Topic: Kiwi Slang Pop Quiz

As a native born New Zealander with Maori heritage (1/128th, but it still counts) I would like to know how much of the slang carries over the pacific. So, all you Americans, please give me what you think each of the following slang terms mean:

1.Skuxx
2.Shot
3.Chur
4.Skody
5.Fob

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Kiwi Slang Pop Quiz

I want to play along, but I literally have no guesses at all as to what any of them means.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I got nothing. Like literally. Absolutely no idea.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

You can at least guess. Then your failures might be funny.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

given what I know about New Zealand, I'll say:

1) Sheep
2) Lamb
3) Rolling green hill
4) Peter Jackson
5) Sheep again

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Only one I have any idea about is fob. I think it's something negative that you call someone...but I could be completely off-base. That's all I've got.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not wanting to wade in on the AU vs NZ thing, I'll just say that fob is a bit racist, innit?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Only if you think that travel by boat is inferior.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's hardly used to describe someone getting off a yacht at Hamilton island.

I've only heard it used to refer to people of Chinese or Vietnamese background.

Last edited by Dave (2012-06-02 00:22:43)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Answers are:

1.Skuxx - Womaniser, Promiscuous Male
2.Shot - Thank you
3.Chur - Yes
4.Skody - Unappealing
5.Fob - F.O.B, 'Fresh Of the Boat', a pacific islander who has recently moved to New Zealand

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

I've only heard it used to refer to people of Chinese or Vietnamese background.

Maybe that's to do with the smaller islander population in Australia

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HenryChM wrote:

Maybe that's to do with the smaller islander population in Australia

Aye, but the usage is the same.  We're more up tight about this stuff in the north, north island  tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can pretty definitively confirm that none of those terms has made it to the US. But, on the other hand, Antipodeans might be surprised to hear that "no worries" has taken hold.

Also, some people are now starting to drive on the left side of the road.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

It feels like I've been using "no worries" for a while now.  No idea how that happened.

I do know some Aussie slang, well one anyway: Seppo.  As a Yank I found it amusing.

Edit: (Because I had to look it up) Zarban's Word of the Day: Antipodes

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2012-06-02 03:43:12)

I only knew fob from watching Summer Heights High.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To make it more authentic, the correct phrasing is "no fuckin' worries mate".

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've heard fob here in the U.S. It's definitely a slur, as it refers exclusively to people of Asian descent with heavy accents. Never heard it refer to any other group of immigrant-by-boat.

"No worries" was originally a down under thing?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

"No worries" was originally a down under thing?

It's practically the motto of Australia. "Good on you" occasionally appears in the US, as well.

Meanwhile, UK "chat up" is making inroads, as well as "wank", thanks to the Internets.

I second this thread. As a non english person, learning slang is probably what I love to do the most.

Last edited by Saniss (2012-06-02 16:30:28)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Weird how words that are commonplace in one country are seen as swearing in others.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fob is a pretty common word up here. Maybe it has to do with the fact that this place is basically a melting pot, but Fob really isn't seen as much of a slur. The general definition is the same (basically someone who is new to the country and hasn't really adapted to the culture), but its never used as an insult really.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HenryChM wrote:

Weird how words that are commonplace in one country are seen as swearing in others.

Yeah, wank, shag, bollocks, bum, bloody, fanny, todger... wouldn't cause an American granny to bat an eye.

I think Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me had to be changed for UK advertising, right?

Yeah, for TV Ads shown during the day, they cut it off before the word 'shagged' was said but they played up to it. They let you know the word they cut was rude (by having a character react) which made people want to see it. The title is edited in TV listings when it is shown here. Usually changed to- 'Austin Powers 2' or 'Austin Powers: The Spy Who ******* Me'. The former is often used to save space too, though, I reckon.

'Shag' or 'shagging' has been sneaked into US media for ages as has 'wank' or 'wanking'. The Aerosmith song 'Love in the Elevator has 'shagging' in it. The character Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer used the word often. He also used the word 'wanker' on occasion too. Chandler in Friends calls a character a 'wank' in one episode. 'Wanker' has also been used in episodes of The Simpsons. All of these are cut from UK TV showings before the watershed (9pm) but the Aerosmith song is played on the radio uncut.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:
HenryChM wrote:

Yeah, wank, shag, bollocks, bum, bloody, fanny, todger... wouldn't cause an American granny to bat an eye.

I think Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me had to be changed for UK advertising, right?

I wouldn't call bum, bloody or todger swearing, more just your basic slang.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is true although, I don't think you would hear 'todger' on the BBC during the day big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down