Topic: 300

Jeffery posits this might be the most polarizing movie we've ever done.

I'm curious now, on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being "perfectly enjoyable," 1 being "worthless," how would you rate 300?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: 300

No way is this more polarizing than JJ Trek.

If I had to give it a number, i'd say 4.5 to 5.

Agreed on a 4.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Like one and a half. I'm tempted to say one, but I can't because it was still better than Transformers 2.

I think it's Roger Ebert who says that his base criterion for judging a film is whether watching it is a more worthwhile experience than staring at a blank screen for the same length of time. By that metric, I'd say 300 failed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Did we skip episode 58? The ID for Constantine is 57, but the ID for this is 59. Also, the Discuss link goes to Constantine.

And 2.5.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

300 hasn't been released yet, just the discussion thread. For some reason.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You mean I'm seeing into the future?! My god... it's full of stars....

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

First viewing: 2.5
Repeated viewings: 1.5

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's a difference between good and enjoyable, but this is a good movie to laugh at smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought I knew you people.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah you guys make me SICK!

sparta

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love how Eddie completely forgot that they DID change the costumes for the movie. In that they were all bottomless in the book.

Repressing much?

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Greg...would you quit listening to the commentaries early and then blabbing about them? Some of us actually wait until they're released.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

4.5 - it's good fun. Folks that don't like this one I don't understand. It stumbles a little by having a boring and underdeveloped subplot back in Sparta but otherwise what's not to like?

Worse than Transformers 2? Worse than staring at a blank screen? It's hard to take such overblown exaggeration seriously.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:

Greg...would you quit listening to the commentaries early and then blabbing about them? Some of us actually wait until they're released.

Yeah, I have to endorse this policy.

I often have episodes up in advance for one reason or another, I don't mind folks sniffing them out, but hold off on discussion of the actual commentary until the release pls.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

I love how Eddie completely forgot that they DID change the costumes for the movie. In that they were all bottomless in the book.

Repressing much?

My retort will wait until Sunday.

...but when Sunday comes, it's on and crackin'.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:
maul2 wrote:

Yeah, I have to endorse this policy.

I often have episodes up in advance for one reason or another, I don't mind folks sniffing them out, but hold off on discussion of the actual commentary until the release pls.

Oh, sorry sorry sorry. I thought the release was out, hence the thread.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's up.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would like to point out that, despite what the front page currently says, I was not present for the 300 commentary.     In case you listen to it and assume I am just being uncharacteristically quiet. 

Eddie was a much more appropriate 4th because he had watched the movie all the way through.   And for some reason was willing to do so again.

Last edited by Trey (2010-05-24 07:06:15)

http://www.downinfront.net/images/300.jpg

300 at the Down in Front store

300 on IMDB

300 on Box Office Mojo

Trailer

The Battle of Thermopylae

*See also Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield

Romcom = Romantic Comedy

Edited by William Hoy

Save the cat, et al

Eskrima

A practical guide to the superman punch

Speed ramping

The Oswalt Family Crest, off of My Weakness  is Strong

Footprint in the Snow

The real Xerxes

The 305

Greek Hell

Sky Cake, also from My Weakness  is Strong

Zach Snyder began in commercials

False resolution

Ebert on Kick Ass

Trey wrote:

I would like to point out that, despite what the front page currently says, I was not present for the 300 commentary.

I do not know what you're talking about. *whistles*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Loved this movie from my first view.  I was quick to see it as a story told by the Spartans rather than anything having to do with history.  The action sequences are beautiful and breathtaking, and I actually quite enjoy the over-the-top dialog.  It all makes for a movie that is non-stop fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mayhew Lemaître wrote:

Hehe, sounds like Trey's not a big 300 fan.

No, but I won't go so far as saying "it sucks" because I can't make that case.  I only know I tried to watch it twice on DVD and lost interest halfway thru both times.   

Might give it another try someday, tho it's not very high on my to-do list.

Im with trey on this one. My basic reaction when I first saw it was pretty negative. Overtime I have softened my stance but I think i may have just caved to peer pressure.  The characters are pretty shallow and none of the characters make a decision that they wouldnt have made at the begining of the film. Its not terrible.

Absolutely great podcast. I really enjoyed it.
"They are magic, thats great. How do i punch them in the dick?" really made me laugh.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Snyder's commercials @ Believe Media Film Production
watchmen • trailer
300 • trailer
miller lite • break from the crowd
subaru • two wheels
budweiser • replay
nissan • take me driving in your car
ups • strange new markets
bmw • lingerie
audi • tracks