Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

The Mysterious Cities Of Gold. Family-friendly PG rating. Get Verbinski or Spielberg to direct. Throw a couple hundred million bucks at it. Get some fresh young up-and-coming stars like Smitt-McFee or Asa Butterfield.

It's a period fantasy show set in the late 1800's I believe about kids trying to find the lost city of El Dorado and having humorous and exciting adventures. The Last Airbender minus the bending and fantasy creatures plus ancient atlantean-style technology and a hidden city made of gold.

Also, the theme song is amazing:

Well I guess it's set in the 1500's then. Thanks intro video. My bad, y'all tongue

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-03-21 01:06:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mysterious Cities of GOld is on Netflix streaming.  I caught up with some the other day.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow, how did I miss that!? Thanks for the heads up.

Too bad they don't have Bell & Sebastian on there. I finally tracked down someone selling bootlegs on DVD a while back. If you've not seen it and you understand french, there's a legitimate DVD box set you can import (which I have) in two parts. One of the best children's shows ever made, in my opinion.

In other randomness:

I am amused at the reactions this trailer is getting:
1/3 of people say "OMG this looks fucking awesome!"
1/3 of people say "OMG this looks fucking cheesy and stupid!"
1/3 of people say "OMG this is so unrealistic and stupid!"

Myself, I agree with all of them. It looks stupid and unrealistic and cheesy, but completely off the rails and awesome. It makes me sad that 2/3 of people are apparently unable to enjoy something like this for what it is. This is clearly not trying to win realism awards. The only thing I wish it had was way more cheesy dialogue and stupid action one-liners coming from Lincoln.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dark Coyote wrote:

And I just saw that Micheal Bay announced that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie he is working on will not have them be Mutants, but instead Aliens. At which point I asked "When will Hollywood stop raping our childhoods?"

Hey, anything Bay does can't rape the comic any more then the original cartoon did smile The first live action film is still the best adaptation.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Noboru Ishiguro passed away yesterday. If you were alive in the 80's and watched anime on TV or bought anime on VHS, then you probably know who he is. For those of you who don't, he was one of the reasons anime became a thing in the US. He was a director and oversaw some of the most popular shows at the time. Yamato, Robotech/Macross, Gatchaman, Lupin the 3rd, Astroboy...

He's also one of the reasons people in the US believe that all anime looks the same and is about giant robots and cheesy sci-fi. His stuff was so popular in Japan that it's all a lot of TV stations in the US bothered to license. The stigma exists largely because we were only ever exposed to the work of one guy. It wasn't until later that they started importing other shows like Voltron, and most of them were just ripping off either Gatchaman or Robotech.

Huge influence in anime and on a lot of people who were kids in that era (myself included). It is a sad day, indeed. I think I'll go watch some Gatchaman.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

People think anime all looks the same because of the big eyes the creator of Astro Boy borrowed from Disney films, and which were then copied by all the other Japanese studios. I will admit, I haven't payed much attention to his name in the credits, as those of the character designer or writer often jumped out at me more. I'm very impressed that he was still active, with a career lasting from the 60's till now. Mind you, that could be a result of how little money there is to be made actually making anime.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/hunger-games-battle-royale-with-cheese-meme.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

I am amused at the reactions this trailer is getting:
1/3 of people say "OMG this looks fucking awesome!"
1/3 of people say "OMG this looks fucking cheesy and stupid!"
1/3 of people say "OMG this is so unrealistic and stupid!"

Myself, I agree with all of them.

Some of us have know how awesome Abe Lincoln was for years....

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Just watched X-Men: First Class. I don't understand what the hubbub was. I thought it was worse than X3.

The set and costumes are a wreck of occasional, half-hearted waves at 1962. The script is a mess. It's basically the same story as the first X-Men movie, for one thing. For another, the only decent line of dialog is "Turn the nuclear reactor to 100% and see that I'm not disturbed." Except for the BabyMutants! scenes, the first 25 minutes is promising, and then Moira MacTaggart gets completely lost. The vague love quadrangle is awful, as is the TeenMutantDanceParty! sequence.

January Jones is terrible. Jennifer Lawrence is an embarrassment, and she's taking over from a fashion model. Think of that: a fashion model was more menacing and emotive. Michael Fassbender is great until he drops all pretense at an accent and turns into the Lucky Charms leprechaun at the end.

Also, the Cinemax Dish Network rating clearly promised N and SC, and there was no N or SC.

Zarban wrote:

Just watched X-Men: First Class. I don't understand what the hubbub was. I thought it was worse than X3.

I personally wouldn't go that far but I didn't think it was as great as others made it out to be. It was all a bit- 'meh'.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I went to an advanced screening of Cabin in the Woods on April 2nd, host by Shock Till You Drop, and they just posted the post show audience reactions (including me, wearing my Nationals shirt and hat).
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/16 … -you-think

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

I enjoyed First Class enough to watch it twice.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

First Class good elements, but those are maybe like 5% of the movie. Otherwise pretty much everything Zarban said.

Also I'm still remarkably amused by the whole "training" scene.

"We're gonna have to work hard, and it'll be tough, and the only way we're gonna get through this is with each other."
*3 days later*
"Well now that we're all awesome and amazing, with each of us an amazing piece of new unheard of technology that was designed and built yesterday, let's do this shit."

I guh buh, what?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I agree that the way it's cut feels a lot like that, but I'm sure it's not their intentions.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just watched The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) and Sudden Death (1995). Error Flynn's romp in the woods was a fun popcorn movie in Old Hollywood style like few others. Wonderful and yet also missing some obvious opportunities that Michael Bay would have hit out of the park (like editing for best suspense and careful set-up or maximum payoff).

JCVD's Die-Hard-in-a-Hockey-Arena was fun and ridiculous and great, considering what we're talking about and the fact that I'm not really a JCVD fan.

EDIT: Also, yesterday, I watched Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, a late entry in the Hammer horror line. It was fun and very different from pretty much any other vampire picture. Very clever, altho a bit flat. The commentary echoed my sentiment that it was kind of amazing that it wasn't picked up as a TV show or even given a sequel.

Last edited by Zarban (2012-04-14 21:36:26)

vidina wrote:

I agree that the way it's cut feels a lot like that, but I'm sure it's not their intentions.

I'm sure it wasn't, but good intentions does not a good movie make.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I saw Killer Elite so you don't have to. It was boring and forgettable. At least Al Pacino seemed to be having fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By the way, in Robin Hood, the horse ridden by Maid Marian is Trigger (then called Golden Cloud) in his film debut. The horse was almost immediately selected and subsequently purchased by Roy Rogers and remained a stallion his whole life but was never bred. What were they thinking? It would be like breeding the Batmobile!

Imagine paying a fee to meet Batman (Roy Rogers was that big) and the Batmobile. Then the Batmobile fucks your car and gives you a little mini-Batmobile of your own to raise and drive. How awesome would that be?! ALL THE AWESOME, that's how much!

I watched the Asylum version of The Three Musketeers the other day. It wasn't very good, but it was so close to being very watchable. They kept missing all of these great opportunities to throw awesome one-liners out there, or they throw the wrong ones out and kill the vibe.

Example: There's a torture scene where they're torturing D'artagnan for no particular reason, and the torturer guy (who looks like he was actually caught in a fire, so if that was makeup, then great job...  but I don't think it was...) asks her where the three musketeers are and she mumbles something and then one of the musketeers sneaks on him and starts hitting him or something.

What they should have done was get a close-up insert of her saying "right behind you!", then the guy just cuts his throat or stabs him in the back of the head or something. Boom, down one fight scene, you got a funny scene AND something pretty brutal and awesome and you didn't have to shoot a clumsy fight scene.

Also, there's a shot in the trailer where one of the guys punches a helicopter and that shot was not actually in the film. I feel cheated, because that made me think the movie would be full of people punching helicopters and dual-wielding chainguns and shit like that. Instead it was mostly really bad Mission Impossible type stuff bookended by hilariously awesome action sequences.

EDIT: I also had a hard time getting over the fact that one of the guys has dual ponytails, one above the other. And somehow he still had sidehair hanging behind his ears.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-04-15 01:47:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"So close to watchable." -Squiggly_P

There's your pull quote.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's amazing. So applicable to so many movies.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So I was wandering the wonderful random paths of ImDB today, when I found what looked to be a pretty cool newish TV series. Falling Skies. So I decided, what the hell.

I just finished the premiere,

AND IT IS AWESOME.

Basically, take The Walking Dead, replace Zombies with invading aliens, add an actual sense of humor, replace the dipshit kid with one whos pretty kinda good, and then just make the whole thing actually good.

Oh and add Noah Wyle as History professor turned apocalyptic soldier and Colin Cunningham being rockstar apocalyptic gang leader.

And yes, it's just as awesome as it sounds.

Only down side is the effects suffer from being a lowish budget TV show, but they did a cool thing with some puppetry so I gotta give em that.

EDIT:

V.

Finally got around to starting this one. It's been sitting on my list for a while now. The first time I tried watching it, for reason I just got horribly disgusted with it within 5 minutes and just turned it off. I honestly have no idea what I was on at the time cause it's actually pretty awesome.

Though it does suffer from one of the things I hate about studios/networks, and thats the whole thing of having to explain your entire show in one episode so that they can decide whether they want to buy it or not. Because when I was hearing about V from other people I was expecting (Or maybe hoping) that it would be the sort of thing where it's a slow gradual reveal and it spans a season or 2, and it's really gradual and subversive. But nope, it's just BAM, suck my giant truth of the V cock. So that was dissappointing.

What is never disappointing though is Morena Baccarin in short hair. Oh yes indeed.

Oh yeah, and I guess Alan Tudyk and bunch of other people are in there too, but my gods Morena.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-04-15 09:22:07)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Just watched "The Thing"(2011). It was all in all pretty decent. And it really saved itself completely in the last two minutes. Having watched the original is an absolute must.

And, a little fun fact; all Norwegians in the film are profiled Norwegian actors. Good to see that, for once, instead of just trying to learn Americans some Norwegian and get away with it.

EDIT: Except from Sander. He's Danish, but it fit nicely anyway.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2012-04-16 23:49:11)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmmm, I watched the premiere for Falling Skies a while back and didn't think much of it. I remember it being implausible (as opposed to unbelieveable) with a very poorly established world (herds of survivors walking along roads in broad daylight?) which made it hard to really take it seriously. Maybe it improves as the series goes on as I felt like it was more of an execution problem.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down