Re: Doctor Who is awesome, yeah?

I am glad the show has gotten, somewhat, away from a single female companion. You do need someone traveling with him, so he can bounce dialog off of them (having him team up with a local can have the same function, true). Male companion, teen companion... hell, maybe a father/daughter combo. Lots of room to experiment, and with luck they'll have decades to try everything smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

I am glad the show has gotten, somewhat, away from a single female companion. You do need someone traveling with him, so he can bounce dialog off of them (having him team up with a local can have the same function, true). Male companion, teen companion... hell, maybe a father/daughter combo. Lots of room to experiment, and with luck they'll have decades to try everything smile

Speaking of "father/daughter", the "Doctor's Daughter" had such potential. The episode was pretty dumb, but the girl was super cute and seemed like a great potential companion. And it would make sense for the Doctor to want to keep her close (insert snark here).

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

One of my favourite companion combo's has always been the original: Susan, Barbara and Ian. Susan's exit still gets to me.

I actually quite like this version with the Doomsday score added to it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've said it before, I'd love for the Doctor to travel with Susan's kids smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Speaking of "father/daughter", the "Doctor's Daughter" had such potential. The episode was pretty dumb, but the girl was super cute and seemed like a great potential companion. And it would make sense for the Doctor to want to keep her close (insert snark here).

Well, David Tennant certainly thought so; he married her. For additional fan squee, the actress who played the Doctor's daughter, Georgia Moffett, is the actual daughter of Peter Davison, who played Doctor number 5.

Cue the follow-up episode, "Timey-wimey, Father-in-lawbbly".

Georgia Moffett in that episode managed get onto my very short list of women who are, literally, painfully cute.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

fcw wrote:
Zarban wrote:

And it would make sense for the Doctor to want to keep her close (insert snark here).

Well, David Tennant certainly thought so; he married her.

http://i.qkme.me/3q39y4.jpg

Invid wrote:

I started watching the show with David Tennant as the Doctor and Catherine Tate as his companion. After that series got me hooked, I went back to the Ninth Doctor and caught up on all the episodes of new Who. Eccleston's Doctor pissed me off to no end, and I was glad when he finally regenerated and I could get back to Tennant's Doctor.  But although I enjoyed the Tenth Doctor when I first began watching, the tone of the show soon began to grate on my nerves. Rose was annoying and I didn't miss her when she was gone. As much as I really, really like Martha, watching her pine over the Doctor for an entire season was just painful, and I was glad when she left the show as well.

Re-watching the third series really made me appreciate Catherine Tate's performance, her chemistry with Tennant, and her role as friend rather than romantic interest. To me, she's one of the few characters since the reboot to respond to the Doctor in a remotely realistic way.

As for Matt Smith, I love him. I think he's great as the new Doctor. I'm kind of indifferent to Amy, and River Song is a perfect example of how to take a good character idea and ruin it, but Rory has been a lot of fun and the two episodes with Craig really made me wish the Doctor would take him and his family for a spin in the TARDIS.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, basically agree on all of points except Catherine Tate.

Quick run down:

Eccleston + Rose= I could barely get myself through it but forced myself too for sake of completion

Tennant + Rose= Better, and it got better towards the end, but I still don't like her (BTW, can we please get an entire season of Jack + Doctor?? Like please, can they juswt give that gift to the world, it would make it such a better place. Or maybe just an entire show of Jack exploring the galaxy I would watch the shit out of that. *Dozes into blissful daydreams* Hmm? What was I talking about again? Oh right...)

Tennant + Martha= I honestly remember very little from this period (So, that speaks for itself), I do know that Marth kinda pisses me off when she's in Torchwood and the other cameos, so I probably didn't enjoy it much.

Tennant + Donna= Ugh... alright, so I like the idea of Donna. A strong female who can keep up with the Doctors wit and kinda gets on his nerves in that quirky but charming way. But Catherine Tate plays her in this just grating, bubbly beyond belief way, and with her constantly swooning and complaining every other second, I just hated her by the end of the first episode.

Smith + Amy= Love it. Nough said.

Smith + Amy+ Rory= This one's funny, because when first started I was like "Seriously? This is what we're doing now?" and while I didn't hate him on nearly any of the levels of the rest, I was more just kinda meh about him. And then once all of his shit rolled around and he started becoming Rory: The Last Fucking Centurion, I was tooooootally on board and was like hell fucking yeah Rory for the win!! He is easily my favorite companion, his growth is astounding, yet believable, I totally buy that this is a guy that would spend 2000 years guarding the woman he loves. Also, I LOOOOOOVE the fact that Rory is now older than the Doctor. They don't play with it too much, but every once and a while Rory will just have a tiny little moment, and I fall in love with him all over again.

And then well, there's this:

and finally

Amy + Rory + River= Ugh...I've said enough about how much I hate what they did to River, and how much that fucked over the rest of the show. So just go read those.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-19 03:04:31)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I thought I'd hate Rose at first, but I absolutely loved her. And her admiration for the Doctor made me like Eccleston. I actually think he was almost perfect as the Eighth Doctor because he was no good with the humor, which made him seem all the more haunted by the Time War.

Tennant was just great, and the second series is my favorite overall. I thought I'd love Marta but her mooning over the Doctor was annoying, and the third series finale was awful. Donna was okay. I don't see what some people see in her, but she didn't really annoy me much.

Smith is just terrific, and altho I didn't like the arc in series 6, series 5 and the development of Amy and Rory has been fun. I've never really liked Rory, but the producers heaped such endless misery on him that he grew on me just for his dogged persistence and humility. I liked River a lot at first, but as they tried to untangle her story, it just fell apart, and she became more and more annoying in her smugness and selfishness.

Last edited by Zarban (2012-08-19 03:48:30)

STOP THE PRESSES do you guys not like Martha Jones? Martha is my favorite companion!
Donna is my second favorite, followed by Amy and then Rose. I feel weird placing Rose last since Billie Piper was the person who got me into DW in the first place, but her writing got sloppy towards the end of her run.

Zarban wrote:

I actually think he was almost perfect as the Eighth Doctor because he was no good with the humor, which made him seem all the more haunted by the Time War.

I totally agree. Nine always seems to get the short end of the fandom stick, but I thought he was great in the role. I mean, the man just came out of a genocide and he managed to have fun.

Last edited by Allison (2012-08-19 05:26:53)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't know if this is part of the Classic Who mythology, but I like to imagine that part of the tragedy of being the Doctor is that, while each new regeneration retains the memories of the previous ones, they lose emotional attachment to them.

That would explain Nine's half-hearted attempts at humor. the Time War is fresh in his mind, but it's like something he read about in a book—except he's in it.

It explains why none(?) of the Doctors visit past companions (except, as Ten did, his own companions).

And it especially explains Ten's desperate reluctance to regenerate. He knows he will lose his feelings for Rose and the others, and they will become no more to him than acquaintances.

I really wanted Ten to explain that to Wilf when they were having their maudlin conversation at the end of Ten's run. It seemed awfully selfish of the Doctor to lament his imminent regeneration to an 80-year old man.

Allison wrote:

STOP THE PRESSES do you guys not like Martha Jones? Martha is my favorite companion!
Donna is my second favorite, followed by Amy and then Rose. I feel weird placing Rose last since Billie Piper was the person who got me into DW in the first place, but her writing got sloppy towards the end of her run.

I liked Martha but I thought she was wasted during her season, all she did was fawn over the Doctor and that got boring very quickly. I don't think the hatred aimed at Martha is fair, I certainly don't think it's Freema's fault, she tried her best but RTD screwed her over with poor dialogue and stories. It's telling that the best story (for her character) she's in was actually adapted from an existing Who novel (Human Nature/The Family Of Blood) just with added racial tension........

And a positive black role model for children on British TV is always a good thing. smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Allison wrote:

I love Martha. She was strong, capable and smart. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment she had on screen without the Doctor, and  thought she would have been a great companion. Unfortunately, I found her one-sided love for him to be a bad idea, poorly executed. And once I had that in mind, all of the other problems I had with the show just compounded themselves until I was glad to see the back of her.

Donna and the introduction of River Song really brought the show back around for me, because by that point, I'd just about had it with the Tenth Doctor. Not with Tennant's performance, just the way he was being written. The RTD scripted episodes are some of my least favorites, and as executive producer, I tend to lay much of the blame at his feet. I enjoy the show much more with Moffat at the helm.

However, the rapport that River Song has with the Tenth Doctor feels like overkill when it comes to the Eleventh Doctor. And her backstory is really, really sad and horrible. Horrible in the kind of way that a writer should really hesitate before doing to a lead character.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

I don't know if this is part of the Classic Who mythology, but I like to imagine that part of the tragedy of being the Doctor is that, while each new regeneration retains the memories of the previous ones, they lose emotional attachment to them.

That would explain Nine's half-hearted attempts at humor. the Time War is fresh in his mind, but it's like something he read about in a book—except he's in it.

It explains why none(?) of the Doctors visit past companions (except, as Ten did, his own companions).

And it especially explains Ten's desperate reluctance to regenerate. He knows he will lose his feelings for Rose and the others, and they will become no more to him than acquaintances.

I really wanted Ten to explain that to Wilf when they were having their maudlin conversation at the end of Ten's run. It seemed awfully selfish of the Doctor to lament his imminent regeneration to an 80-year old man.

This works really well for early 10 was going all out with Rose; it's as if he was trying to prove something to her even thought they'd been together for a year.
And you have a point with Wilf but 10 was pretty adept at being an asshole, so...

Okay, I'm relieved you guys do not hate Martha. I for one liked the shift from her idolizing/trying to please the Doctor to realizing that she was brilliant.  It was character growth that worked for me, but I guess YMMV.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

There's a bit in the great New Adventures book Love and War, where we see the various versions of The Doctor presented as separate aspects who compete somewhat. It's suggested that the Seventh Doctor sort of killed the Sixth because he wasn't taking things seriously and there were important things to do. The incarnations being separate also comes up in how the 4th Doctor becomes the 5th.

As for why he doesn't visit companions, mostly it's for real world reasons although you can naturally retcon it in the show smile Previous companions are name dropped now and then, but while there were plans to bring some back it never happened apart from The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors, and bringing The Brigadier back for two other episodes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I found out too late that they were shooting part of the Christmas special round the corner from my work last night. boo

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

On another forum I frequent, a regular there says he was at the filming last night, he didn't see much filming but he got to met Matt Smith who came over to meet and greet the fans. Jammy bastard.

Also, the new series will start in September at some point as the first part of the series will be out on dvd and Blu Ray in the UK on October 29th- http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/3459 … tails.html

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-08-21 12:12:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

New series starts September 1st on BBC One.  I believe will air in the US a week later.

However, another series called 'Pond Life' starts at midday on Monday 27th, and runs all week.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m98u7he2ju1qcwhkeo1_400.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fcw wrote:

New series starts September 1st on BBC One.  I believe will air in the US a week later.

The "air them in the US on the same day" decision was short lived, I suppose. This is disappointing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We actually ARE lucky enough to be getting it same-day, September 1st, here in the ol' US of A.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's funny cos he's you know. The Eleventh Doctor!  lol

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

C-Spin wrote:

We actually ARE lucky enough to be getting it same-day, September 1st, here in the ol' US of A.

That'll teach me to believe Phil Plait.

Glad to see that a Doctor Who forum was added to this forum.  Got interested in the series when SyFy Channel showed a marathon of it one day.  Have a bunch of the stories for each Doctor and while it's hard for me to determine who's my favorite Doctor, I enjoy each of them for one reason or another.

Some questions for those who are fans of DW

• What are some of your favorite stories for each Doctor?

• What are some of your favorite regenerations?  (actually regenerations, not overall story)

• Whate are stories that you like even if they are considered "bad/rubbish" to most of the fans?

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, I suggest you check this video called "This is Gallifrey/Vale Decem" that happened at the 2010 Doctor Who at the Proms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsPJp3KjAL8

Thumbs up Thumbs down