Topic: finally making the jump to video editing

as i've mentioned here before, i'm an audio guy, but i've been itching to move into video for quite a while.

I just ditched my 8 year old laptop (insane that i've been able to actually run audio on it) and picked up a new PC.  I want to dive into a new program and wanted to see what folks here suggest.

I haven't followed the conversations too closely, so i'm not sure where to start, what programs to avoid, what websites to pay attention to, etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: finally making the jump to video editing

Avid Media Composer or Adobe Premiere are your best options at this point. For a decade the answer would have been Final Cut, but that's not something you wanna start learning now, it's already out the window.

I use Premiere because of its seamless integration with Photoshop, After Effects, and Audition. *shrug* Avid systems are the standard for most pro editing suites these days.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

cool, i was hoping Premiere would be an answer.  I use the Adobe Suite daily at work, so i'm already fairly familiar with the interface. 

stoked to finally be able to put video to some of my music....plus, anything that might get me out of "proposal monkey" role at work can't be a bad thing.

Thanks

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd recommend learning Premiere, but set up with Avid-ish keyboard commands. It'll make you a little more software ambidextrous if/when you need to operate on that kind of box.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've had a play with Avid and got lost pretty quick. I mainly use Final Cut Pro (7 not X), but before I switched to OS X, Premiere was my choice. It has a nice, straight forward interface and the integration with other CS products is fantastic. I did find replacing clips with After Effects compositions to be a little finicky, but I probably wasn't doing it right.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague, I'm thinking of building a video-editing PC as well. My big hangup with Premiere (at least the versions I've had), is that I can never preview the video without rendering it first (like it'll be either completely a blur to where its useless, or premiere will just give you a black box until you render it). What I always liked about Final-Cut is I could preview what I had whenever I wanted without waiting for a render, even HD content (though it was off course somewhat degraded, but still watchable). Has this changed at all with newer versions of Premiere?

Also, any opinions on Sony Vegas? I've seen that thrown around a lot as a Premiere alternative, but I don't know if its worth it (especially given Premiere's easy integration with After Effects).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can't say I've ever used Vegas, but I've heard quite a lot of good things.

You say you quite like FCP, have you ever thought of building a Hackintosh? I've had mine built for a fair few months now and it hasn't given me any problems whatsoever.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think that changed like five years ago. You can do all kinds of crazy shit in real time now, especially if you do your research first and get a machine with an appropriate graphics card. CS5 introduced this GPU processing thing that lets you do crazy stuff like playback a dozen HD clips with effects in real time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmmm, will have to investigate that then, I'm most familiar with using Premiere so it would be nice to stick with it (also I just really dislike Apple and their proprietary format bullshit, and lack of proper blu-ray support, and complete nerfing of Final Cut.....ya I basically dislike Apple).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i finally got premiere pro 5.5 and i'm slowly trying to learn it.

i have, what might possibly be, a stupid question.   

It seems that Premiere takes nearly all video formats, but when i try and import clips from my iphone, it's saying there's no audio/video elements to the file.  however, the file works fine on my computer.

any suggestions on what might be going on there?

thanks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Premiere doesn't wanna mess with that shit, to put it shortly.

You'll need to rip them into something more real.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/siri2416/Anja/watto.jpg

What I do is Google for "free [xxx] converter," where [xxx] is whatever random ass file extension you're working with. Premiere will like AVIs more than MOVs or MPGs, but all of those technically work.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

there are quite a few .m2v to .mov converters out there.  Even if you're using a pc based system, I would still recommend keeping everything in some kind of QT file.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MPEGStreamclip covers a lot of formats and is a good general purpose transcoder, but depending on your specific codec, you may need something specific.

I also recommend MPEGStreamclip.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Adobe Media Encoder (may not come with Premiere Automatically, idk, perhaps only when you buy one of the suites.) It can usually handle formats that Premiere itself won't want to use, and convert them as desired.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:

I think that changed like five years ago. You can do all kinds of crazy shit in real time now, especially if you do your research first and get a machine with an appropriate graphics card. CS5 introduced this GPU processing thing that lets you do crazy stuff like playback a dozen HD clips with effects in real time.

Partially true. To enable the Mercury Playback Engine in hardware mode, you need either a compatible video card(mostly Quadro cards, although a complete list can be found online), or you need to unlock your Nvidia card(done software-wise, and not harmful in any possible way) to utilize its CUDA cores in Premiere.

Link to HOW to do this, and an elaborate reason as to what video card you should get found.... right here:
http://www.studio1productions.com/Artic … ereCS5.htm

That being said, the article also goes on about how you *could* get equal results in software mode with, for instance, an i7 CPU. I've a i7 2600K running at 4GHz, and my GeForce GTX 550 Ti still performs better after unlocked, so, you'll have to play around with it. Or just win a lottery and get a quadro card.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2012-03-09 09:34:47)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Righto! Just the kind of research I was referring to, high five.

Last edited by paulou (2012-03-09 09:35:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

alright, i'm back with more questions.

I've gotten the hang of the basic functionality of Premiere, however, I haven't quite figured out what the best output format is.

the first couple attempts came out really crappy, then got worse when i uploaded them to youtube (not surprising).   

I don't care about insane HD right now, I just want it to appear as clean as possible for youtube/vimeo/whatnot.

anyone have suggestions on the appropriate presets/formats?

thanks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Premiere isn't the greatest thing in the world at exporting. FCP is amazing at it, as is Vegas... as a Premiere guy, I feel your pain.

Honestly, what I tend to do is finish my edit and then import the Premiere project into After Effects to render.

Exporting at a highish quality and then opening it in Quicktime Pro (thirty bucks, if you don't have a license or a way of getting one) gives you all the export options in the world for compressing and keeping your quality.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bummer... i was afraid of that.  After Effects will have to be down the road, i want to get deeper into Premiere first.

that being said, which export option/preset does give me the highest quality?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Play with the Adobe Media Encoder. It's full of presets.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Something a lot of people get confused about with exporting and codecs (and I'm no expert, I've just done a lot of playing around in my time) is that they think it's linear, you know that you have this straight line of low, medium and high quality exports. But what it really is is much more of a bargaining game.

Does it need to be really really high quality or do you need it to be small? And everything you're doing in the codecs is just pushing and pulling on those 2 variables until you find something you can live with.

So yeah, best advice, spend a day or two and just play around inside media encoder with a 10 second little clip, and then compare them to each other. And then decide what you need for whatever purpose you're doing it for (Eg: When I'm doing the videos for my minecraft stuff, I had to switch codecs to something that was a little bit worse quality, but was a third the size because the wireless upload speed here is absolutely useless.)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-07-19 23:32:09)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I actually like FCPX. It serves my purposes well, other than the fact that my graphics card doesn't let me get realtime playback, even when using proxy footage... But my computer is a bit outdated. It's an absolute basic MacBook Pro configuration from 2009. Not really the program's fault.

I don't care about backwards compatibility at all. The program was completely rewritten from the ground up, and there are functions in 7 that just don't match up with X, so it's totally understandable to me. It's something for a 3rd party developer to take a crack at, and they have. Good enough for me.

Premiere is great because it talks nicely with other Adobe apps like AE and Audition. FCPX has taken a step backwards in that regard, but it's taken a huge leap forward in terms of the interface and ease of use IMO. I work quicker in X than I do in 7. Especially with stuff like b-roll, where you can assign key words to ranges of clips and stuff like that. And having thumbnails like that in the browser is really convenient. I'm no longer just clicking on a random file name to see if it's the one I'm looking for, or if there's something I can use. Now it's all there in front of me.

I personally don't need Apple to do much else with it, other than a few bug fixes, and switchable windows would be really nice. Of course professionals have many more needs than I do, but personally, I like it. I just hope 3rd party plugin developers don't abandon it!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watching this thread with interest

Thumbs up Thumbs down