Topic: Teague should listen to me more often

Gregory, on page 2 of the now-locked Upcoming thread wrote:

Is it just me, or is this thread turning dangerously into 'Off Topic' territory? Moderator, what's the guidelines for posting here? Do you mind if we use this as a general purpose Social Thread?

Six pages of Social Threading later, the thread is locked for being OT. Discuss.

Or, you know, breakfast food.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Teague should listen to me more often

Shouldn't he actually listen to himself, since his answer to that was:

"Socialize that shit."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd rather have it be unlocked, personally. To have six pages of OT arbitrarily locked at this point seems useless, but apparently Dorkman felt strongly about it.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really don't understand what the big deal is...

It was the perfect place to just chat and discuss before the commentary comes out.

Blargh on you Dorkman.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Well, here's what happened. I mistakenly half-thought the conversation was taking place in the suggest a movie thread, and because the conversation was so divisive and really going on, I thought I'd break my "no movie threads until the episode comes out" rule and move the conversation there, and have as much of our discussion of 300 be in that thread.

Turns out, the conversation was actually happening in the "upcoming episode" thread, and was pretty much where it should have been. (Although I still like that thread more for socializing and less for big conversations about upcoming movies, for the above reason - the conversation all being in one place is easier on the mind.)

Dorkman tapped my brain and reminded me it was the right thread for that conversation (leaving only my "wah, I want the conversation in one thread" feeling) but by that point the other thread was goin', so I left it. He continued to rail on his point, this brings us to the present.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

Well, here's what happened. I mistakenly half-thought the conversation was taking place in the suggest a movie thread, and because the conversation was so divisive and really going on, I thought I'd break my "no movie threads until the episode comes out" rule and move the conversation there, and have as much of our discussion of 300 be in that thread.

Turns out, the conversation was actually happening in the "upcoming episode" thread, and was pretty much where it should have been. (Although I still like that thread more for socializing and less for big conversations about upcoming movies, for the above reason - the conversation all being in one place is easier on the mind.)

Dorkman tapped my brain and reminded me it was the right thread for that conversation (leaving only my "wah, I want the conversation in one thread" feeling) but by that point the other thread was goin', so I left it. He continued to rail on his point, this brings us to the present.

BREAKING: DORKMAN UNVEILS NEW PLAN TO CLEAN UP UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

http://www.treehugger.com/containment-dome-468.jpg

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2010-05-19 04:31:27)

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Greg's got jokes.

So here's my take on it.

I have, before, in my life, done Webby-type shit. I had a blog for a while, there were comments, people came and left comments, it was a pain in the ass. Now I'm a moderator on another message board elsewhere, people come and leave comments, it's a pain in the ass.

What I'm getting at here is that running an Internet Thing™ is a pain in the ass.

Teague et al. give us a place to play and be silly and make nice-nice. If they want to declare that this thread is only for the discussion of custard and that thread is only for the discussion of fish fingers and that mixing the fish fingers and the custard is absolutely forbidden, my natural and instinctive reaction is to say "fuck you, you're not the boss of fish custard," and then the "oh right, pain in the ass, doing it for free" thing kicks in and I'm all "yes sir, whatever you say sir, please don't ask for a modest monthly subscription fee sir because I have all of those I really want already sir."

I'm a kiss-up to teacher, is what I'm really saying here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And I'm the jerk who sits in the back of the class, has already read the textbook, and sarcastically throws barbs at the teacher because he can, because he's getting too good of grades to be yelled at.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And I'm the sexy blonde with no interest in learning anything, spending an extra fifteen minutes after class each day with the teacher's meaty-

Y'know what, this metaphor has run its course.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

No, what happened was, you decided you needed to stop a conversation for no good reason and move it someplace else.

You then gave your reason -- that you didn't want conversation taking place in that thread at all. So far, fair enough, although why you allowed six weeks of conversation to take place, if that's the case, is beyond me. But then instead of locking the thread to prevent conversation you claim you didn't want, you decided to start another, actually off-topic conversation, and that when we have an entire off-topic forum for the purpose.

To put on your bold red mod voice to tell everyone to get back on topic, even though it was on topic, and then immediately be the one to yank the thread way more off-topic than it ever was, instead of just letting conversation flow, strikes me as totally capricious, and capricious, pointless redirection and/or stifling of conversation is not the way you build a social community.

maul2 wrote:

I really don't understand what the big deal is...

It was the perfect place to just chat and discuss before the commentary comes out.

Blargh on you Dorkman.

Uh, Try reading the last bit of the thread again. I agree with you. Teague is the one who decided that wasn't the "place to just chat and discuss." He can reopen it if he wants, but he said he didn't want any conversation taking place there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You just said what happened, and it matches exactly what I said happened. I made a mistake, I admitted it, you kept going on about it, I locked the thread because you kept insisting I should. My "reason" was a mistake, I never said it was why I locked it, I even said in that thread it was my made-up justification; it's just a feeling I've had, not something I had vocalized.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

You just said what happened, and it matches exactly what I said happened. I made a mistake, I admitted it, you kept going on about it, I locked the thread because you kept insisting I should.

I insisted you should because you said you didn't want conversation to take place about upcoming movies in that thread. You tried to dodge around your mistake and be cute by starting a "breakfast foods" conversation, instead of just letting the thread be what it would be.

Either a) it's the thread to discuss the upcoming release when it's announced but before it's released, or b) it's just meant to be an announcement and discussion takes place elsewhere.

If it's b), then it should have been locked six weeks ago. If it's a), then fine, let's re-open it and allow the conversation to be about the upcoming films instead of just trying to alter it on a whim.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm completely missing how you don't understand the idle mistake aspect of this, I didn't snipe the thread out of thin air with a long scope, my mind was on other things and somehow my brain connected the wrong dots and thought it was taking place in the other thread. That's all.

I made the other thread at that moment...the next moment the new thread already had posts, and you made me aware of my mistake. At that point I tried to carry on with the upcoming-thread off topic shenanigans as they had been (breakfast, in this case, because the previous conversation about 300 had already been moved), and you kept interrupting the off topic with posts of my deliberate intent to ruin something-I'm-not-sure-what.

So I'll unlocked the other thread, and we'll continue to talk about breakfast foods until something else comes up. Which was the intention of giving the breakfast food topic in the first place.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You said you wanted things on-topic, torpedoed the topic, and then tried to create an off-topic. The problem is a complete lack of coherency in how exactly you expect the posters to behave.

Why talk about breakfast foods in a thread that is not on that topic, when the whole reason this happened was because you got confused and wanted to keep the thread on its stated topic? Why not just let the thread alone until the next release announcement and the conversation is ready to move to that?

All I'm saying: if you're going to want to get modly and keep threads more or less on-topic -- which I agree with -- the remedy when you make a mistake is not to flail over to the other extreme and drag it completely off-topic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think anyone is confused here, save for me, when I confusedly moved what I thought was off-topic back-and-forth into a new thread. It was actually on topic. Laughtrack, Teague made a goof. That's all that happened.

Since the beginning of the next week thread, with the quote that Gregory posted up top here, it's been a "meh, talk about whatever you want" thread. Had I not moved the 300 conversation, we'd still be talking about 300 in there. Because I did, we needed something new to talk about, I went with breakfast because I love breakfast.

I think you're perceiving a lot more drama and intention here than there actually was.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So...uh, how about that new Star Trek movie, fellas?

Best Enterprise ever.

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNewsreel/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/abramsenterprise.jpg

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You have now permanently put me on Dorkman's side. For everything, about everything.

Aw, man. I was hoping they'd keep yelling at each other louder and louder until finally they'd pause, out of breath, and then kiss.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You mean me and Brian or me and Mike?

I'm down for either, big boys.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

THREEWAY. NOW. POST PICS.

(Hey, your forum cleverly rejects any posts that are entirely in capital letters. I will temper my enthusiasm with a parenthetical, then.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That is the most genius filter ever.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let me know when you implement "cat-like typing detected."

Thumbs up Thumbs down