Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

Zarban wrote:
Allison wrote:

While we're on the topic of bad films: I saw The Raven last night and it was even worse than I expected.

Oh, that's too bad. I had high hopes for that.

/crosses "write Nathanial Hawthorne-based thriller" off to-do list

That's probably for the best, a someone beat you to it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarle … 2004_film)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just watched The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension for the first time since I saw it on video in 1985, and it was just as awesome as I remember it.

The opening neurosurgery/jet car run/musical gig is fantastic. Peter Weller is cool as hell. John Lithgow is pure, demented awesome. The dialog is sharp. Jeff Goldblum is only at about .5 Goldblums. And Ellen Barkin is hotter here than anything else I've seen her in.

It lags in the middle, but hits all the right notes. I can't wait for the promised Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League!

And remember: no matter where you go... there you are.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Ya, I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago on Netflix Instant. Very crazy/awesome schlock movie with an outstanding cast. See, this is the kind of movie that just can't get made in today's studio system anymore, the mid-budget crazy/weird/experimental genre movie.

It's a shame the original cinematographer got fired on that movie after the first few days. He shot the night-club sequence, which is by far the most atmospheric and cool looking section of the movie, whereas the rest has a really flat look to it. And ya, Ellen Barkin is operating at 80s Lea Thompson levels of hotness in that movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Man, how come random movie-killing scratches on DVDs always happen right at the end of the fucking movie?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So you didn't get your happy ending?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, it was the movie "Contagion", so I dunno how happy the ending would have been...

I ended up watching the 1997 classic "Volcano" starring Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche instead. She needs to be in bigger movies, cause I like her.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dante's Peak is better........

What?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Among the similar title/same release year movies:

Dante's Peak > Volcano
Deep Impact > Armageddon
Antz > Bug's Life

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Among the similar title/same release year movies:

Dante's Peak > Volcano
Deep Impact > Armageddon
Antz > Bug's Life

mission to mars = red planet

both were both the same pile of meh.

Dangerous Liaisons > Valmont
Leviathan > Deep Star Six

And weren't there two penguin movies at the same time?

You're forgetting Abyss came out that same year (talk about a leap in quality across the 3):

Abyss > Leviathan > Deep Star Six

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I prefer Red Planet on account of the cute robot dog. The dog is my favorite part of the movie.

Rover. That's hilarious. See, cause we call them 'rovers' cause they...  rove...  but "Rover" is like a cliche name for a dog, see... so... "Rover"...

And Val Kilmer.

Just watched Dante's Peak. Having never seen it before, I can confirm that it is indeed better than Volcano, in much the same sense that Transformers 3 was better than Transformers 2.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I prefer Mission to Mars for the EVA scene, which is still really awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like both Red Planet and Mission to Mars, probably equally. It's fascinating how both films have a good first half and then fall over themselves in the second. Mars has the better plot, but Red Planet just feels more exciting I guess (plus it has Val Kilmer).

My favourite EVA scene of all has to be from 2010 where John Lithgow has to spacewalk from the Alexei Leonov to Discovery One. The character's palpable fear and the heavy breathing on the soundtrack makes the scene really chilling. I guess the one in SpaceCamp is quite nice too. smile

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

2010 is underrated

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

It's a fun adaptation of the book. Is it a sequel to the movie 2001? Not really. It is, however, a sequel to the BOOK 2001.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If Kubrik was known for anything, it was for taking liberties with adaptations tongue

Well, that and tripping balls.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-06-12 00:41:42)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

If Kubrik was known for anything, it was for taking liberties with adaptations tongue

Well, that and tripping balls.

And making people age 10 years by watching 2001.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saw two more movies tonight:

1) They Saved Hitler's Brain: The cinema snob made me do it. The movie looked pretty funny, and it is. He spoiled most of the funny parts, but the scene where the dude slaps the girl is so god damn funny. That chick literally does nothing but scream and make hilarious surprised / horrified facial expressions throughout the entire film, save for the beginning where she acts like a prostitute. There's a lot of funny in there.

2) The Werewolf Of Washington - Starring Dean Stockwell circa 1974. Starts out really slow and boring for the first 15 or 20 minutes. I was about to turn it off, but some old lady with a shopping cart found the first victim behind a car and did this amazing, ten second "I'm about to scream!" face, and then screamed three times. Then it got a little boring for a couple more minutes until a guy picked up a phone, said "uh-huh?" hung up and told the guy he was with that the first victim - who was the wife of the secretary of state or something - was dead...  and "had her guts ripped out". And then the movie basically became a comedy. Literally. And it's really not half bad, aside from the fact that half the jokes are Nixon references and the other half are slapstick that goes on for WAY too long, then keep going in a very un-funny way, and then KEEP GOING until they manage to become funny purely because they've gone on for so long.

I mean...  I got this thing in one of those collections of crap horror movies of 50 movies for ten bucks, but this isn't a horror film. It's completely comedy by the end... not very good comedy, but comedy. There are four or five bits, tho, that are fucking hysterical, and I would actually recommend watching it. It's on Youtube all over the place, given that it's probably public domain.

Both are definitely good movies to get some buddies, get some alcohol and laugh you ass off.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

The Werewolf Of Washington -  I got this thing in one of those collections of crap horror movies of 50 movies for ten bucks, but this isn't a horror film. It's completely comedy by the end... not very good comedy, but comedy.

What? Looks legit to me.

http://www.zarban.com/wp-content/cache/imdb/images/0070908_big.jpg

That does make it perfectly clear. What an honest poster.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Last night, I watched Haywire and Chronicle. One was slightly 'meh', the other was better.

I thought the last half hour of Chronicle was great. Although, who was supposed to have edited all of this together in order to make the film? Did someone steal all the cameras including the one that got lost underground?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

+1 on Haywire "meh", but I do want to see Gina Carano kicking all the ass in more movies. Preferably ones that make sense.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

I thought the last half hour of Chronicle was great. Although, who was supposed to have edited all of this together in order to make the film? Did someone steal all the cameras including the one that got lost underground?

I don't think it was a Cloverfield thing, where we are watching footage that has been edited after the fact. I saw it as the cameras being the conduit for the audience. We are watching everything as it happens, and cameras are our way into the world. It's all real-time.

Then again, we don't know how the cave-in happened, so maybe the sequel will have a different answer.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Jimmy B wrote:

I don't think it was a Cloverfield thing, where we are watching footage that has been edited after the fact. I saw it as the cameras being the conduit for the audience. We are watching everything as it happens, and cameras are our way into the world. It's all real-time.

Then again, we don't know how the cave-in happened, so maybe the sequel will have a different answer.

That just makes it all the more pointless and technically not 'found footage' as it was advertised. It could/should just have been a movie, the way they used the cameras was redundant.

Phi wrote:

+1 on Haywire "meh", but I do want to see Gina Carano kicking all the ass in more movies. Preferably ones that make sense.

She was great kicking ass but she needs a few acting lessons. Or at the very least someone to teach her better line-reading. I assume Soderbergh was too scared to direct her properly on her acting big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down