Re: Prometheus

Shame Jerry Goldsmith's son, Joel, is dead. I'm sure he could have pulled off a good suitable score.

Last edited by Xtroid (2012-06-09 19:28:38)

Yesterday's bomb threat kept the theatre closed until evening... so I'm going out now to finally see the rest of Prometheus.

After reading the reactions of folks here who already saw the whole thing, hoo boy - I'm even less eager to see it.   Now I feel like I'm going to complete some court-ordered community service.

Trey wrote:

Yesterday's bomb threat kept the theatre closed until evening... so I'm going out now to finally see the rest of Prometheus.

Apropos of nothing, that website looks suspiciously similar to my local news site...

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm glad someone else commented on the score.  Uhg.  Granted, Horner borrowed heavily from previous works (oh, Hi Wrath of Kahn, what are you doing in my Alien movie?), but this score can't hold a candle to what Goldsmith, Horner and Goldenthal up out.

The main theme sounds like something cut from Apollo 13, or something you'd see in one of those museum of science IMAX presentations:

Seriously, that runs over the main titles, with helicopter shots of Iceland running by, and it takes you out of the movie before it's even begun!

Then you have the "homage" to Goldsmith's score:

Just...no. Don't.

Honestly, as much as I want to love this film, I just can't.

Wow, I guess agree to disagree then.  I really liked that score a lot, particularly the life track posted above.  Haven't really bothered with the alien franchise, save for aliens several years ago, so don't know how it holds up against any of those.

As bullet said, they were going for wonder and mystery.  Seems to fit to me.  Noomi rapace on a noble cause on another planet to search for the meaning of life.  The film may have not pulled it off, but I don't think it's fair to blame the score for the film's other shortcomings.  It fits for what they were "trying" to do.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Elliot Goldenthal's score would fit Prometheus.

I haven't seen it, but I have a question for those of you who have.

To what extent did the visuals redeem the movie?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a pretty looking flick, but that doesn't make me wanna see it again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you can see it in a nice Imax 3d screening, it's for my money the best 3d movie I've ever seen (including Avatar). The depth is amazing, without being distracting, and there's loads of cool stuff, like holograms, and a dust storm sequence where dust debris is flying in front of the screen and characters. As a Space Nerd, it was definitely worth it to me to see it once, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anyone else noticed the reference to ALIENS?

"DAVID, WE ARE LEAVING!"

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

After reading this, I finally understand what the hell I was watching last night, and yet... I still don't care about it.

Show
If I wanted to see a movie filled with christian and pagan allegories about excepting one's death, I'd just watch "The Fountain" again. I'm completely fine with vague or broad mythological references that relate to theme of the story but don't tell me that whole 'Alien' universe revolves around self sacrifice and space Jesus. Ugh.

I feel someone should email Lindelof the 22 Pixar rules of film writing.

#2: You gotta keep in mind what's interesting to you as an audience, not what's fun to do as a writer. They can be v. different.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's...an interesting read on it.  I'll have to keep that in mind next time I see it.

Thanks for sharing.

Someone on twitter suggested Peter O'Toole for the part of old Weyland.

That would have been fun to see...

Why WAS old Weyland played by Guy Pearce in make-up? Surely it wasn't just so they could do that TED Talk thing as part of the viral marketing...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That is an interesting read, but they've sacrificed their story on the alter of empty metaphor. Even if all of that is true - and it seems likely - why are you telling me that? Why are you making all of these connections between prometheus, jesus, the engineers and shaw? Just putting them there doesn't mean anything in itself. Why did you try to cram that into the alien mythos when you could have made it a completely different movie and probably had it make more sense?

EDIT:

I'm guessing they used Pearce as Weyland so they could later have a younger Weyland in one of the next movies? Or maybe his son? Or maybe a robot that looks like him or something?

Dunno...

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-06-09 23:42:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This movie started off with one of my least favorite tropes and went off the rails from there.

Oh and Jesus was a spaceman! (Interview with Ridley Scott and many spoilers)

Two years ago I went to a film festival that showed Alien and Blade Runner with a Q&A with Ridley Scott, wherein he tried to describe what he was trying to do with Prometheus. In the process, he went off on this cockamamy description of Relativity and time dilation that made no goddamn sense. It was at that point that I feared for this movie. Somehow it's managed to make even less sense than whatever he was on about at that festival.

And if his revisiting of Alien is this much of a nonsensical self-indulgent metaphoric circle jerk, then truly all hope is lost for the new Blade Runner.

^ I was at that festival too.

And another, in which Ridley Scott basically just says, "Yup, we're making another."

I don't recall the relativity crap Brian mentioned, but here is a breakdown of what Ridley Scott talked about on the day, which does mention it.

DAMN YOU BRIAN AND YOUR YOUNGER BRAIN!

Speaking of relativity, I did the math: based on how far Prometheus has traveled, and how long the crew was asleep, the ship must have been traveling at roughly 13.7 times the speed of light.  On what looks like fairly conventional "ion drives" too.  Sure...

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2012-06-10 06:06:28)

Prometheus should have ended like this...

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-prometheus/

"If you get upset by a film like this, you shouldn't watch films."

Hmm...

Last edited by Xtroid (2012-06-11 15:32:15)

According to Ridley, Apparently 20-30 minutes was cut out and will make it's way onto the blu-ray release, including a fight scene with Shaw and the engineer at the end (I thought the current confrontation was way too abrupt, so yay). Might at least help fix some of the disjointedness.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The thing I found fun was the fact that some seriously crazy stuff can be going on, maybe even next door, and no one else on the ship gives a rat's ass about it.

@marcusvowell  -  facebook.com/marcusvowell

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I honesty have no idea who those guys are, but they're dicks. And wrong.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is probably the first time I've disagreed with Stocklasa's opinion of a film, being that he didn't mind the fact that the story was incomprehensible due to the neat scenes and stuff. Kinda hypocritical, but I get it if people wanna like the movie for that, cause some of the scenes are pretty cool.

I just can't let it go.

The most important thing for me in a movie are the characters. In this movie there's not one character that feels realistic at all. They all feel pretty good at the beginning of the movie, like they're working on putting some character into them, you know? But by the end of the movie, every single one of the characters has gone off the rails, and some of them are apparently supposed to be totally different characters than what I thought they were going to be.

The dude with the mohawk...  I thought at the beginning of the movie that he was some hired muscle or something. He's kinda brooding and dark, he tells that one dude to eat shit and die, basically, he's 'in it for the money'... the only smart thing he does is question the 'evidence' in the briefing, but all of them do that because that's the logical thing to do. Then you find out that he's a geologist, and NOT ONCE does he say or do anything even remotely having to do with geology. He's not interested in the brand new planet they've found, he's not interested in the structure they're in, he's not interested in fucking anything. Ever. He doesn't even pick up a rock to take a look. He may as well have said "I'm the pope" because his character shares about as much with a pope as it does with a geologist. Same with the biologist. Same with the two nameless co-pilots.

Even David and Elizabeth - the two characters everyone's raving about - are complete ciphers. In some movies that would be awesome, but in this movie nothing at all works. Even the scary bits are let down a lot by the fact that I don't give two shits about any of the characters. The only bit that works is the ... THAT scene... and it only works because of the shit that has happened to that character in the prior few scenes. After ...  THAT scene... she goes back to being totally idiotic again.

Like I said, the writing in this is some of the worst I've seen. It's super-cool that they managed to weave such a neat jesus / greek myth parallel into the movie and gave a potential source for those myths to have sprung from, but that's supposed to be extra-added bonus content to the main course, which should have been some story about characters in a situation. There's a ton of different things you could do with the basic setup of "humans find cave paintings pointing them to some distant star system, so they go there". You could have made it any number of movies, but you teased me a hard sci-fi horror / thriller, and you gave me a greek myth as painted by Pablo Picasso.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

They did the Star Wars prequels reviews.

Last edited by Xtroid (2012-06-11 23:24:27)

Xtroid wrote:
Dave wrote:

They did the Star Wars prequels reviews.

To be fair, unless you've already heard of their particular reviews that doesn't help smile
(is there anyone who HASN'T done Star Wars prequel reviews?)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down