Topic: RedLetterMedia says Amazing Spiderman is forgettable & nothing special

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-b … pider-man/

Re: RedLetterMedia says Amazing Spiderman is forgettable & nothing special

Just saw The Amazing Spider-Man.

And it wasn't amazing.

More like, The Below-Average Spider-Man.

I liked it but I was bored for most of it due to the origin story. What saves that first hour though is the cast. Andrew Garfield is great (although he is a bit tall and.....28 years old) as are Emma Stone and President Bartlet. Also, while I liked the fact that this Spider-man quipped a fair few times, the action scenes were somewhat lacking. I don't want to get into spoilers but the last scene annoyed me a tad. It made a previous event in the film a bit pointless.......

Also, who asks a boy round for dinner with your family on the first date? big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Xtroid wrote:

And it wasn't amazing.

What other data points are you using to generate the average? It's WELL above average if we're factoring it with the Raimi films.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

Also, who asks a boy round for dinner with your family on the first date? big_smile

The first girl I ever went on a date with. Yeah, that didn't last long.

JimmyB wrote:

I liked it but I was bored for most of it due to the origin story.

I've been hearing this complaint a lot. I haven't actually seen it yet, but I'm trying to figure out if that's just a factor of having Raimi's Spiderman tell his origin so soon ago or if the movie's just doing it wrong. Because as DiF has pointed out several times, becoming is more interesting than being (Which I do agree with for the most part).

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Did Andrew Garfield remind anyone else of Norman Bates in this movie?

http://storiesbehindthescreen.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/psycho-1960-alfred-hitchcock-anthony-perkins-pic-4.jpg

BigDamnArtist wrote:
Jimmy B wrote:

The first girl I ever went on a date with. Yeah, that didn't last long.

JimmyB wrote:

I've been hearing this complaint a lot. I haven't actually seen it yet, but I'm trying to figure out if that's just a factor of having Raimi's Spiderman tell his origin so soon ago or if the movie's just doing it wrong. Because as DiF has pointed out several times, becoming is more interesting than being (Which I do agree with for the most part).

Becoming isn't always the origin story, though. He can still have an arc, can become a hero, can have self-discovery, without becoming Spider-Man new every time.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

For me, it's because I know the origin story. I have watched all the Spider-Man cartoons and have read it in the comics (when I was an adult).

I fully understand the whole 'but a lot of kids weren't around ten years ago' argument but for us adults who have the first film fresh in our memories, it just makes it boring for the most part. I like the fact that they do change it up a bit (we see Peter's parents at the start) but I wanted to see a new Spidey adventure. I guess I'll have to wait for the next film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
Xtroid wrote:

And it wasn't amazing.

What other data points are you using to generate the average? It's WELL above average if we're factoring it with the Raimi films.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0kWsfyccay4/T3dctHfwEHI/AAAAAAAAaTc/8SlYrQ2roQc/s1600/Spider-Man_323Pyxurz.jpg

All this movie made me want to do was go back and watch Spider-Man 1 & 2 again.

The Amazing Spider-Man is a dull and uninspired superhero movie. The script doesn't bring anything new to the table, and Marc Webb is a boring director.

Ya the general consensus seems to be that Spiderman 1 and 2 are better than this reboot. I haven't seen it so I can't comment, but just from that Red-Letter-Media review I can see why that would be the case. I know you guys are out on the fringe as haters of Raimi's goofy take on spiderman, but at least Spidey 1 and 2 are consistent tonally. The movies exist in a kinda goofy/campy universe and that's just how they roll.

If the Amazing Spiderman starts out trying to be Batman Begins and then morphs into the 2nd half of Spiderman 1, I can see how that could be really problematic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah, that reminds me, remember when this was being pitched as a "gritty, realistic reboot"? Whatever happened to that film?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just saw the Red Letter Media discussion... A few thoughts....

1. I'm hesitant about predicting the imminent collapse of the Hollywood studio system when the box-office of these movies is consistently breaking $1Billion. Quite the opposite i.e. more of the same. There's enough cashed up teens in emerging markets in the developing world that haven't grown up with the same movies we have - so it's all new to them. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's going to end. Slavery lasted for centuries - in other words, something can be morally wrong but still be financially successful.

2. The opera/classical/Shakespeare world has lasted for 200 years with a business model of recycling the same works over again. If superheroes movies are the default template, then whoever are the hot, young 'popstars du jour' can be inserted into the roles. There's always a next generation of stars&starlets coming through. There'll be some updated effects as rendering times/costs come down. There's still plenty of old material that hasn't been given the 48fps, IMAX, 3D treatment - so at least there's a thin veneer of 'freshness' for the next decade. Also, MPAA standards change over time, so what was 'R' rated in the 1980s is PG13 now, so that's something the studio can market as new.... i.e. 'it's darker'.
Same template but new actors, more effects at higher-res, and a few more F-bombs, with each incarnation. Doesn't matter if the scripts are identical. It's been obvious for a long time that movies are NOT punished for having poor scripts.

3. Hard core geeks that whine about the the current vacuous tentpole movies should stop seeing them.

4. The studios might claim in response to Red Letter Media... we DID give you a NEW tentpole movie this year JOHN CARTER, and you bastards didn't see it. We lost bigtime on it. But when we served up Avengers, everyone saw it twice. Fine... now you're getting another five Avengers.

[I personally think this ever-decreasing reboot time trend sucks as well, but I'm just trying to see it from the studio perspective. I too saw Prometheus, so I'm guilty of supporting lazy tentpole schlock]

Last edited by avatar (2012-07-10 16:48:31)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is where the idea of "constantly increasing revenues" kills the business. The suits are beholden to their shareholders to make more money every year than the year before, to where movies that make 100 million domestic aren't viewed as blockbusters anymore (when they used to be just 15-20 years ago). No, now you have to make 1 billion worldwide to be considered a big success, so instead of having several moderately successful medium budget flicks, lets throw 200 million at 3 tentpoles and call it a day.

I still don't understand how in the fuck these movies are spending this money either, because it sure as hell isn't on screen. It's like film-makers aren't even TRYING anymore to be resourceful. How the hell do you go into Green Lantern and decide "Naww, we'll do his mask in post, it won't be a problem". That's such a self-evidently terrible idea, like, lets spend 100 million dollars making a rubber-looking mask in Post. Same thing with something like Captain America, where instead of using a body-double with face-replacement, they decided to just film it with Evans and shrink him in post. It ended up looking great, but you can't tell me it wouldn't have been 3 times cheaper and looked just as good if they just did face-replacement.

At least with something like Dark Knight Rises, I see 500 extras fighting on wall-street, and I see Nolan hanging a plane fuselage from a helicopter as he has stunt guys parachuting onto it, but he seems to really be the last holdout still clinging to the old-school big-budget film-making arts.

If there's any hope on the horizon, it's that film-technology/craft/funding has finally trickled down enough in foreign countries that they're now starting to make the kind of movies that hollywood used to. I wouldn't be surprised if some really great more-restrained genre movies come out of Europe/Asia in the next 20 years.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

The ones that make assloads of money are the ones that get shoved in people's faces the most. Avengers was EVERYWHERE. Transformers was EVERYWHERE. Harry Potter, LOTR, Twilight... EVERYWHERE. John Carter? I saw a 3D poster for it at the movie theater one time and that was fucking all.

That doesn't account for legs though, sure Twilight and Harry Potter have never been great in that department, but LOTR, even for the time of year, did exceptionally well. And so did The Avengers and The Hunger Games, they had staying power because people liked them. Prometheus, for example, did not have that, it opened big and collapsed from there. Fox could only be disappointed by it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Globalization - if you're making films for one culture, you can play with the rules, give a wink, rely on audience knowledge, etc. But if you now have to be mindful of BRICK (Brazil, Russia, India, China, Korea), it's gotta be as bland, generic and dumb and light-on-dialogue as possible, so it plays in all markets with as little modification as possible.
Everyone can understand chasing and 'plosions, no matter what language they speak or if they've been educated in some foreign college. So serve up 2 hours of chasing and 'plosions, with an A-lister and a pretty side-kick and the suits say that's guaranteed $300M profit.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And the sad thing is they're right. I really don't see this changing anytime soon. If anything, there's constantly more and more theaters worldwide, which just makes the audience bigger and bigger. Why WOULDN'T you continue doing what you're doing if it's working. If I was in their shoes I would objectively have to make the same call.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Unfortunately, I hear a lot of people talk about going to movies in NY and LA and it sounds like people are constantly texting and shit in the theater. I would most likely be arrested every time I went to a movie.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

I like their discussion at the end, tho, where they talk about the imminent collapse of the hollywood machine. Part of me really really wants that to happen, but another part of me knows that it probably never will.

http://hollywoodandswine.com/report-say … or-kitsch/

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down