Topic: "Prometheus" review by Teague [Spoilers Marked]

Spoilers in black, highlight to read.

--------------------------------

You know something, hype ain't no passing trend, and stigma doesn't seem to be going anywhere either.

The kind of hype reserved for the, well, promise of a once-in-a-generation movie seems to be happening more and more these days. The kind of stigma reserved for incredibly high expectations, dashed upon the rocky shores of everyone's opinion, that's no longer something special. Moreover, the two in combination is the norm. We're very used to it. Maybe too used to it. It happens every time, right?

Walking into Prometheus after months of amazing trailers and online buzz, and weeks of everyone shitting so hard on this movie - and it should be said, spoiling myself with complete abandon - I wasn't expecting much. I had already relegated the movie to my "pop in the Blu-Ray because it's pretty" shelf.

I watch the opening credits bracingly, allowing myself to just appreciate the visuals of the helicopter shots and the score... and I find myself enjoying them on their own merits, without giving them any benefit of the doubt at all. And once the goofy statue man starts annihilating himself on the bluffs, I scoff momentarily, only to be completely roped into the dazzling sequence of his DNA stripping apart and recombining. Music swells.

Title reveal.

And somehow, despite knowing the spoilers, despite all the shit-talking, and despite having relegated myself to a courtesy buy when the Blu-Ray comes out - a little germ of excitement catches in my chest.

As the movie opens up, I'm with it the whole time. The bad science doesn't bother me too much, not because I don't care, but because if I hated movies because of their bad science I'd never get to watch sci-fi again, and then where would I go to see my fancy planets? The on-the-nose dialogue doesn't bother me, because for some reason - acting, probably - it doesn't feel lobotomized, it feels curt. Tense. It feels like people with a lot on their minds. And somehow, the combination of these flaws - and one seriously annoying archaeologist - with the retro aesthetics and horror movie pacing just put me in the mood for a good old fashioned sci-fi thriller.

And what luck; Prometheus delivers.

It hits all of what I love in a movie. It's got incredibly photography of impossible locations, it's got more than its share of wonder and absolute horror, the tension ratchets up like crazy, and its existential implications are scrumptious... and, above all else, it just keeps working for me. It never shakes me off. Every left turn the movie takes fills me with glee, and every trope it plays into doesn't result in disappointment. The score continues to impress me and the visuals refuse to do anything but piss me off with their absolute fucking hugeness and my lack of a pause button.

It thrilled me, it engaged me, and it never offended me. The more interesting question is, how is that possible?

How is it possible that a movie that has been so universally shat upon, or at least found to be a disappointing mess, could rope me in so deftly? Hype and stigma, folks. You throw a world's worth of expectations on a thing, you're gonna have a bad time. But if you unload a world's worth of hate on a thing, viciously in some cases... the resulting emotion walking into a theater isn't quite sympathy, nor is it contrariness, it's something more like skepticism. "Alright, movie," you feel, "they all say you suck. I'm gonna give you a shake. What have you got?"

Hype is certainly bad, but I'm starting to warm up on stigma.

It doesn't happen every time. For me, it's only happened a couple times. But Prometheus just became my favorite example of what happens when something is so stigmatized you can't help but drop your expectations to absolute zero. Because, in the case of Prometheus, what happens is the movie ends up with a big fan - and I end up with one more movie in my life that I get to love.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: "Prometheus" review by Teague [Spoilers Marked]

Sure, if you're going to watch it in the same mindset as you'd watch THE ROOM, I can see how you could have a good time.

"YOU ARE TEARING ME APART LISA!" = "I FUCKING LOVE ROCKS!"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In a strange way, The Room is one of my favourite films....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You pretty much summed up how I felt about it

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Now my expectations are just a little bit higher than before. I really need to watch it.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yay!  Someone else is out there in the world that loved it as much as I did.  Fuck you, everybody else!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Opinion of movie = Reality - Expectation

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just need a few weighting scalars on there:

Opinion of movie = (Blood Alcohol Content * Reality) - (Fanboy Level * Expectation)

Normalize that and you're good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's an interesting paradox. Every movie will be wonderful if you go into expecting it to be a steaming pile of shit. Then happiest are those with the lowest expectations? But that can't be right. Going around thinking everything will be worse than The Phantom Menace can't be the key to bliss. Can it?

Dark Knight Rises? It's gonna make Transformers 2 look like The Godfather. After all it's directed by that stupid hack Nolan, right? And stars all those no-name D-listers who can't act.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think it works like that. If a movie is totally shit, no amount of lowered expectations are going to save it. It's more that movies you have no expectations for or have heard nothing about, that are actually pretty decent or watchable, end up being really pleasant surprises, pushing your personal opinion higher than it otherwise would be.

That was my experience watching Pandorum, where I was like "woa, this is actually a pretty interestingly thought out sci-fi story, and the production design is awesome". Objectively, it's still not a very good movie because of the stupid monsters and terrible camera-work, but if you were channel surfing and stumbled onto it without hearing anything beforehand (like I did), you end up being really impressed.

Prometheus would absolutely fit that category I think, especially because of the gorgeous visuals.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had a similar experience watching Prometheus as I had with Mission Impossible 4. It's a thoroughly enjoyable movie (most of the time, I'd argue Prometheus completely falls over itself in the second half) as you're there in the darkened cinema. You're entranced by the lights and sounds. But the moment you exit and start to apply thought to what you've seen, warts and all start to show and you realised that you've been had.

So rather like a great Chinese takeout that later gives you a bout of food poisoning.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

So rather like a great Chinese takeout that later gives you a bout of food poisoning.

Prometheus = Space Special

I give you one clap.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down