Topic: Movies you're embarrassed to say you've never seen

This is something I got from Filmspotting, the terrific—if insufferably high-brow—film podcast. Top six movies you are embarrassed to admit you have never seen. (Why six? Well why five? Just because you've got five fingers on each hand? Racist.)

It's only fair that I start.

1. Schindler's List

2. There Will Be Blood

3. Up

4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

5. First Blood

6. Deliverance

The DIF show list and AFI's top 100 may be of interest, but it's nothing to be embarrassed about if you haven't seen a movie because you're sure you won't like it (Gone With the Wind, maybe).

EDIT: EZ-Bake list code:

[list=1]
[*]movie[/*]
[*]movie[/*]
[*]movie[/*]
[*]movie[/*]
[*]movie[/*]
[*]movie[/*]
[/list]

Last edited by Zarban (2010-05-29 15:03:36)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Re: Movies you're embarrassed to say you've never seen

Well, after a quick read of the AFI list, I can proudly say I have seen the vast majority of them. 

But there are some classics I have not seen...

1.  Rocky
2.  Lawrence of Arabia
3.  On the Waterfront
4.  A Streetcar Named Desire
5.  West Side Story
6.  Giant

"Schindler's List" is … well, it's kinda hard to say, really. Is it possible for a movie to be an utterly superlative example of the craft, deserving of every accolade you could smear on it … and pretty irrelevant in the context of the medium's latter-day history at the same time?

Anyway. My list:

1. Twelve Angry Men
2. Battleship Potemkin
3. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
4. The Searchers
5. Days of Heaven/Badlands (a twofer)
6. Godfather II. And guys? Seriously? For nearly a year, I've had the DVD sitting right here. Right on my table. I've just never once, in that entire year, been in the mood to watch it.

Oh, and until just recently, I was humiliated because I — an Errol Morris fanboy through and through — had never seen "The Thin Blue Line." I rectified that a few months back, thanks to Netflix, and my conclusion was pretty much that yup, I was a moron for not watching it sooner.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1)  Caché
2)  Amadeus
3)  The Wild Bunch
4)  Sunset Blvd.
5)  Gandhi

That AFI list is ok as a guide if you know nothing about movies but it's kinda silly.
Some Like It Hot 14th - Annie Hall 31st?
All About Eve 16th - Pulp Fiction 95th?
The African Queen 17th - Raiders of the Lost Ark 60th?

Trey you should watch Rocky soon, if only to hear Burgess Meredith say "hehe... digs his locker".

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oops, #6: Kramer vs. Kramer.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

beldar wrote:

That AFI list is ok as a guide if you know nothing about movies but it's kinda silly.

Yeah. The AFI list is sort of the list of cultural touchstone movies that people expect you to have seen if you say you're a movie lover. I think most people on the DIF forums would be more embarrassed to say they haven't seen Road House or The Fifth Element.

Woohoo! I knocked two off my list this weekend and probably number 7 as well. I think just making the list galvanized me. So now my list is...

1. Schindler's List

2. There Will Be Blood

3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

4. Deliverance

5. Clerks

6. Any of Adam Sandler's biggest movies

I can't tell you how many times someone I'm working with has made an Adam Sandler reference, and I just go, "What?" And they go, "[gasp!] You've never seen Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore/The Water Boy/Big Daddy/The Wedding Singer?!"

@Zarban

1. Never seen Schindler's.
2. There Will Be Blood is pretty much what you expect. Sort of compelling, very long, pretty, and worth is for Daniel Day Lewis' vocal affectation.
3. One Flew is actually pretty fucked up. Goes to the mansion a couple times, but comes back. Ultimately a good movie.
4. I lived in Arkansas. Don't talk to me.
5. Clerks is tiring; to me, it's like Annie Hall. You can legitimately say you've seen the whole thing after watching half an hour.
6. Happy Gilmore and The Wedding Singer are awesome, Big Daddy and Billy Madison are fun for their character performances, The Waterboy and Eight Crazy Nights are kind of retarded. The rest are the rest.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I fucking loved "There Will Be Blood." I thought it was magnificently riveting, and the fridge brilliance factor was terrific.

Adam Sandler, though … I'm probably drawing a blank right now, but the only movie with him in it that I remember enjoying at all was the remake of "The Longest Yard," but that's mostly because I'm a sucker for movies about football. "Punch Drunk Love," in particular, I had to turn off. I just couldn't handle it. Sandler's performance was so intense. Terrifyingly intense. And not like "wow, that's great" either. It was deeply unsettling for me. That might be a personal thing with me, though, I dunno.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Didn't care for Punch Drunk Love.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. The Godfather
2. Citizen Kane
3. Gone with the Wind
4. Fist Full of Dollars
5. Apocalypse Now
6. A Clockwork Orange

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For me, it's not so much movies I'm embarrassed about not seeing as movies I know people will give me a shocked "You mean you HAVEN'T SEEN -- ?!" reaction when I say so.

Had this come up six months ago, I would have listed GODFATHER 1&2, CITIZEN KANE, CASABLANCA, DR. STRANGELOVE and PSYCHO. But I can proudly say I have seen all of them now. The GODFATHER films and KANE are laudable in an "I see what you did there" kind of way. I loved the latter three.

So now, going off the AFI list, my list would be:

1. Easy Rider

2. Apocalypse Now

3. Lawrence of Arabia

4. Taxi Driver

5. Raging Bull

6. It's a Wonderful Life

Also, I loved PUNCH DRUNK LOVE, in a baffled, "I don't know what just happened but I was weirdly enthralled" kind of way. Basically the same way I loved NAPOLEON DYNAMITE.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Going off the AFI List...

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962) -- This is just a movie I should have seen by now.  There's nothing I don't like about Peter O'Toole and Alec Guinness riding drunkenly around the desert.

SEARCHERS, THE (1956) -- I know it's a classic, but I'm just not a John Wayne fan.

ALL ABOUT EVE (1950) -- This movie has been sitting on my shelf for years.

DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944) -- There's no excuse for my not having seen this, considering how much I enjoy Billy Wilder's movies.

BONNIE AND CLYDE (1967) -- I've wanted to see this for a long long time.

SHANE (1953) -- I was supposed to watch this as reference for a movie I shot, so I just told them I had.  Embarrassing!

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, Shane is on my list somewhere. And so was The Searchers until recently. That surprised me in the way it felt more conventional than I thought it would, but it also has some wonderful subtext once you think about it and see it a second time. With the John Wayne love expressed on another DIF board, that would be an interesting DIF to hear.

All About Eve was funny for me, because I was totally on the wrong side as everyone else. I was just like, "Fuck you, Bette Davis, you bitch" the whole time.

Going off the AFI list...

1) Raging Bull
2) High Noon
3) Rebel Without A Cause
4) American Graffitti (never all the way through)
5) Easy RIder

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"The list is long, but distinguished"
                                   - Goose

1) Jaws
2) Animal House
3) Blues Brothers
4) It's a Wonderful Life
5) Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Titanic was on my list by choice, however, i caught it on a flight back from London once.  I'm guessing Airport '77 wasn't available

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Couldn't really think of any until:

1) Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LOL. Eddie and Shackman are racists. (see OP) tongue

@Shackman & TrowaGP02a: See Breakin' 2 while listening to Gymkommentary's commentary. It's fantastic.

@Teague: I notice you've posted here but not given your list. It must be hilariously embarrassing. I'm guessing it includes Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Interested in Brian and Kyle's lists too. I bet Brian's includes The Muppet Movie. And Kyle's list includes They Live.

@everyone else: I'm having a little trouble believing that you people are having embarrassed conversations like, "Oh, you guys are talking about Battleship Potemkin/Cache/Giant again? Don't spoil it for me! I still haven't caught up with that one." Are you sure you've all seen ET, Reservoir Dogs, and Blazing Saddles?

Yes, I've seen ET, Reservoir Dogs and Blazing Saddles … but I confess that I didn't love any of them.

I have never, however, seen an episode of "Seinfeld."

Does that count as embarrassing?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seinfeld might be the greatest sitcom ever made.  The only show that even rivals it is The Cosby Show.

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would agree that Seinfeld is probably one of my favorite "things" ever. Definitly needs a watch, I would start with "The Bet". Also that coffee shop (not actually called Monks) ... nooot so great.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Interested in Brian and Kyle's lists too. I bet Brian's includes The Muppet Movie.

Oh no, The Muppet Movie is a pillar of childhood. I LOVED it as a kid, watched it many times. "Ah, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

Honestly, looking at the other examples in this thread, there isn't much that comes to mind. Though I do have one friend that is always mentioning movies as references for our filmmaking conversations and they always manage to be movies I've never even heard of, much less seen.

I guess, as much as I'm becoming a fag for everything Hitchcock lately, it's embarrassing that I've seen as little of his stuff as I have.

Also, I've never seen The Goonies.

TrowaGP02a wrote:

I would agree that Seinfeld is probably one of my favorite "things" ever. Definitly needs a watch, I would start with "The Bet". Also that coffee shop (not actually called Monks) ... nooot so great.

It's called "Tom's Restaurant", and it was pretty decent as a greasy spoon diner before Seinfeld came along.  Then they got all fancy.  The last time I went in there was probably about 10 years ago for a drunken meal after a night out.

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BrianFinifter wrote:

I guess, as much as I'm becoming a fag for everything Hitchcock lately, it's embarrassing that I've seen as little of his stuff as I have.

Also, I've never seen The Goonies.

Okay, see? That's what I'm talking about. This isn't an AFI dick-measuring contest. It's about confessing to the holes in your film knowledge that makes you not get cultural references in ordinary conversation or The Simpsons.

Other examples for me: I've never seen 101 Dalmatians—cartoon or live—American Pie, or The Exorcist. Actually, The Exorcist should probably be higher than Clerks on my list.

The Exorcist is probably one of … hmm … right now I can think of five genuinely scary movies I've ever seen in my life. Like not "boo" and not "woah creepy" but movies that genuinely made me feel fear.

Thumbs up Thumbs down