

Also. I'm not 100% sure I buy that story (that it started out as a commando sequel). I don't think the dates work... Unless there were two scripts going at the same time based on the same book as rival projects... And die hard beat it?

Who Knows.

As mentioned earlier. Die Hard 3 started out as a Spec called Simon Says. What wasnt mention was Silver picked up said spec with an intention to make it into LETHAL WEAPON 3. But Gibson turned it down for the clownfest we ended up with.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dean wrote:

which in turn was based on a book, which in itself was written as a sequel to THE DETECTIVE.

Also. I'm not 100% sure I buy that story (that it started out as a commando sequel). I don't think the dates work... Unless there were two scripts going at the same time based on the same book as rival projects... And die hard beat it?

According to wiki-

'A sequel was written by De Souza and Frank Darabont, based on the 1979 book Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorp (which is, itself, a sequel to his 1966 novel The Detective, made into a film of the same name in 1968 featuring Frank Sinatra and Lee Remick), but Schwarzenegger was not interested in making a sequel as his previous sequel (Conan the Destroyer) was less successful critically and did not do as well domestically at the box office. The script was reworked with a new central character, eventually played by Bruce Willis, and was retitled Die Hard. The fictitious country of Val Verde is later nodded to in the sequel to Die Hard.'

That is the story I've always known. And Steven E. de Souza wrote both Commando and Die Hard, so I don't see how it's bollocks. Although, you never know smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-02-29 19:00:55)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hmm. Maybe it's just the Darabont revisions that came later then. Maybe trying to get the project up and running AFTER the success of DIE HARD.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm sure there are thousands of these things that get close to being made and then get shelved because someone took a step back and said "whoa...  this really isn't gonna work at all, is it?" But we'll probably never know about most of them because they don't generally announce movies until they're in production or if the project is big enough (like superman or a sequel to something huge) for anyone to care about them that early.

Akira is a project that they keep not shutting down. It needs to die. They wanted Keanu Reeves and Brad Pitt to play Tetsuo and Keneda, respectively. They're like 45. What in the name of all that is holy must they have done to the script that allowed for 45-50 year old versions of characters that are 15-18 in the books? Not to mention the weird "Americans playing americans with japanese names for no apparent reason" thing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down