Topic: Why Fairy Tales don't have Mothers

I had a thought today while I was back at work (after a week off), and thought I'd bounce it off of everyone.

There's an aspect to the movie Brave that I have yet to see any comments on. That is, the fact that there is a Mom. A living Mom. A living Mom who, in fact, is the biological mother of our female main character.

Think about that for a moment.

You never see that. The mother is always dead. She's dead, and the story is the daughter beating heads with her father, who being male NATURALLY doesn't understand her, and over the course of the story she finds her way and he accepts her for who she is.

You can't have that if there's a Mom. For one thing, the mother represents success. Especially if you're talking about a princess/queen dynamic. In Brave, the mom is strong. She's smart. She is POWERFUL. We see, in the story, that it is SHE who is the power behind the throne. Such a woman has no problem with a strong, willful daughter. She knows such traits will be needed. The only conflict will be one of control. Of at what point a girl becomes a woman, when mother's orders become just advice.

The end of such a story, of mother and daughter, will be one of compromise.

This is NOT what people want from a fairy tale.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Why Fairy Tales don't have Mothers

You want her mom to die just so your movie will be more entertaining?

YOU MONSTER!

A lot of old stories were about a character who lost one or both parents or some siblings. Back when the stories were new, odds were good that one of your parents would die before you were grown. Today it's not so common. I'm surprised there's not more divorce or neglect in modern stories for kids. There should be. I think a lot of the early 80's movies for kids helped me to realize that it was normal for families to always be arguing about stupid shit. How many kids out there act crazy and throw over the top fits because their reality doesn't match the bullshit idealized families they see on TV and in movies? There's clearly more to it than that, but I bet it's not helping much.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, broken families are naturally just more interesting, so everything from Greek mythology to folk tales to comic book superheroes to sitcoms are full of orphans and children of single parents and women impregnated by gods.

That last one is admittedly less common today, but I think it's true of at least one character on Glee.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

They're also less interesting. The quickest shot to the heart of any child is DEAD PARENT. It's all they know. So boom, engaged audience.

From a storytelling perspective, removing a parent makes drawing relationships easier. With one parent and a kid, that's a simple circuit. You can take that and build all kinds of thematic goodness from there. With two parents and a kid, you have to figure the relationship between the kid and one parent, the kid and the other, and the parents between each other. You now have three times the amount of relationships to uphold without sacrificing or muddying the thematic energy you had when your story was simpler.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

...and women impregnated by gods. That last one is admittedly less common today...

This needs to be rectified immediately.

/starts furiously writing/

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Isn't that the plot line of the Percy Jackson stories? Isn't it Poseidon that fathers the protagonist?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Frodo Baggins & Luke Skywalker... no mothers.

I would point out DUNE as a big exception, where Paul & his Mother are the two main characters and are together for much of the book. But he lost he father early on.

Yes, I wonder why it would change the dynamic having two nice healthy elderly parents pottering in the garden at the start of the adventure and they're still there at the end of the adventure.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

More drama = better than.

Thumbs up Thumbs down