Topic: #27 - Some Hunger Games

Hey guys, so here we go. We're experimenting a lot with how the best way to handle this switch is, so excuse our dust for a week or so as everything smooths out. This should appear in your regular iTunes feed, and your Intermission feed. Shortly, the Intermission feed will be renamed, and episodes that aren't commentaries will appear there. We'll be adding a third feed, where the commentaries will go. And the existing main iTunes feed for DIF will have both.

This is also temporarily showing up as an Intermission episode, that'll change. Etcetera, etcetera. Anyway. Here's the episode!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: #27 - Some Hunger Games

Feedburner sucks, and started adding trackers to the feed about half way through the old feed, so you may see some duplicates in the iTunes feed before Pulp Fiction where the description is different. Let me know how it looks to you guys.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

I haven't seen Hunger Games or John Carter, but I still enjoyed this one. I always like hearing you guys discuss story structure, and as far as JC... I'm just fascinated by the failure of that thing. I didn't want it to bomb or anything, it wasn't something that was even on my radar until recently... But just the sheer number of bad decisions centered around a $250 million dollar "tentpole." It's amazing. I probably would have gone to see it if the lead had been pretty much anybody else. Except Sam Worthington.

I also heartily approve of the Brothers Bloom recommendation. That's a really fun movie, and Mark Ruffalo, Rachel Weisz, and Adrian Brody make a charming trio.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wouldn't it be better, with the iTunes, to have the two feeds as they are? Keep the main one for commentaries, and the now renamed Intermission one for everything that's not commentaries? It'd be it more organised that way. Although if you've already worked everything out, then never mind.

And without yet having listened to the commentary, I'd like to point out that in its 29th day in release, John Carter finally managed to beat The Hunger Games' opening day.

Last edited by lab276 (2012-04-09 11:24:00)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This episode format works really well, guys. I look forward to future episodes.

It's funny that John Carter's marketing was such a disaster for so long. In the week before its release, you couldn't watch TV for five minutes without seeing an ad for it (advertising how Star Wars and Avatar built on its shoulders, of course).

Here's the article Brian mentioned (I think). If not, it's still a great read, well worth looking into if you're curious about this sort of thing.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

lab276 wrote:

Wouldn't it be better, with the iTunes, to have the two feeds as they are? Keep the main one for commentaries, and the now renamed Intermission one for everything that's not commentaries? It'd be it more organised that way. Although if you've already worked everything out, then never mind.

And without yet having listened to the commentary, I'd like to point out that in its 29th day in release, John Carter finally managed to beat The Hunger Games' opening day.

We decided to have a main feed with everything that most people are already signed up to, and then separate feeds for commentaries and the main show if you only want one or the other. We're going to see how that works for a while and make changes as necessary.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Loved it, but I'd suggest moving the smaller topics to the beginning as opposed to right at the end. Also, you mentioned DLR in the third anniversary show Teague...steal Ask the Panel!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll be honest, I was absolutely heartbroken when I learned that Stanton was completely responsible for Carter's marketing disaster. I adore Wall-E, and I wanted nothing more than for him to make it out of JC okay. But.. eh. Damn. Are marketing campaigns headed by the film's director a common occurance? Because if not, I can totally see why now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought it was ok, like an extended Intermission, but not having seen either Hunger Games or John Carter it didn't do much for me - and that may be a problem with this format if you're going to really get into it and do more. With a commentary, you'll have it on DVD/bluray and thus it's very easy to also get that and be able to follow on or have seen it already but current theatrical releases (or worst, releases that have just been and gone) mean it's much less accessible, it'll be months before I can really engage with this episode ('oh that's what they meant by so and so' etc.).

And also, considering that you all had much to say about both films, why not just do a proper commentary for each? The Intermission format I feel works because it's discussion of broad topics that don't fit well into a single commentary, but an hour long discussion of a movie or two just seems a bit halfbaked, especially when it's two movies that have no common theme or connection other than the fact that they are recent releases. It's unfortunate as I feel that you all could do some great commentaries for Hunger Games and John Carter, but you'll likely not do these now because of this episode.

I believe the hour long discussion format might be better suited to discuss TV shows or something not already covered by Commentaries and Intermission. But that's just one fella's opinion.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Respectfully, I disagree. As someone who doesn't always watch the movies along with the commentaries, this format works well, because I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I never have to think, "Now, what scene could they be referring to here?" It's just a straight-up discussion with nothing else to get behind.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm with Red on this.

Oh well.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I'm pretty much completely with Red as well.

It might be just because it's newish (Though let's be honest, it's basically just the intermission, just with...less... structure) but it feels very scatterbrained, and not in the good way that you get in commentaries, because that always has a central core that you guys always eventually come back too, no matter how far you stray down the side alleys (And of course, those side alleys are usually some of the most hilarious/thought provoking/insightful moments on DiF). And if you aren't actually watching the movie, most of the time it doesn't matter, because the actual film is just used at that central spine around which to talk.

With this, it kinda wandered over here for a bit and then it went over there and then it just sorta ended. IDK, I can't say I'm a fan, but we'll have to see how it develops.

And I'm also in agreement that it's disappointing that we probably won't be seeing the commentaries for Hunger Games or JC.

On the other hand, about this actual episode. There was some interesting stuff, but it all felt very truncated and shorthanded, never really delving into anything past the surface and first impressions in the way DiF does so well.

Ah well, this is long enough by now. Just my 2cents on the whole matter.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-04-10 17:01:22)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Bear in mind, just because we talked about these movies here doesn't mean these (or any other movies we discuss) are exempt from the commentary pool. Part of the fun of this formatting + commentaries is we can talk about current movies currently, in addition to analyzing ones we have access to at home.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh...well alright then. I guess I was thrown off by you guys saying up til now, that this new format would be for movies you didn't think you could fill a commentary with.

Carry on.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I watched Hunger Games tonight and then listened to the commentary on the L line home.  Liked the commentary. 

I agreed a lot with Teague's assessment.  The movie was fine, but I wanted to connect with it and never really did.  The camera shaking drove me mad [as in insane (mad is a much better word than insane)] and the editing felt abrupt to me.

I thought the casting was weird, although when I read the book a long time ago I predicted that Stanley Tucci would appear as a main character in the film version of the book.  I did however make the same announcement upon reading "The Bible" and "Rocket Girls: The Last Planet" and have yet to been proven right on those two.

I also thought the way they delivered information to the audience was weird ("as you know those are tracker jackers and they induce hallucinations...")  I'd be interested in anyone's opinion, because that aspect of adapting a novel always fascinates me.  That and Toby Jones.  I love that man.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well I liked this ep a lot. I have no problem with recent movie discussions, it's always fun to listen to you guys, though I wish the episodes were longer (I love 2-3 hour movie podcasts personally). I think if I had to criticize, I'd say you could use a bit more structure, look at how FilmJunk and Slashfilmcast do it, I think that's a good model to follow.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

though I wish the episodes were longer (I love 2-3 hour movie podcasts personally).

This. You guys have no idea the sort of joy the very idea of 3 whole, 4 hour commentaries brought to my soul. tongue

But seriously though.

And I have love talking about recent movies, but just so long as it isn't at the expense of a later commentary for that movie. Which turns out it isn't as much of that as we thought, so woot.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-04-11 10:24:10)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Wow...shocked at the titanic response.  Glad y'all didn't mind the 3D, but it reaaaally bothered me on this one.  I spent most of the movie trying really hard to not pay attention to it, but eventually just gave up and was completely taken out of the story.

Personally I think cameron's view on 3D is backwards.  I don't think any movie can play in 3D, and I don't think it brings you any closer (emotionally) to the story.  In fact, I think it does the opposite.  To use one of them obnoxious film school terms, a story is supposed to take place in its own diegetic universe.  That's the entire point of the medium! 

Now when jack and rose are screwing in the back of a car on a ship in 1912, I should NOT be there.  I am sitting in a movie theater in 2012.  Why exactly am I supposed to be part of their world, or they mine?  To me, it makes the entire world of the story lose credibility.  When the ship is sinking, through story I should be able to experience it emotionally...but I should not actually BE there, because I WASN't there.  Only the characters should be there.

To me, the only media that should be in 3D are the ones that acknowledge their audience...at least thematically or in the premise.  Video games, concert films, any given IMAX exploration film.  Narrative films I enjoyed in 3D like Hugo and Avatar were predicated on openly inviting their audience to a visceral experience.  And, personally, neither of them play for me in 2D.

But a standard, old-fashioned narrative like Titanic?  I'd rather see the 2D version any day of the week.  3D has its place in a small niche, but if Cameron has his way we are all in trouble.  Not only does it not add anything meaningful to the experience, but it ruins and demeans 100 years of storytelling.

Sorry...rant end.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Interesting points. I like that angle.

So to speak.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Fine, I'll read the damn book, so I can see the damn movie, so I can listen to that damn episode."

As a result I don't have anything in particular to add to the discussion, other than to wonder why Katniss is written as the most naive person left on the planet.

Thanks guys, I miss my district CA friends.  Florida could totally be considered an arena, but so far I'm surviving.