Topic: What do you mean, 'Shawshank' isn't in the top 250?

The British Film Institute has published its ten-yearly update of its Greatest Films of All Time poll, in which My Neighbour Totoro has a higher ranking than Star Wars, and Shawshank ties with Starship Troopers, albeit at 894th.

But Troopers also ranks in the directors' poll, whereas Shawshank doesn't.

Last edited by fcw (2012-08-28 12:30:15)

Re: What do you mean, 'Shawshank' isn't in the top 250?

Bit of a snobs list - dominated by old b/w inaccessible foreign films about existential angst

Heavens forbid there's any unnecessary excitement in those high-ranking works of art

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My argument wouldn't be that Totoro is ahead of Star Wars, but that Totoro is the highest animated film on the list. It's great, but not even the best Miyazaki film let alone the best animated movie.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not to mention that it's possible to like films for just one aspect e.g. the FX, cinematography, score, acting, script, 1st Act, etc. Some people can appreciate the technical craft which recognizing that the narrative is lame.

The attack on Zion from Matrix Revolutions is an awesome FX sequence, but the movie itself is deeply flawed.

So not only is ranking movies subjective, but so is how you weight which aspect is important.

Therefore it makes slightly more sense to have a Top #250 for a specific aspect e.g. action scenes or finales or lighting or stunts or sequels, etc as then you're forcing everyone to adopt the similar criteria. But even so, everyone's list will be different.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bit of a snobs list - dominated by old b/w inaccessible foreign films about existential angst

Sir, I am shocked - SHOCKED! - at your accusation that film critics might be snobs about film.

Although actually, now that I think about it, not that shocked.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Melancholia (the worst film ever made) but no Ghostbusters or Space Jam? Go to hell, Sight and Sound. I'm canceling my subscription.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Change it to my address. I'd put Sans Soleil in the Top 10 and knock Citizen Kane into the teens, but out of the films I've seen this is a pretty solid list.

Thumbs up Thumbs down