Re: Doctor Who is awesome, yeah?

Hmm, ok then; the last I had read was that the next episode to air was going to be this year's holiday episode.

Forida...it's near Abama, just a lot sweatier. >_>

I think it's the first five episodes this year and then the Christmas special is where the new companion is introduced with the rest of the series carrying on shortly after.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, it's a batch of around five then the Christmas special, then the remainder of the series with the new girl.

Technically, Slyvester McCoy is my Doctor as his are the shows I watched first in the late 80s, I then went back and watched as many of the older ones as I could. Tom Baker is actually my favourite.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So there just happened to be a Dr Who martathon on today, and I watched a couple episodes. And I kinda realized something. I think Smiths Doctor is in the same boat as the Comedian. He gets the joke (Not smith, but the actual Doctor himself), he has taken that step back and gone... my life is fucking ridiculous...awesome!...well I guess all I can do is ride the wave.

So that's what gives him his childlike nature, he's just loving the trip. But as soon as the people he loves are in danger, that disappears and he is in serious, kick ass mode.

The episodes I watched specifically were the Hungry Earth 2-parter. So minor spoilers for those ahead. When the doctor is with the chick and they get dragged down to the Homo Reptilus city, he's just feeding off her amazement and what the fuckery, and going "I know right?!" (Also... when she see's the inside of the tardis for the first time...but I mean, everyone has that reaction) but when Amy and Rory got kidnapped he was in full out, "I will find you and kill you." mode, and when he's dealing with the Reptile leaders or whatever he's very serious.

Honestly dude, I think there's a lot more seriousness in Smiths Doctor then you remember. He just only pulls it out when his companions are in danger (Which is...A lot) or when he needs to be, otherwise, he's just loving life and enjoying the bizarro ride.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Who are you aiming that last part at, BDA? smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

IDK, somebody said that Smith never has any serious moments. I'm too lazy to go find who it was.

Edit: Vidina

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-05 18:52:05)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I will admit, I like the 6th Doctor, Colin Baker, the best. He was hampered by the worst companions and some bad scripts, but I loved the almost anti-hero quality to him.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, CB gets a bad rap but I did admire the fact that he wasn't afraid to play him as a bit of a bastard.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

September(UK), IIRC.

BDA: Chill pill, here on the table, come eat it. I meant no harm, I only expressed my personal opinion. We can all blander and argue who's(pun very much intended) the better Doctor, but it all comes down to taste.

But we can, however, agree on the best companions.

It's Amy, for being insanely hot, AND Scottish. Double win. (Or Rose, for being so damn awesome.)

The answer is hidden in the dark, obviously.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sarah Jane is my favourite, but Amy is my geekcrush!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I won't deny the fact that Amy being Scottish is a bonus point big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Vidina, can I ask you something, in absolute, complete sincerity?

Why is it exactly that whenever I try to engage in a conversation by offering some sort of new idea or evidence to the contrary of some idea the person opposite of me thinks, I get told to chill out, or get off my fucking high horse?

Do I just not understand this whole conversation thing? I mean isn't this how civilized people have a discussion about things they don't agree on? Or are we just not allowed to talk to each other about anything we disagree with then?

I honestly don't get it.

On companions: Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Then Amy.

When it comes to Rose, I grew to not completely loathe her face and voice every time she was on screen over the length of her run....thaaaats about as far as I'm willing to go. She just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason... (Giggity) but I could never get on board with her.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Vidina, can I ask you something, in absolute, complete sincerity?

Why is it exactly that whenever I try to engage in a conversation by offering some sort of new idea or evidence to the contrary of some idea the person opposite of me thinks, I get told to chill out, or get off my fucking high horse?

Do I just not understand this whole conversation thing? I mean isn't this how civilized people have a discussion about things they don't agree on? Or are we just not allowed to talk to each other about anything we disagree with then?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/Forum%20Stuffs/ummmm.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Get over it.

That's why. You force your own opinions onto others, and although it might be meant ironically or as sarcasm, pulling sarcasm off online is tricky at best, without using emoticons.

No hard feelings.

Move along, move along.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw a report today that the BBC is doing a TV movie about the creation of Doctor Who. Great idea, the story of how something that wacky got on the air is a good one. But, here's the thing. They're going to be casting actors to play the roles of the original cast. The Doctor, Susan, Ian, Barbara. So... wouldn't it be a shame to have that, and NOT do a multi-Doctor episode of the current series? Think of the FUN they could have! Hell, if you REALLY want to tie up loose ends, have Susan in fact be the current Doctor's Granddaughter, and he leaves her with his original self!

(I so want the show, at some point, to deal with the whole Susan thing. You'd think the Doctor would have bumped into her again some time other than the 5 Doctors...)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think Doctor Who fell into my "bedrest list"; one of the things I'll get around to once I'm paralyzed or something, and can finally catch up on all the media I haven't had time for. I got midway through season 4 (of the 'reboot'- or whatever it's called), and was loving it, but then life got in the way or something, cause I haven't finished it yet. It's that great rare balance of fun, drama, and irreverence. I also always appreciated that they were able to drift between overarching story curves, and just plain apeshit stuff, without having it feel too uncentered. 

I really enjoyed David Tennant's Dr,  so it's nice that there are a few of those waiting for me in the future, but I also really tended to enjoy Moffat's episode, so the idea of him being the lead writer on season 5 (is that true?) is a fun prospect. Don't have any Smith Opinions yet.

Reading over this post, I sound like one of 'those' people- but- this is a thread for that- so that's safe... right?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I tend to get to the new Who whenever I get around to it as well. Part of it is not getting BBC America, part of it is wishing they'd ditch season long plot arcs for a year or five. Part of it is also just being happy the show is back, and that is almost as good as watching smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Matt Smitt under Steven Moffat was a wonderful breath of fresh air that is only just starting to go a little stale after last year's season-long shaggy dog story.

I totally agree. I think that series 5 is probably the best and most consistent of New Who, but series 6 really went off the rails. I think someone needs to sit Moffat down and explain that more complicated plots aren't always smarter plots.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Allison wrote:

but series 6 really went off the rails. I think someone needs to sit Moffat down and explain that more complicated plots aren't always smarter plots.

Yeeaaaah.

I'm still trying to figure out who the hell read the script for Let's Kill Hitler and went "Yeah, that's worth making, we should definitely make THAT." 

facepalm

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-17 19:21:12)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I am still not over the fact that they explicitly stated that River Song was a worse war criminal than Hitler, and then just moved on and never looked back.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No kidding. I kinda got the feeling through all of River's stuff that the writers were trying to give her this mysterious and dark past. Except none of them actually had a fucking clue what it was and just decided to make up a new one every time.

And ugh, alright I gotta get this off my chest because it kills me every time I think about it. *Spoilers*

Soooo.....you legitimately expect me to just go along with the idea that Amy has had this lifelong friend that also believes and is obsessed with the Doc...and we've NEVER met her before?! Like....she wasn't even at her wedding?!

Isn't that like the exact same set up for every episode of Sci-Fi where that friend actually turns out to be an alien that implants itself in peoples memories? (Stargate, Torchwood, I'm sure there are others)

....And this is the part where I tried....I really really tried*... to rip apart how much Melody Pond's life makes NO SENSE. And I couldn't, I just couldn't. It's like this dense ball of loop backs and contradictions and bullshitery that makes dissecting Primer look about as complicated as a book by Eric Hill.

So basically what I'm getting at is that the writers bible for Melody Pond looked kinda like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDnTLtpNZCZmjalzqkBuo_sH8n3vy0DXsQEq3jr4TCX6eCWOgK

and the writers room like this:

http://sureiscute.com/images/cutepictures/I_Have_No_Idea_What_I_m_Doing.jpg

*Literally. I spent about an hour reading and rereading the wiki for Melody and the episodes for season 6, and I just wound up even more confused than I started out.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-17 20:27:08)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

See, this is why you shouldn't have continuity in Doctor Who smile No epic arcs, no main characters or companions with dark secrets. Make the damned thing episodic again, at least for a decade or so...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some arcs work well - like the crack in time - because the arc is merely a backdrop for the episodic stuff.  You should be able to watch the show without knowing about the arcs and still have fun.

Any thoughts on the new companion?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The next series is supposedly episodic, with each episode being a 'mini-blockbuster'. They even released a movie-style poster for the first episode.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31800000/Asylum-of-the-Daleks-poster-doctor-who-31819810-1810-1280.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

See, this is why you shouldn't have continuity in Doctor Who  No epic arcs, no main characters or companions with dark secrets. Make the damned thing episodic again, at least for a decade or so...

See, I go the complete opposite direction, I hate the little one off shows, I would rather have a multiple season long story that runs through everything (See below) but as for season 6:

The problem isn't even the arc, the arc would be fine, except for the fact that's built entirely on the story of Melody, aaaaaand that entire character is so horribly designed from the ground up that the arc suffers for it. If they had simplified her backstory and actually had a godsdamned clue what they wanted her to be, the arc would have been amazing. There are hints of awesomeness in there (Kidnapped by the silence, the silence themselves are actually pretty awesome too, brainwashed to kill the doctor, the whole space suit thing, 2 people trapped to meet each other in reverse, that's all awesome; it's just lost in this giant maze of confusion about the character.

As for the new companion, I haven't really heard or seen anything about her, so I can't make a call. But I still contend that the Doc needs a male companion, after the taster we got with Rory, I think a male companion would be badass. I'm picturing something like the Doc picks up the companion and over the seasons he get's trained up and decides he wants a little more, so he breaks way and starts roaming the galaxy on his own (Maybe he manages to find one of a Time Agents travel device in a back alley dive bar or something, and that triggers something in him) or something and maybe turns into some sort of antagonistic force to the Doctor.

Actually...no, this is mine, none of you can use this, I'm making this.

Personally, my favorite parts of season 6 were the doctor without any companions, like when he was dealing with the monk guy and rounding up the forces. Just seeing the Doctor in those kinds of situations, actually living a life and making backroom deals and those sorts of things and not just bouncing around from place to place saving worlds every day, I geek out a bit. We need more of that (And yes you people, I know, that's sacrilege, whatever, change can be good, embrace it tongue)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-17 23:47:09)

ZangrethorDigital.ca