Topic: What Are You Doing, Movie? :: Glossary

Hey folks, something we've been working on is now available on the blog, and will later be added to and edited, as well as potentially made easily accessible from the home page if it becomes a thing.

That is the WAYDM glossary.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what's there, and any terms you'd like us to add to the pile.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: What Are You Doing, Movie? :: Glossary

love the magic beans tongue

anyways one that you say alot of in the transformers bit was "hocus pocus" or something like that. And if anything that should be on the list.

And is it me or is alcohol therefor most of the movies? cause if so why the hell am i not there for that!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hee hee...it's there often, maybe half and half. The ones doing most of the drinking are myself and Dorkman, although Ryan will occasionally have a drink, and once or twice Trey has as well.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

well i think i shall crack open the rum from now on when ever i listen in to kinda feel apart of the action then

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Maybe we should market Down in Front booze. We have that technology at Cahuenga Labs. Hm.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

well i would prolly buy some to just pitch the idea of if you drink it you see the world thru down in front's eyes

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

Maybe we should market Down in Front booze. We have that technology at Cahuenga Labs. Hm.

I'll get right on that.

downinfront wrote:

Although I'm not quite sure what cynicism tastes like...or how you would bottle it hmm It's a prospect worth looking into though.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

About to addend the glossary with whatever new ones we've been talking about since the original posting, remind me of what should go in there.

I have "go the the mansion," help a brother out.

EDIT: Oh, and a Yoda's Saber moment, where something is apparently added just to make people cheer at midnight and loses value after opening night exponentially.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There was another one talked about during The Core. Did you save the chat log? I remember typing it in while you were talking about it so it was in the log, but it escapes me now.

Last edited by Zarban (2010-05-24 19:12:09)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

We did save it.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well the ones I remember, was from the core...Going Tucci.

And also having a Wonderland movie, as opposed to a one piece of magic.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

There was something that was mentioned near the beginning of the Truman Show... I can't for the life of me remember it now.

I looked it up and even the almighty Google didn't know.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gay cup?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I looked for this thread for a long time before noticing it was a sticky. I'm retarded.

Anyway, Dorkman went through and added/clarified a bunch of entries in the glossary.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What is the history and/or meaning of the "day of six" thing in reference to a surprise reveal. You guys have made that reference a lot recently and I can't find it in your glossary. You usually say it so fast that I can't clearly make out what you are saying...
Day of six makena?
Day of sex macana?

Help me out here smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

pastormacman wrote:

What is the history and/or meaning of the "day of six" thing in reference to a surprise reveal. You guys have made that reference a lot recently and I can't find it in your glossary. You usually say it so fast that I can't clearly make out what you are saying...
Day of six makena?
Day of sex macana?

Help me out here smile

I think you're hearing deus ex machina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Inside baseball was entirely inside baseball to me until I realized it was a metaphor and not a reference to some movie I'd never heard of.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, the DiF glossary is just for stuff WE made up, either some expression we coined in a commentary and then kept using (magic bean, Goldblums), or an expression that is SO *ahem* inside baseball that the average listener probably hasn't ever heard it before (footprint in the snow).

Phrases like deus ex machina or inside baseball, we didn't invent 'em, we're just usin' em.

But I don't think we've invented any DiF-centric phrases in quite a while.   At least I can't think of any... anyone else?

Yeah, deus ex machine predates us by a couple thousand years, so I don't think we can take much credit on that one.

"Coffee and bagels" doesn't have an entry yet, I'll write one up.

I feel like I want "It was so cold that night..." to be a thing, too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Add the Phantom Edit rules, too.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't know what is those.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just, "you can only remove or re-arrange." Basically. But we refer to Phantom Editing as a potential fix often, and folks might not know what that shit is.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, okay, I gotcha.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're forgetting "Teague-interesting", although I'm pretty sure that only showed up in one or two commentaries.

Thumbs up Thumbs down