Re: Show off your movie collection

paulou wrote:

I tried pretty hard, but that bourgeois charm was a little too discreet for me.

Haha I know, it's actually intentionally boring in order to show how boring and uninteresting their lives are. I guess it's genius in that way, doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I keep meaning to sit down and have dinner with Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, but I keep getting interrupted.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

My updated blu collection. Still no District 9-

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh555/shiftybench/blus.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh555/shiftybench/blus2.jpg

In the first pic, in between Expendables and From Dusk Till Dawn is my Cabin in the Woods steelbook. You can't really see it as it's too shiny.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://uppix.net/1/d/7/b3a9eec8f6dd5881dc9ca50be5d22.jpg

...there.

Someday I will have one big ass collection of blurays just like you guys, but being a student kinda limits things for me right now. I feel dirty, but I promised myself I'd try to buy a bluray once in a while. Thing is, I also did the same thing about music albums, so the choice is always hard.

PS : I do own all the BSG blurays, though.

http://uppix.net/4/8/1/96b938cbb30d77ce43b9daa8fdcd3tt.jpg

Last edited by Saniss (2012-10-19 15:38:43)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's weird. When I was a kid, I watched a show that was also called Battlestar Galactica. It was about a ragtag force of rebels fleeing heartless killer robots in space.

Clearly, this show is about a big-titted chick who likes red dresses and emulating Jesus from classical paintings.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Well, she is an important part of the plot, but I'll agree the boxes don't really show what/who BSG really is about.

Last edited by Saniss (2012-10-19 16:57:35)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, no... I think they do.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whatever. I love this show. YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

No, no... I think they do.

Yep. Tricia Helfer, Tits and something about Bob Dylan in space...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Season Three of BSG is an 18?  hmm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I guess all the Torture and Iraq War parallels did the trick

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've never seen it. Season one of Angel is an 18 in the UK too because of a scene of torture and one season of House was an 18 because of a scene of suicide. I just find it strange when US tv shows not made by HBO are rated 18 big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some of The Shield dvds, Dexter and Spartacus are 18 too, for various obvious reasons! It used to be that only HBO really had content that was mature enough to warrant an 18 in the UK but other channels like Showtime and Starz have come along in recent years. There really does seem to be a market in the US for TV programmes that are mature.

But then, it's also easy to forget that in the US censors have a no tolerance attitude when it comes to nudity but are comparatively light on violence. The opposite holds true in the UK. So primetime network shows would occasionally come over to the UK and be given an 18 just because the violence was considered too much for our stiff upper lip. Although in the last decade or so the censors seem to be letting more stuff through, which is probably why most of the seasons of 24 are rated 15 despite featuring plenty of torture and violence.

On another note, I love the fact that you have so many of the classic 80s action movies.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Some of The Shield dvds, Dexter and Spartacus are 18 too, for various obvious reasons! It used to be that only HBO really had content that was mature enough to warrant an 18 in the UK but other channels like Showtime and Starz have come along in recent years. There really does seem to be a market in the US for TV programmes that are mature.

Absolutely, I just used 'HBO' as a catch-all for cable as I couldn't be arsed typing all the other channel names. The Walking Dead is an 18 too here but that is on basic cable in the US. It is very bloody, though, so I understand why.

But then, it's also easy to forget that in the US censors have a no tolerance attitude when it comes to nudity but are comparatively light on violence. The opposite holds true in the UK. So primetime network shows would occasionally come over to the UK and be given an 18 just because the violence was considered too much for our stiff upper lip. Although in the last decade or so the censors seem to be letting more stuff through, which is probably why most of the seasons of 24 are rated 15 despite featuring plenty of torture and violence.

Yeah, it's actually all about tone too. The likes of 24 get away with a lot because of the over-the-top-ness of it all. Also, Jack is torturing people for his country, despite what he is doing, he is doing it on the side of good. The scenes I mentioned in Angel earlier was a mentally unstable young woman torturing another human being with a piece of broken glass while he was tied to a chair. Despite the fact that Angel has so much magic and fantasy in its episodes, the episode that has human on human torture is the only episode that is deemed far too violent. And the episode of House that was rated 18 was due to a graphic scene of suicide which the BBFC baulk at. They don't like anything that shows a suicide attampt where anyone can copy it which is why they edited the scene in the movie Rules Of Attraction. All the medical gore is perfectly fine, though.

On another note, I love the fact that you have so many of the classic 80s action movies.

Thanks, man. I plan on getting more too, there has been a Seagal boxset released with his early Warner Brothers films and although I already have Above The Law, I'd buy it for the uncut versions of both Under Siege films. I love the fact that we get the US discs but with the BBFC ratings stuck on them. That way, we get films that were once cut but in their unedited form but with the exact same rating they had before. Christmas Vacation is still a PG but has the F-bomb back in that was once cut big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just added a new shelf to my collection. Took some TV shows off my rotating shelf and moved them there. Now I have more room.  big_smile

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool