The Apocarypha

Larry Ceder

Michelle Monaghan

Refusal of the Call (Hero's Journey)

Encyclopedia Brown

Holy Hand Grenade

Satanus (Deus) ex machina

Re: Constantine

I thought this was a pretty good commentary.

Also, when he's drowning her in the tub, I don't think he actually kills her. What I think is happening is this: It's established that subconsciously she can access her powers, but can't use the consciously because she has denied them for so long. What Constantine is doing is forcing her to use them to a degree that forces her to be aware of them again, such as forcing her to travel to hell. When you're drowning, your mind panics and will do anything to get you out of that situation, and when it realizes Constantine isn't going to let her up, and she can't force him to, it takes another route to escape, namely by crossing over to hell.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2010-05-18 01:33:54)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Three things I loved about this commentary:

1. The fact that Fig loved the movie even though he apparently had no idea what actually happened in it.

2. The multiple, unresolved times that Trey completely misunderstands something that Fig says

3. The argument over Trey's correct pronunciation of "Weiss," followed by Trey's well-intentioned but utterly incorrect pronunciation of "Djimon Hounsou."

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jie-mon Hahn-soo is how Francis Lawrence pronounces the name in the official commentary, and I figger he oughta know, so I'm sticking by it.

And I often misunderstand what Fig says, so these things often go unresolved.

Greeeaaat commentary guys. It's weird, but this is the first one in quite a while actually that i truly enjoyed listening too, like when you guys first started up. Maybe it's just me, but it feels like you guys have kinda slippped into this sort of drudgery of movies you all kinda hate and the commentaries were just mostly filled with alot of groaning and sighing...and arguing, lot's of that too.

Again that might be just me. But this one was a helluva alot of fun.

And I really don't have alot to say on it though, although i nearly killed my self at "Then maybe she should stick in her Vagina, cause obviously he has no interest there!!" I had literally just taken a rather large swig of Iced Tea at the exact moment that burst out...I nearly died...literally.

Good times people, good times.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

i nearly killed my self at "Then maybe she should stick in her Vagina, cause obviously he has no interest there!!"

Like I said in the recording, we should have just ended there.  G'night everybody!

I imagine that line is a shoo-in for Ryan's DIF: Year Two compilation reel...

It was truly a thing of beauty.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I enjoyed this commentary guys, it was great.  I remember not being thrilled by this movie when I first saw it, however, watching it with you guys I have a new appreciation for it and now desire to purchase it.

I surprised you never when into describing Constantine as an antihero.  I thought he would be an example of the quintessential antihero, being a so unlikable and nontraditional good guy.

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think Constantine was really an anti-hero, like Tony Soprano or The Punisher. Actually, he does a lot of really good deeds. Even if they're done for selfish reasons, and even if he's a jerk, he's still ridding the world of evil.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

3. The argument over Trey's correct pronunciation of "Weiss," followed by Trey's well-intentioned but utterly incorrect pronunciation of "Djimon Hounsou."

Well, Trey pronounced it the same way I've heard it pronounced in interviews and talking head shows. So unless everyone is wrong except you, I think he said it just fine. big_smile

I watched Constantine for the first time in a couple of years (saw it in the cinema then on dvd) to prepare for the commentary and I must say, Shia didn't annoy me this time. I must be used to him by now in other things. His character in i Robot still bugs me,though (saw it on tv a few weeks ago) totally pointless. At least Chas helped.

Great commentary by the way, fellas smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2010-05-18 12:37:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is consistant with what I've read and what's on Wikipedia.

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2010-05-18 22:04:21)

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And the director of Constantine (and Djimon's IMDB page fwiw) say it's JIE-mon. 

I'm still betting the director of the movie knows how the man's name is pronounced.

Awesome movie, good commentary. I could do with a couple hundred less "and THIS is another time where they don't have an "as you know" scene"", but it was still awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wonder if, now that I've seen the film, its another case where I like it because I'm not too familiar with the books. I have the first collection but am more familiar with Sandman, which sort of shared this universe. There's definitely a case to be made that movies should be judged on their own with no regard to how they compare to the source material... although I'll continue to ignore things like From Hell because they seem to have missed the entire #$%&ing point of that book smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So random thought just popped into my head. (Namely cause I think about his kinda of stuff daily). If they contiined this series on...with the way that they have established thier heavan/hell. So that you simply exist in the exact same place as you died for an eternity just on a different plane. It's perfect setup for a really cool ghost concept...individuals stuck on a plane between planes or something like that...

<wanders off into the woods talking to himself under his breath>

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I like Constantine - but always thought it was due to my own personal peripheral involvement with the f/x in it that made me biased, coz I never before met anyone that actually did (excepth my Niece, in her über-goth-phase).

However, I have to differ with Trey on the Keanu performance. Frankly, this is what almost breaks it for me. Even though I see the good movie that is there, and watch it for that, Keanu's woodenness takes me out of it completely at certain places.

But looking past that..... which is doable, yet hard.... I like it a lot.

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

And the director of Constantine (and Djimon's IMDB page fwiw) say it's JIE-mon. 

I'm still betting the director of the movie knows how the man's name is pronounced.

Indeed. I'd also trust the man himself- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdZX_69xIaw

smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MasterZap wrote:

I never before met anyone that actually did (excepth my Niece, in her über-goth-phase)

Go onnnnnn...

Anyway, great to have you on the forums, Zap!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Digimon."

Also, I hosted bad movie night here in san fran this week. Making fun of "I, Robot." There were scenes in that so boring, I got a laugh by demanding more Shia with my robots. I must have stopped before the end of the credits on Constantine, because I didn't think he got an arc here either. My bad.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pft! Arc-angel!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

Pft! Arc-angel!

*SMACK*

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I agree with those guys. The fun's back, y'all. Good show.

I had one of those weird experiences with this movie. I saw it once years back, probably on cable, and didn't really care that much for it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't get it, either. Like for example — and I'm not at all proud to admit this — I totally didn't get the whole twins thing until a good two thirds of the way through the movie. And when you guys announced that this one was coming, I was pretty meh. But I didn't have anything good at the top of my Netflix queue, so I figured what the heck.

I watched it last night — sans commentary — and wow, I really dug it! It's not the best movie ever or anything, but it's really very good.

It's a rare movie that overestimates the intelligence of its audience.

And just for the record? Ever since that one shot of her walking toward camera in that veil, Rachel Weisz has been my girlfriend. So back off. I seen 'er first.

(Master Zap, huh? Small damn world.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know Zap?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not personally. But it was just this past weekend that I listened to the fxguide podcast he did with Mike Seymour last fall.

(I'm totally just assuming it's the same Zap. How many Master Zaps could there be?)

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-05-20 22:44:13)

Thumbs up Thumbs down