Topic: The "Oh, you know the one...it had the thing!" thread

Whether it's a movie, tv episode, book or whatever, we've all had that moment.

So now you can come here for help! Simply post what you can remember and we'll do the rest.

I'll start.

So mine is a movie I saw a while back. It was in Russian (I think, but definitely not english) Basically it's set in a nearish future world (That is kinda like a pre WW2 russia, very poor, and downtrodden) where people can now virtually enter into video games and play them. It focus's on one of the elite players (A woman) in an underground gaming ring where players make money based on how well they play and how entertaining they are. I remember there's a scene where she's making dinner, and chopping up veggies and making rice and stuff and then gives a bowl of it to her cat, and then the police come and start questioning her about how well her cat eats and where she gets the money for that kind of thing...er at least something like that. It's very sort of slow and contemplative, there's not a lot of talking. It was made probably around early oughts and was definitly low budgetish. It had some pretty solid and some pretty iffy effects.

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-27 00:09:17)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: The "Oh, you know the one...it had the thing!" thread

OK, here's mine. Black and white movie. Set, I think, in New York. A giant stop motion bird with a male (?) head is roosting in a skyscraper and eating people. I think it showed up a couple times on the weekend monster movie in the 70's. No, it's not Q.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Without looking it up, I'm guessing Invid's is The Giant Claw.    At least it sounds like a movie I saw as a kid, and I just happen to remember the title.

Invid wrote:

No, it's not Q.

Oh! I was totally gonna say Q. That's the movie with the famous "The dreck was my idea" story.

If Trey is right, this should jostle a few apples loose.

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/giantclaw/giantclaw8.jpg

Last edited by Zarban (2012-08-27 03:48:47)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Two government (I think) guys leave after talking to someone. On the way back to the car, one says to the other 'That was so poorly handled'.

And that's all I remember. What is this?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Spider-Man 3?

No Way Out?

Last edited by Zarban (2012-08-27 04:53:35)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I know I shouldn't be surprised anymore that Trey just up and knew such an obscure thing. But here we are.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Chalk it up to the world as it was before home video.   There weren't THAT many cheap 50's horror movies available to be shown on Saturday afternoon creature features - any kid who watched as religiously as I did pretty much saw them ALL within a year or two.   

I think I saw Giant Claw more than once, actually.     And I musta seen THEM half a dozen times by the time I was fourteen.

Heh, Saturday afternoons, eh? As a child, I saw lots of old Universal horror movies, 50s B-movies and the like in a late-night timeslot called Don't Watch Alone on Scottish Television. I distinctly remember being freaked out by the, let's call it a, monster in The Giant Claw because it was so ridiculously unreal that it sort-of wrapped around the reality spectrum and became superreal. Or maybe I was just tired.

I will admit my memory is more of a human head on a bird, sort of a harpy, but we are talking 30+ years. I'll have to check out Giant Claw.

(I've just discovered 'Message from Space' on Netflix. Why, oh why, did I never see this as a kid?!?)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh good lord - I think I know this one too.   

Look up Otherworld and see if it's what you're thinking of...

BigDamnArtist wrote:

So mine is a movie I saw a while back. It was in Russian (I think, but definitely not english) Basically it's set in a nearish future world (That is kinda like a pre WW2 russia, very poor, and downtrodden) where people can now virtually enter into video games and play them. It focus's on one of the elite players (A woman) in an underground gaming ring where players make money based on how well they play and how entertaining they are. I remember there's a scene where she's making dinner, and chopping up veggies and making rice and stuff and then gives a bowl of it to her cat, and then the police come and start questioning her about how well her cat eats and where she gets the money for that kind of thing...er at least something like that. It's very sort of slow and contemplative, there's not a lot of talking. It was made probably around early oughts and was definitly low budgetish. It had some pretty solid and some pretty iffy effects.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sounds like it could be Avalon? It's sort of Polish/Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_%282001_film%29

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sheet son, that's the one!

Was a good flick last time I watched it, hopefully it still is.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

It's that credit sequence that's amazing.   How much '80's did THAT show have in it?  All of it.  All of the '80's.

I got to the bit where the blond was a glam rock drummer. Then I died.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I suspect I've thoroughly mangled the memory but here goes:

A TV show from the late 80s or early 90s staring mostly kids. I only saw the last few minutes of one episode. A bunch of the kids were forced to dig out a blue glowing wall and if you touched it bad things happened. Then one kid touched it and they weren't hurt because reasons.

At the end there was something about transporting and the last shot was the hero group walking around the top of a modern looking tower but it wasn't where they wanted to be. It stuck with me because the end was a downer and, as I had up until then only seen such edgy stuff as Mr. Dressup and Polka Dot Door, I was all "Wait...the good guys didn't win? They aren't allowed to end it like that! It's against the rules!"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Heh. Reminds me of seeing Land of the Lost and, to a greater extent, H.R. Puffinstuf. The kid NEVER got home!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I caught the end of a movie on TV one night and all I can remember was it involved this hitman type character and a cab driver. I think it ended with the cab driver getting shot by the hitman and he wasn't too happy about that.

EDIT: Well, I found that one out myself...looks like it's Collateral tongue

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2012-08-29 22:03:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phi wrote:

I suspect I've thoroughly mangled the memory but here goes:

A TV show from the late 80s or early 90s staring mostly kids. I only saw the last few minutes of one episode. A bunch of the kids were forced to dig out a blue glowing wall and if you touched it bad things happened. Then one kid touched it and they weren't hurt because reasons.

At the end there was something about transporting and the last shot was the hero group walking around the top of a modern looking tower but it wasn't where they wanted to be.

The bit about transporting -- if you by chance meant teleporting -- makes it sound like it might be the 90s version of The Tomorrow People.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was about to type up a vague description of a movie I watched with my Dad as a kid on tv one night that had a sea turtle and some kids carved something in its shell and a guy drops a necklace in the ocean at the end and sea turtle.  Then I went and Googled it one more time and found it - The Bermuda Depths.  ABC movie of the week on January 27th, 1978.  Carl Weathers (apparently looking to make a turtle stew), Connie Sellica (pre-Hotel), Burl Ives...I'm guessing Burl Ives is in it due to it being made by Rankin-Bass.  Anyway, just in case someone ELSE's movie they couldn't remember happens to be this one, I went ahead and put the info on here.  Also, it's available on dvd now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

The bit about transporting -- if you by chance meant teleporting -- makes it sound like it might be the 90s version of The Tomorrow People.

I looked up some episode summaries of The Tomorrow People and I don't think so. My impression was that there was teleporting, but that the blue glowing wall did it (???) and that the characters on the tower didn't know where the heck they were or how to get back. It wouldn't surprise me if the show was British or Australian though. For a while I thought it might have been Round the Twist, but it wasn't.

I've tried googling to find it at various times but "buried blue glowing wall of doom" doesn't get one far tongue Considering it's a 20 year old memory I'm mostly left with my emotional reaction to it more than what was actually on the screen, and I was a pretty impressionable kid. After seeing parts of Ghostbusters 2 I was terrified for years that pink slime would come out of the shower.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK, here's another one. Late 70's early 80's. I'm going to assume some sort of British show that isn't Python, seen on either PBS or some Canadian channel (we got lots of them with a good UHF antenna). The actors are rabbits. Basically, just guys with bunny ears. The one, for some reason, tricks another rabbit into eating cake that ISN'T carrot cake, but is... Rabbit cake! The second rabbit is now a cannibal! He's horrified for a moment... then realizes he likes it. He then realizes his friend is a rabbit, and proceeds to chase him with a fork as the credits run.

A definite what the fuck moment in my childhood.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That would be The Goodies episode 'Invasion of the Moon Creatures' from 1973. It's on youtube but in 3 parts and what you are talking about is in part 3.  The Goodies was full of 'what the fuck' moments.

Part 1-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4JsNetyS6M
Part 2-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evtm39kvIsg
Part 3-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlS1etHeo7g

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK, this is amazing... yes, the end of that fits the details of what I remember. However, it LOOKS nothing like I remember! My memory has it slower, more scary (the reason I remembered it). I'm sure it's something Dad and I caught the end of flipping through the channels, and my young mind filled in stuff to cover what I didn't understand. I will say I don't think The Goodies was something we watched.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You said it was show that was not Monty Python and the Goodies often got (unfairly) compared to that troupe. It was the first thing I thought of when I read your post. You also said you just got the end so maybe the guys as bunnies caught your dad's attention? Our minds play trick on us sometimes, you may have added bits and changed a lot in your mind over the past 25-30 years.

Or it's just a major coincidence that a British show from the '70s ends almost the exact same way as a British show you remember from the 70s big_smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-08-31 00:35:55)

Thumbs up Thumbs down