Topic: Doctor Who is awesome, yeah?

I know there are a few Doctor Who fans on here, so why not start a thread?

A trailer for the new series was released today and it's got me rather excited.

Dinosaurs on a spaceship, that says it all!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Doctor Who is awesome, yeah?

OH.FUCK.YES.Just.Yes.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

High Res version of the awesome season poster: http://www.comingsoon.net/nextraimages/bigwho.jpg

I am so fucking psyched for this season, I have a feeling they're going all out while they still have the current cast all together.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That is now my wallpaper smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

An unconscious Karen Gillan. Yes please.

I- wait...uh. Did I say that out loud?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

http://api.ning.com/files/Jfki3ApywEZIZjNheIXUS7YBHrliP5vOYqgQb*XB2OAOn6eAwWQU-BgCRxWvhaWVrXs6RbVhwyWzJ21WLGzW1OdtJwZv*Idt/kickpuncher.png?width=737&height=552

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Please tell me that dude kicks someone. Best. Episode. Ever.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm a bit torn. Not only because David Tennant is, and will forever be MY Doctor, but because I'm getting fed up by Smith's performance. It's not that I don't like Smith, he's a great actor, I'm just sick of his interpretation of the Doctor; jolly, child-like and eccentric, with very few serious moments of seriousness.
That being said, though, next year marks the 50th anniversary. If they don't do something like "The Two Doctors" or "The Five Doctors", I will be very cross with them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well Smith is my Doctor, so any arguments I make in his defense will be immediately shot down. (Tennant is still my favorite, but Smith is my doctor).

But the argument I would make, is that his incarnation hasn't really been given a whole lot of super serious moments to play from a script level. But when he is given those moments, I love the shit out of them, and think he pulls them off nicely.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I have a man crush on David Tennant but he left at the right time as I was getting fed up with his constant shouting as the Doctor. I like Smith, I'm not getting bored of him yet, but that's not to say I won't because I did with DT......

Thumbs up Thumbs down

David Tennant was great, but his companions got progressively more annoying, in my opinion. And RTD's scripts got progressively more ridiculous and mawkish until the finale just threw up on itself and sobbed.

Matt Smitt under Steven Moffat was a wonderful breath of fresh air that is only just starting to go a little stale after last year's season-long shaggy dog story.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

David Tennant was great, but his companions got progressively more annoying, in my opinion. And RTD's scripts got progressively more ridiculous and mawkish until the finale just threw up on itself and sobbed.

Matt Smitt under Steven Moffat was a wonderful breath of fresh air that is only just starting to go a little stale after last year's season-long shaggy dog story.

Yep. This. All of this.

Love David Tennant, got bored/annoyed with the rest of it...

PS. Soooo... giant sacks of living fat that look like baby Stay Puft marshmallow men?! SERIOUSLY?!?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I have just watched the Christmas special from 2011, The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe for the very first time.

It wasn't all that great.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-08-04 01:49:42)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seriously?! I enjoyed the fuck oughta that episode, thought it was among of the best of nuwho (let's say top 10).

Certainly better than the Christmas Carol rip they did.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-04 01:57:01)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

In general, a Doctor should last three or four years, a companion one or two. Show runners, about the same length as a Doctor and ideally should straddle either side of a regeneration. Go outside this, and things start getting stale. Just the fact that RTD was allowed to step aside and we didn't get a repeat of the whole JNT fiasco was wonderful, regardless of how actual episodes are.
(for those newer fans, Jonathan Nathan Turner became head producer during the 4th Doctor's last season. He lasted until the show was canceled, covering Doctors 5 through 7. In the later years when he tried to quit, he was told he wouldn't be replaced and the show would be canceled)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Seriously?! I enjoyed the fuck oughta that episode, thought it was among of the best of nuwho (let's say top 10).

Certainly better than the Christmas Carol rip they did.

Yes, but you and I are two different people with different opinions on things.

We've talked about this, BDA..... big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

NO. You MUST believe what I believe. This is the true and right way of the world, because I am ALWAYS right.

/Slams hammer on desk/

NOW OBEY!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Ya, I can't view it objectively cause Smith was my first doctor, so he just feels right in the role. I will say this though, I don't like the companions at all from Tenants run, the companions for Smith's run have been awesome, and are by far my favorite parts of the show. It also helps that the production values have finally reached a point on this show where they can reasonably pull off the crazy shit they're trying to do without it looking like garbage.

I'm really pumped to see if this season Moffat can pull off the impossible and combine the consistently high quality of individual episodes from season 6 with the kind of very strong season-long arc that season 5 had (which 6 kind of flubbed despite having better individual episodes).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

PS. Soooo... giant sacks of living fat that look like baby Stay Puft marshmallow men?! SERIOUSLY?!?

This came about as a result of The Mill getting the European licence to Massive.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

BigDamnArtist wrote:

NO. You MUST believe what I believe. This is the true and right way of the world, because I am ALWAYS right.

/Slams hammer on desk/

NOW OBEY!

No, 'cause in this case, you're outnumbered. And outgunned. And out...WHATEVER, YOU CAN'T MAKE A WITTY COMEBACK THIS TIME!

//
on topic:
Tennant was my favorite, but I agree he left at the perfect time. My Girlfriend clings to Eccleston like baby to a teat(her own words), and nobody I know prefer Smith. I don't mean to say I hate him at all, I still enjoy the show, and "The Doctor's Wife" is one of my all-time favorites, up there with "The Girl In The Fireplace", "End of Time", "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" and "The Eleventh Hour", but his childish nature and "I know(from the latest xmas special) is just too much. Also, when you're gonna use Bill Bailey, fuckin' use him, not just have him be in it for 2 minutes.

Can't wait to see Mark Williams and David Bradley in season 7 though ^^

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

Also, when you're gonna use Bill Bailey, fuckin' use him, not just have him be in it for 2 minutes.

Dude! So much, fucking, this^

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

but his childish nature and "I know(from the latest xmas special) is just too much.

Alright I have to pipe up at this one. You can hate the childlike nature, fine whatever. But the "I know" was a gag in the christmas special used for all of about 3 minutes.

*Removed comment because obviously some people have no sense of humour about these things*

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-04 23:11:33)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
vidina wrote:

but his childish nature and "I know(from the latest xmas special) is just too much.

Alright I have to pipe up at this one. You can hate the childlike nature, fine whatever. But the "I know" was a gag in the christmas special used for all of about 3 minutes. Get over it.

It was used about five times in three minutes, though, which I think was Vidina's point. No need to say 'get over it' just because someone disagrees with you......

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yup, it is.

I got into The Doctor rather late, like after season 6 was over.  At Teague's suggestion, and as I've since suggested to others since, I started with 5 & 6, then went back for 1 - 4.

My Doctor is Matt Smith, and not just because he was my first.  His Doctor feels less like he's carrying the weight of all of time and space on his shoulders, as  Tennant's did.  I grew to like Tennant's Doctor, but he was too quick to turn serious and start shouting.  Smith's Doctor's character, or rather the tone his character sets for seasons 5 & 6, is perfectly summed up in his recurring line of "Geronimo!" -- it says to the audience "Ready or not, here we go, and it's going to be amazing!".  For me, mostly, it is.

Regarding the holiday episodes, I also prefer the Christmas Carol to the Wardrobe.  And honestly, why did it take so long for someone to go "Wait, Dickins, Ghosts of past, present and future...that's time travel!"?

I suspect the Olympics are to blame, but I hate the fact that we have to wait until next year to get new Who (and new Top Gear for that matter).

Tom Baker is my Doctor, pretty much because he was my first. But Matt Smith does come as my second favourite and that is because of the whole over the top, childlike enthusiasm.

@Matt Vayda - The new series starts later this month (I think...the BBC don't tend to let dates out until quite late), unless of course you mean Netflix in the US or something. Also, your location says 'Forida'...unless it's intentional, you may wanna change that!  tongue

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down