Topic: The Abyss

Hey everybody, Teague here with the release of the commentary for The Abyss: Special Edition. Veteran Down in Fronter Trey had a hand in the making of this movie – literally, ha HA – as a puppeteer and movement designer for the main critters throughout the climax of picture, and comes to this episode as the wise ambassador of The Way Things Were. Us kids, we just don’t know.

Joining the crew this week is Ryan Wieber, who contributes about as much as any of us can in the face of Trey’s overwheming amount of experience with this often-ignored James Cameron epic.

It’s a makin’-movies episode of Down in Front, kids, so prepare for your minds to be blown thoroughly.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Abyss

Got a question (now that I finally got my hands on a copy of The Abyss) for everybody, but mostly for Trey -- do you consider this a perfect movie? It has great effects for its time and at the end it gets to its point of E.T. saying "peeeace", but by your standards does this stand up as a perfect movie?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whew, man, am I resuscitating a thread here or what? To make things worse, I'm doing it so that I can be That Guy.

I watched The Abyss with my Mom last night, who has been a cardiac nurse lo these 15 or so years. Today I'm listening to the commentary, and you mention that it's dumb of the characters to keep doing CPR for so long on Linds. While we were watching the movie, my Mom thought it was dumb of them to stop doing CPR so soon. She explained that when somebody is hypothermic and extremely cold, they are able to be resuscitated for a longer period than you would expect, sometimes as long as ten or fifteen minutes without brain damage. So, in her opinion, they should have done CPR and occasional defibs in shifts for a solid fifteen minutes before declaring her dead.

She did agree with whatever nameless EMT you mentioned who said that they should be trying to warm her up first and foremost, though.

She does not condone slapping the corpse.

Medical accuracy ftw.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awesome! This has been a good bump.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks like Cameron is trying to make a dive to the real Abyss.

http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02 … ?hpt=hp_c1

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Hasn't he been trying to do that since like...The Abyss?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I remember seeing a deep-sea special about tubeworms that live near these deep-sea vents. They were in this little sub thing that was specially built to withstand tremendous amounts of pressure, with windows that were like 6 inches thick and the structure was reinforced in like 5 different ways and all this stuff. The guy piloting the thing was all "ok, we're going to get closer to the vents, but not too close, because if we get within X feet from the vent, our windows will melt and our sub will go from having 20 square feet of space to 2 in about half a second" and I was like "I will never ever do that ever".

James Cameron is braver than I. Space and deep sea exploration would scare the shit out of me. If I ever found myself suddenly in a deep sea sub or on a space station, I would probably spend a couple hours just pissing myself and vomiting before I had the nerve to look out the window.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm massively enamored with the idea of deep sea and space exploration.

Also, exactly what Squiggles said.

*like post*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLr15BBBtrc

Here's a BBC documentary about someone who was dead for over an hour in the ice and was brought back to life

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's like they say, you're not dead until you're warm and dead.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://dsc.discovery.com/adventure/jame … gn=rssnws1

Crazy Jim.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He had to spend that Avatar money on something.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s320x320/547280_140642896062804_111287848998309_156698_1544890105_n.jpg

Well, he's down there.

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Good on him. Who can begrudge him those billions if he's doing things like that, rather than snorting coke off hookers.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

rtambree wrote:

Good on him. Who can begrudge him those billions if he's doing things like that, rather than snorting coke off hookers.

That's a low blow. Trey doesn't spend ALL his money that way.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Snail wrote:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s320x320/547280_140642896062804_111287848998309_156698_1544890105_n.jpg

Well, he's down there.

Typical. He gets all the way there and the first thing he does is tweet about it. And, he's lucky because my wifi hardly works from one room to the next in my flat.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Concept Art from The Abyss
http://ashdigital.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Abyss-Ark-Concept-Art.jpeg

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

rtambree wrote:

You think he went all that way and forgot to bring the hookers and blow?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:
rtambree wrote:

You think he went all that way and forgot to bring the hookers and blow?

The 7 mile down club is very exclusive.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't know if this was already discussed or not, but did you guys have some audio problems during this episode?  there seem to be large swaths of the film that are out of sync for me if I just go off the initial pause/unpause point...
sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Are you using the right version? I believe this is the directors edition they are using.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

yeah, I know I have the special edition because I saw the Nietzsche quote before the title card.  It happens for me when Jammer first sees the NTI.  The commentary goes from that scene to  "Garfield Joke"...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

so I played forward a bit in the movie and the part that it's supposed to sync up with is about 3 minutes later.  It's when Lindsey is developing film and Bud takes the black curtain off the port hole.  The Garfield Suction toy is right there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

switch wrote:

so I played forward a bit in the movie and the part that it's supposed to sync up with is about 3 minutes later.  It's when Lindsey is developing film and Bud takes the black curtain off the port hole.  The Garfield Suction toy is right there.

I watched this episode with commentary a long time ago, but I vaguely remember some sync problems like this.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They do go out of sync, and mention it in the commentary. At 46:28, they mention problems, and a half minute later re-sync to the film and tell you where they are.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down