Re: Sad Max

Plus, Gary's an awesome name for a fish.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finally saw this today (didn't have internet access at work and phone reception is spotty and shut up I don't have to justify myself). While everything about it was very good, I was most impressed by how powerful the performance was, and how completely it commanded my attention. Just before Max goes outside, there's so much intense and complex emotion going on in that scene, and it would have been really easy to overdo it or make it feel forced, but I believed everything Max was going through. You also did a great job of crafting the ups and downs -- like following that scene with the manic Doritos scene. It's a really great, unique piece and you should definitely be proud of it.

Also today happened to be my last day at my current gig, and watching a piece like this on loss and self-reflection made it a way more emotionally complicated day than it had any right to be.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Wow, thanks Mike.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've said things in private, but let me partially echo Mike's sentiment.  This thing lives and dies (no pun intended) by performance, and I truly feel like the performance Teague gives anchors it.  Watching it again, I feel like the best description I can give of the music is that it feels so organic that it practically leaks out of Max, as opposed to him performing it.  I may be in the minority, but the first song for Gary floored me, and I think its the best song by far.  I was engaged the whole time, it packed a deep emotional punch, and had just the right amount of humor.  I liked it even better the second time.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm so glad you guys liked it.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

On my way to work this morning the first line from the last song popped into my head and I almost started crying.

cool  cool  cool

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

TheMargarineMan wrote:

So, are you planning on doing any other musicals/songs in general down the road?
'Cause I think I could use some more Teague songs in my music library.

I've been saying this for years, but he never seems to listen.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So much ass-kissing.... Looks like I have to once again be the lone dissenting voice and point out how blatantly Sad Max rips off the greatest music video ever made.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMMH1_RfAvbgcgcMK_GaF_EvMasqal5wO3MHx-v9H_dh3xysupTw-ahQ06jA

http://www.zarban.com/sad-max.jpg

/can eat my dinna in a fancy restaurant

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I like Zarban.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

I've said things in private, but let me partially echo Mike's sentiment.  This thing lives and dies (no pun intended) by performance, and I truly feel like the performance Teague gives anchors it.  Watching it again, I feel like the best description I can give of the music is that it feels so organic that it practically leaks out of Max, as opposed to him performing it.  I may be in the minority, but the first song for Gary floored me, and I think its the best song by far.  I was engaged the whole time, it packed a deep emotional punch, and had just the right amount of humor.  I liked it even better the second time.

I told Teague more or less the same thing during our commentary. I love Gary's song. Poor fish.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That reminds me. Max really needs more guyliner.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

He's sad; neither emo nor fabulous.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In case I'm not the only one who missed it, John Pavlich and Teague sat down and did a Sofadogs commentary for Sad Max: linky

Yeah, for reals. I'm psyched that John wanted to do a commentary, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Banner I made, pimping Sad Max on my "blog".
http://ashdigital.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Sad-Max.png

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Matt Vayda wrote:

In case I'm not the only one who missed it, John Pavlich and Teague sat down and did a Sofadogs commentary for Sad Max: linky

That was fun.

BTW, I tooootally want a Mp3 version of 1 million subscribers.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-03-29 18:10:08)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

This is my go-to thing the next time somebody says, "I can't do a film because I don't have ___ lens" or "the kickstarter didn't pull through". This is such a perfect project for Teague I can't stand it. The premise! The fact that he gets to actually write a musical (heck, even edit the thing) through a persona- super great.

And oh- I've watched it 3 times, and only now realized your beard gets longer throughout the deal.

But yes! Very entertaining, great acting/writing- everything everybody's said. You should definitely do more stuff like this.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thanks Ian. Means a lot coming from you sir.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

THis should spawn a whole separate discussion of creating work that plays to your strengths and resources.  Truly talented people are able to pull it off BECAUSE of their limitations, not in spite of.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

THis should spawn a whole separate discussion of creating work that plays to your strengths and resources.  Truly talented people are able to pull it off BECAUSE of their limitations, not in spite of.

So how's that PT edit coming, Eddie?

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:
Eddie wrote:

So how's that PT edit coming, Eddie?

I quit it since Topher Grace did it.  That's the sort of thing that if it's been done, I suddenly have no interest.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I loved this film. Teague does a fantastic job of keeping you interested throughout. I have said many time how much i enjoy watching it and sending other people to watch it. The songs are well written and performed and Teague's performance is very heartfelt and emotional. I can't say enough good things about this film. I forgot that i signed up to the forums, so sorry I haven't said all this before. That and i know someone who has a fish named Gary.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Recorded a cover of A Level Incomplete, singing an octave above the original, at Teague's recommendation. Botched a measure and one word, but deal with it. I can't even play piano. Or sing.

password: garythefish

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Nice work mate, well sung and played.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fucking awesome.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down