Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

I really want Westerns to come back and be a big genre again. At least so John Carpenter can make his damn Western already while he's still alive.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was actually really excited to go see Snow White and the Huntsmen today, then everyone bailed  sad . Is it as dark as it seems to be?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Inspired by the Web Series thread, I'm finally starting to get around to watching Carpenter's early stuff. I just finished Escape From New York.

It was alright, although I highly doubt, despite what everyone in the web series thread seems to think, that you could make a movie like that today and get away with it. But whatevs it was fun, although it doesn't really end, it just...kinda....stops. But then well, 80's be crazy.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I love the ending.

The ending to Escape From New York is perfect in my opinion.

******SPOILERS IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT********
I love the whole 'fuck you'-ness of it. I love that Snake shows compassion for those that died by screwing over the president just because he showed none. Plus, it 'just stops' because the mission just stops. That adds to the mystery of Snake, too, we meet him as the mission starts and we leave him as it ends, no hanging about. It's great.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I really want Westerns to come back and be a big genre again. At least so John Carpenter can make his damn Western already while he's still alive.

And oh please let it be some sort of undead western. Zombies are overcooked at this point, but something else would be awesome.

I watched The Borrowers with my 9-y-o niece and nephew this weekend. Good fun but nothing special; it's full of British actors who appeared in Harry Potter later. We recognized Slughorn and Arthur Weasley of course (as well as Peter from Jumanji, House from House and Sully from Monsters, Inc.), but it wasn't until the credits rolled that we realized that the littlest borrower was Draco Malfoy!

Last edited by Zarban (2012-06-04 16:33:47)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I wouldn't call Escape from New York early Carpenter, as that was when he had money. You have to go back to Dark Star,  Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, etc. for what starting web filmmakers should be striving for.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

I wouldn't call Escape from New York early Carpenter, as that was when he had money. You have to go back to Dark Star,  Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, etc. for what starting web filmmakers should be striving for.

I was talking on a more basic story and character level as far as what you'd be able to get away with. What I posted above was much more of a gut reaction sort of feeling immediately after I watched the movie, but taking a bit of time to think about it, I don't think you'd have to alter as much as I originally thought.

I think the major issue with it is that a modern audience expects a certain depth to a character and a story that I don't think EFNY inherently displays. From the very outset it's a very 1D story, as are the characters for the most part. There's very little going on that isn't just right there on the surface, and what little is there actually doesn't make any difference. For example Snake's whole "I heard you were dead thing." It never actually becomes a thing, it's just a running gag that doesn't really add anything to his character (Because we never find out why anyone thinks he's dead, or why he isn't actually dead. And it never plays a role in the movie, except as a joke.)

Now don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but I think it benefits from being made when it was, so it gets a pass on a lot that stuff. But I think if you tried to make it today, everyone would just look at you and go wtf is this shit?!

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get looking at it compared to the complaints that people throw at a lot of modern action/genre movies.

And both Precinct 13 and Halloween are next up on the list.

Although I tried watching Dark Star a couple months ago and I couldn't even make it past the 5 minute mark. I'll probably force myself to sit down and watch it, but that doesn't exactly bold well with the whole "We need more of these" idea.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

If you had some mates and a DSLR, some lights, makeup and some time, you could make The Horseman. I know I've posted the trailer a few times already, but the movie is really good. It's super low budget AND good. I think the biggest "stunt" thing in the movie is they burn down a house (all you see is smoke pouring out the door... you just kinda assume it's on fire). The rest of it is a dude in a van, dudes yelling at each other in various Asylum-style generic offices and dudes being tortured / beaten in what is most likely the actor's own homes / garages. Total cast of maybe a dozen people + some extras in a couple scenes (who could probably be the same dozen actors with jackets and hats on...)

That's the sort of movie these web guys should be trying to make. You don't need special effects to have an intense action / drama.

Also, there are a lot of movies from the 60's and 70's that have maybe a couple scenes that your modern low-budget crew couldn't handle like car chases or whatever, but you could probably make most of the films out of that era today for next to nothing. Bring that shit back. Real acting. Smaller films about people in buildings with problems that are compelling and real and not people getting shot and elaborate fight scenes. How many elaborate fight scenes have you seen in the last week in real life? How many shoot-outs and car chases? How many giant robots?

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-06-05 03:45:13)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

How many elaborate fight scenes have you seen in the last week in real life? How many shoot-outs and car chases? How many giant robots?

I'll play the douchebag here and say that this is probably the reason why people make those types of movies, because they don't see that every day. If I wanted to watch a movie about what I see everyday, I would just go live my life.

/end douchebag mode

Otherwise I pretty much agree, and I'll have to check out The Horseman. Although you seem pretty focused on the action genre as the pinnacle for what indie guys should be making. What about like, horror or sci-fi? (I'm pretty sure a good indie team could make a pretty solid The Thing)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-06-05 04:26:39)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I've come to a theory regarding the Wachowskis, speed racer and that frickin kid.

The Wachowski's just hate to have any sort of actual real emotion in their movies. And since this one was actually shaping up to have a few moments of real human emotion, they used that kid anytime either of them got a little uncomfortable, thereby eliminating the tension of any real emotional scene.

Otherwise, the movie was actually a lot better than I remembered. Definitely underrated.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Speed Racer is indeed entirely underrated. I could have done with less kid and less monkey, but it still has a special place...on my movie shelf.

I also like that the Speed Racer Blu-Ray disc starts playing the movie right away without any menus or ads. As it should be! It annoys me to no end to have to sit through advertising on something I paid for. It's so ugly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phi wrote:

Speed Racer is indeed entirely underrated.

I tried watching Speed Racer with my 9-y-o nephew. We found it confusing and gave up about 30 minutes in when the sponsor guy is putting pressure on Speed.

Last edited by Zarban (2012-06-07 19:55:33)

I just saw Piranha 3DD and wish I hadn't. I found it an unfunny unimaginative mess. And I quite enjoyed the first one, too, I thought it had wit and charm. This one had none of that, they just tried to offend people without having much point to it.

Oh, and earlier today I saw Safe House which was quite boring and dull. I'm not having a very good movie watching day.....

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-06-07 20:36:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Piranha 3DD fails on every level... the worst film I have seen this year, so far.

Girl: "I love the water!"
Guy: "It's, uh, really wet"

^ actual dialogue from the film...

Yeah, it's pretty bad. And really fucking mean-spirited. That last scene over the credits, the one in black and white because they wouldn't get it past the censors if it was in colour, is horrible. Left a bad taste in my mouth if I'm being honest.

And yeah, probably the worst I've seen so far this year too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

While we're on the topic of bad films: I saw The Raven last night and it was even worse than I expected.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I started watching the Asylum's version of Snow White last night and stopped half way through because it was so god damn boring. I know they're mostly aware of how schlock their films are, but someone needs to tell their directors to stop making dull shit. The last several I've seen have been hard to watch, with the Three Musketeers being the only exception. I've not seen Lincoln Vs Zombies yet, tho, and Brad Jones apparently loved it a lot, so I'll have to check that one out.

When I first heard they were making a movie called "The Raven" about Poe, I was hoping for a biopic, cause the dude lived a really tragic life that would make for a very compelling story. After I saw the trailer I lost interest, but the visuals looked pretty good. Haven't seen it yet, tho. My parents liked it.

My parents, however, have horrible taste in film. If it shows up on netflix instant I might watch it just to see how bad it actually is.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Allison wrote:

While we're on the topic of bad films: I saw The Raven last night and it was even worse than I expected.

Oh, that's too bad. I had high hopes for that.

/crosses "write Nathanial Hawthorne-based thriller" off to-do list

Isn't the whole POINT of the piranha movies to be as horrible and stupid as possible? I'm not even kidding, no one in their right minds could have seen a trailer for any of them and thought, "Yep, they are trying to make a good movie here." Actually the trailer for 3DD looked really really elf aware of they were doing and actually made jokes about it. "You seriously replaced all the lifeguards with strippers?" and etc

I've never actually seen any of them, but I'm aware enough of them to have gathered that much at least.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I don't hate both films. The first film is witty, charming and even sexy. The second film mistakes gore, potty humour and naked tits for all those things the first film has. I mean, this film has a lot of tits in it and yet it still fails to be sexy. How the fuck does it manage that? The only saving grace (sort of) is David Hasselhoff playing himself but even that gets boring fast. The outtakes in the end credits are funnier than the written content of the film.....

Oh, and why defend films you haven't even seen?  :@

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not defending them, I'm just wondering why anyone thought it would be good in the first place, thereby having expectations to disappoint.

Which you did explain...sorta, so thank you tongue

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-06-08 03:03:52)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

So I just watched Assault on Precinct 13 (Carpenters) and...I... ugh, I enjoyed it and I can see where you guys are coming from as far as the indie action stuff. But...looking at it as a movie...I can't tell if I'm just not the right person to enjoy the way these things (namely 70's actiony movies) end themselves, or if there is actually something wrong with them.

Basically...

Show
...alright, so AOP13 spends the first half an hour (more than a third of movie) setting up all these questions about the situation and characters, and then FINALLY starts the actual plot when the gang kills the girl. So then the whole assault thing actually takes over the movie, and then when that's wrapped up the movie just ends. It's like it just forgot about all this stuff it was doing for 30 minutes and just decided to stop telling the story. I was just sitting there at the end going...okay...so they're safe great...but...so...okay...wait a minute...the point of all that was...what exactly?!? And didn't the gang kinda swear a whole "we will stop at nothing to make sure all of you are dead" thing?....so that's still on if there's 5 cops, but whoah hold up there's 6 cops out there we gotta call this shit off.

I mean I get the argument of getting out early, but when I leave the movie going "Why the hell did you waste a half an hour of my life telling me all this shit when you just wanted to lock them in a room and have people shoot at them? And hold up...why did they even stop shooting??" something can't be right.

Like I said...maybe I'm just not keyed right for these, but I just don't get it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Squiggly_P wrote:

I started watching the Asylum's version of Snow White last night and stopped half way through because it was so god damn boring. I know they're mostly aware of how schlock their films are, but someone needs to tell their directors to stop making dull shit.

As Trey can tell you, their directors aren't generally in charge of what kind of shit they make.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

I'm not defending them, I'm just wondering why anyone thought it would be good in the first place, thereby having expectations to disappoint.

Which you did explain...sorta, so thank you tongue

I thought the second one would be fun as I found the first one to be pretty good fun.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down