Re: Kiwi Slang Pop Quiz

also Britain seems to be the only place where you can offend people with the two finer salute.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I think the 2 finger salute is offensive in most parts of the commonwealth. Certainly is here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:
Zarban wrote:
HenryChM wrote:

Weird how words that are commonplace in one country are seen as swearing in others.

Yeah, wank, shag, bollocks, bum, bloody, fanny, todger... wouldn't cause an American granny to bat an eye.

I think Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me had to be changed for UK advertising, right?

I wouldn't call bum, bloody or todger swearing, more just your basic slang.

Right, I was surprised to hear bloody in Harry Potter 1 (to a teacher, no less), but didn't it used to be considered quite vulgar? In My Fair Lady, the line is "Come on Dover! Move your bloomin' arse!" as if bloody is worse than arse.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Changing bloody to "blooming" or "ruddy" is called a "minced oath", by the way, (bloody itself is minced from "God's blood") and British English is deeply ingrained with them. Cor blimey is a minced oath for "God blind me". The old zounds is minced from "God's wounds". And "berk" is rhyming slang via "Berkley hunt" for "cunt".

Of course, American English has gosh-darned and gol-durned for "Goddamned" and criminy for "Christ" and jeepers for "Jesus" and the immortal jiminy cricket for "Jesus Christ".

I don't know any Australian- or New Zealand-specific minced oaths. Crikey for "Christ" probably originated in England.

Last edited by Zarban (2012-06-04 16:36:24)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Tyler was full of useful information.

http://i.imm.io/rzPL.jpeg

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Round 2

6: Gap it
7: Hard
8: Bots
9: steaze

And finally, 10: Nek Minnit

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...again, I know nothing.  sad

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

gap it- shut yo face woman
hard- my grade 12 chem35AP diploma exam
bots- mindless drones of the peasant class
steaze- a semi transparent fluid not typically discussed in polite conversation or mixed company
nek minnit- I believe this one is listed on page 213 of the karma sutra

*I take no responsibility for anything I said here. It was all typed while under severe sleep depravation and ensuing loopiness

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I know no Kiwi lingo, but I do a fairly solid Ka Mate haka.  When I lived in Hawaii I had a friend who performed at Polynesian Cultural Center and would teach us other haka, but Ka Mate is all I remember.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

I know no Kiwi lingo, but I do a fairly solid Ka Mate haka.  When I lived in Hawaii I had a friend who performed at Polynesian Cultural Center and would teach us other haka, but Ka Mate is all I remember.

I demand video.

Also,
Nek Minnit: Niv Mizzet's cousin?

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

I demand video.

Ugh.  Get me drunk first and we'll see.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down