Topic: Intermission 026 - Joss.

Some Joss.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Intermission 026 - Joss.

The date is wrong on the itunes, it says 1/1/2011.

Last edited by lab276 (2012-03-22 09:58:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd like to see Teague play Joss

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

As in, act as if I'm Joss?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, if they were to do a biopic or something. But I mean if he asked you to beat him at ping pong I'd probably watch that as well  cool

Ha.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, this was linked to on Whedonesque (someone else beat me to it), and the responses to it kind of mirror mine, but I'm nowhere near as harsh about it: There's some unfortunate, revisionist history going on here, coming from a group who don't seem to know much about it in the first place, didn't bother doing research but speak with such passion and authority, it's at least fun and enjoyable to listen to, if nothing else than to instigate some interesting discussions.

Boy, that was a hell of a long, run-on sentence. Sorry. Anyway....

The biggest issue here is regarding Dollhouse. Joss Whedon created that show. Eliza had a production deal with 20th Century Fox. She wanted to work with Joss again, so she invited him to lunch and they were just talking about how this business is all about trying to be someone else for other people and how she's trying to find and maintain her own identity through all that. She had also recently witnessed the struggles and triumphs of former child slaves and child soldiers in Uganda.

As they were talking about all of these things, the wheels started turning inside Joss's head, he excused himself to the restroom and when he came back he said, "It's going to be called Dollhouse and this is what it's going to be about". He then proceeded to lay it out for her and they used some of those points together to build this vehicle for Eliza so she could play all of the roles that she was never able to play before because Hollywood is very narrow-minded and short-sighted.

Dollhouse was their baby. It's okay if you spent a day with that baby and decided the baby was boring or obnoxious and you didn't want to spend anymore time with it. I get that. Dollhouse was a very cerebral show, dealing with very dark, heavy subject matter that not everyone wants to sit down with a big bucket of popcorn and watch/listen to/think about. If I had to rank Whedon's TV work, I would put Dollhouse at the bottom. Not because I think it's terrible. I do like the show, but I don't love it. While most are quick to point a finger at Fox (the network) as the saboteur, I think the problems with the show are more internal and fundamentally flawed and conceptually wonky, but that's a lengthy discussion for another time.

I did very much enjoy this episode, and I'll conclude my thoughts with this, which I copied from my comments posted on Whedoesque about this:

"I feel it's a bit snobby to dismiss what these guys are saying because they're not rabid Buffy or Dollhouse fans. There are Joss fans of all shapes and sizes and colors. Some love all of it, some love only certain parts of it. You can apply that to just about anything.

Beyond that, I would also argue this episode is worth listening to through completion. Once they get past the talk of Whedon's early TV work (and how much of it they haven't seen), not only do they get into what they have seen (Firefly and his feature film work, namely Twister and Serenity), but it's all about how much they totally love it and why. They talk about what makes Joss such a solid, efficient writer.

I've been listening to these guys for a couple years now. So they've not seen Buffy (except for Eddie, who has seen all of that show and loves it) and didn't care for the few episodes they've seen of Dollhouse. Big deal. A lot of people are in the same boat and that's okay. Personally, I'm still interested in what they have to say."

I also feel these comments made by two separate folks over there are worth mentioning:

"Oh, I have nothing against the fact that they aren't fans. I don't like that they make judgements and discuss things they don't know about. And I agree that their discussion gets more interesting after the first 7 or 8 minutes.

I never mind when someone doesn't like something, on 3 conditions.
One: They give it a chance
Two: They have actual criticism or reason behind thier dislike
Three: They don't talk as if they're experts on the subject and why it's terrible after only seeing a small portion (or none) of the work."

2nd commenter:

"Wow, what? Joss didn't know Dollhouse was about slaves until later? And he didn't even create it, it was Eliza's idea she brought to him? I don't have a problem listening to opinions that oppose my own on podcasts - in fact I do it all the time - but this makes me crazy. Get your facts straight and maybe I'll listen to your podcast. I couldn't even get through 4 minutes of it."

Last edited by johnpavlich (2012-03-22 22:59:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My only problem with Joss is his need to kill off characters by seemingly random events.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*shrug*

I don't expect this to ingratiate us particularly well to anyone who's a hardcore Joss fan, because, yeah, we just know what we know. This isn't a lecture series or anything. It disappoints me that people couldn't set aside their nerd rage to enjoy the conversation for what it was, but I don't blame anyone. If I listened to some folks do a thirty minute podcast on balloon animals and they got some facts wrong, I guess I'd be - well, I wouldn't really care, but I'd be miffed-ish. Because balloons are important to me.

So, like I said, *shrug.* I forgot Whedonesque was a thing and that this would end up there - and I'm glad it did! - but this obviously was not geared towards the Whedonesque audience.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's a fair point, and with that hindsight, I guess I'm glad I wasn't the one to post this there. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For some reason this one isn't showing up in the iTunes feed yet. It's been awhile since the last Intermission, so maybe it got lost on the way there.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So if anything came from this, I finally watched Twister. Yep.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Invid wrote:

For some reason this one isn't showing up in the iTunes feed yet. It's been awhile since the last Intermission, so maybe it got lost on the way there.

holden

I fixed it.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

http://bitcast-a.v1.fra1.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/Avengers-BTS-Joss-Whedon-s.jpg

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

A bearded balding ginger Captain America? What is the world coming to?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd actually be way more excited for that version.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-03-29 04:12:21)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Jimmy B wrote:

A bearded balding ginger Captain America? What is the world coming to?

...Scotland?

I'm neither ginger or bearded!

Although, as for balding........ sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah me too =[

The best thing... Numfar... Played by Joss himself.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

I do love that scene, even if that arc wasn't the best. It did introduce me Amy Acker, though, so I can't fault it, really big_smile

And Andy Hallett is missed sad

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-03-29 23:51:43)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I rather liked the pylea arc myself  smile

It bored me. It had good things about it- that scene, Amy Acker, Andy Hallett in general but I felt it sort of petered out at the end.

Anyone else want one of these for their laptop?

http://a1.s6img.com/cdn/box_003/prev_13/286984_111390114-laptopmac13_l.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I want one..... where could I get one?!

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

....um yeah

ZangrethorDigital.ca