Re: Prometheus

What was spoilery in my post? But I agree

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I just saw half of Prometheus - the theater was evacuated an hour into the movie because there was a bomb threat at the FedEx next door.    Fun.

Got a come-back-anytime ticket that I might use tonight... but I have to say that although the movie is pretty as hell, I'm not exactly dying to find out what happens next.   Nor am I eager to sit through the first half again  - as I said, nice visuals, but every time a character tried to talk all sciencey things got painful.   

In fact, at the point the movie stopped, several sets of characters were doing supposedly sciencey things that made no damn sense at all - gee, I wonder if they're gonna trigger something bad happening?   Wait, don't tell me...

3pointedit wrote:

What was spoilery in my post? But I agree

I was referring to you wanting to discuss it without spoiling, not saying it was spoilery!  smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now that I'm reading these reactions, I'm thinking I don't have to run out and see it before I leave for DC. Do any of you think I shouldn't wait a week and should catch it now?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw it today. I was pretty into it for the first forty minutes or so, but it started to lose me as it went along. It's been about five hours since I got out of the theater, and the more I think about the film the more depressing and bland and nonsensical I find it. I'd really like to talk to some of the reviewers who touted its intellectual and philosophical depth. Also thanks to the marketing team for spoiling the climax.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just saw Prometheus. And... that was interesting. Certainly better than The Thing prequel...

I'll be seeing it in about an hour. Be prepared for the resulting wall-o-text.

... inside a spoiler tag, I guess...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK, I just got back.

Fuck Damon Lindelof.

http://www.wired.com/images/article/magazine/1510/ff_scott_580_f.jpg
Who the fuck is this guy and what has he done with Ridley Scott?

This movie is terrible. Every five minutes I wanted to scream "WHO THE FUCK WRITES THAT AND WHY DID YOU FUCKING FILM IT!? WHAT THE FUCK!?" This is one of the most poorly written things I've ever - EVER - fucking seen, but I have to wonder how Scott could have possibly thought that this was even a serviceable script.

Though I guess it's not quite as bad as Alien: Resurrection.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

It's Sunshine V2, it really is. I thought it was AWESOME for about 45 minutes. Then it  goes off the rails and consistently stops making sense. Props for having an original R-rated sci-fi movie, and there's definitely some fucked up, memorable stuff, but the writing just spirals downward into terribleness. Also, such un-inspired creature design. And the scientists do so much dumb shit that makes 0 sense. And that ending.....ugh.

Fuck Lindelof.

Last edited by bullet3 (2012-06-09 08:10:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My review:

http://trudang.com/images/screaming.png

End of review.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Given Dorkman and Squiggly's disappointment with Promethius, there's a pretty good chance I'll enjoy it. Because I'm stupid hmm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

It's Sunshine V2, it really is.

As a big fan of Sunshine, I sort of take issue with this. Yes, Sunshine has that third act shift that so many hate, though I myself personally do not. But Sunshine also has consistently good acting. Prometheus does not (except from Fassbender and Rapace). Sunshine has dialogue that human beings would actually say. Prometheus does not. Sunshine tells a self-contained story with a beginning, middle, and end, leaving no loose ends floating around. Prometheus does not. And Sunshine was Danny Boyle's first foray into science fiction and was just a movie that came out. Prometheus was Ridley Scott's return to the genre after two classics thirty years ago, and was being touted as the master's homecoming.

Potential spoilers, maybe. The thing that really gets me about this movie... Scott kept going on about how it wasn't really an Alien prequel, and was merely telling a new story in the same universe. And yes, it wasn't a typical prequel, in that it barely explained a damn thing about Alien. But nevertheless they used the Alien universe as a total crutch. Give Guy Pearce's character a different name, don't give the planet the LV prefix, sub in some original spaceship on the planet, with corridors that don't reference Giger, and don't put your big translucent humans in Space Jockey armor. And now I have no idea why you're telling me this story.

The Alien trappings were so nonessential to the story the movie was telling, and yet if you remove them you've just taken away the very thing that made me stick with the movie for the full run-time. It's a cheat, it's like they had this lousy script in the vault that they knew nobody would ever want to watch, and then they said, "Hey, what if the ship is one of those horseshoe things from Alien?"
"That's brilliant, let's see if Ridley Scott is available. Isn't he doing the Monopoly movie? He must be crazy hard up for cash right now."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I so don't want to see that movie anymore. I guess I will, eventually, but if I am to go to the theatre, let it be another movie.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sigh, I hate this summer. Just depressing.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

ProMEHtheus.

No, you guys were right. Fucking hell.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was supposed to root for the robot, right? The only character I had any empathy for.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like this applies.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/maul2/Untitled-1-1.jpg

ZangrethorDigital.ca

http://data.whicdn.com/images/28558001/humans-ancient-aliens-guy_large.jpg

Did the film critics all get together and agree to punk everyone by pretending this movie is a near masterpiece of sci-fi brilliance, or are 74% of the people getting paid to write film reviews just out of their god damn minds?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The reactions here are hilarious. I can't wait to see it  big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, this is the most flagrant case of director bias I've ever seen from the critical community. If anyone else's name was on the director credit, the movie would be 10-20% lower on Rotten Tomatoes.

And jesus, 4 stars ebert, really man?!

I still would say the film isn't bad, like I said, I have no big issues with it until everyone decides to take their helmets off, and it's actually building to something amazing until that point. Ultimately it's just a disappointing middle-of-the-road failure of a movie, with some cool parts. Like if this was a movie you knew nothing about and caught on cable, I think it's totally watchable, I would put it in the same camp as something like Leviathan (actually these two movies are amazingly similar, down to the premise, out-of-place score, and stupid ending). But a good successful movie it is fucking not.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I enjoyed it...if for superficial reasons.  Great score, 3D that for some reason didn't bother me.  Couple of half-baked original ideas.  And I wasn't rolling my eyes consistently, which is more than I can say for for most films I have seen in the last year.  Did I walk out of it feeling like it just wasted my time?  Yeah.  But such is life at the cinema nowadays...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What? The score was terrible. It didn't fit the movie at all.

Last edited by Xtroid (2012-06-09 18:05:28)

Ya agreed, I get what they were going for: "this movie is like 2001 man, it's about the WONDER of discovery", but it was a bad call, a real bad call. I would like to see someone fan edit this thing and re-score it with alien/alien3 music.

Thumbs up Thumbs down