Re: How will you be seeing 'The Hobbit'? In 3D? IMAX? 48fps? Digital? 4K?

Trey wrote:

Well, I saw Hobbit a different way - on DVD, just now.   So I have no comment on HFR vs 24p, etc.   

But I will say that the first half was really worrisome - in fact I paused it at one point to do the dishes, which pretty much sums up my feelings about it.   But once they got to Rivendell things picked up, and everything after that was fun.

So it's not "Lord of the Rings: Episode One", it's nowhere near that bad or disappointing (for that first hour I thought it might be).   But someday I'd like to see a Special Edition with about 40 minutes cut out.  smile

It's hard for film-makers isn't it. If there's no talking, and just 'action', that can get boring too. I guess both exposition and action depend on how well they're written and directed. The dwarves finally make it out of the mines after an interminable action sequence and then immediately the Orcs begin chasing them for another action fight sequence before Deus Ex Airways save the day.

My favourite fight sequence is where the dwarves just swat off dozens of goblins with a giant stick. Saves time having to do the usual 'two parries and a thrust' for each individual one which gets dull real fast.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just saw it in 2D. I absolutely LOVED it. I really didn't know what to feel about it Thursday night, but seeing it in 2D made a massive difference. It's amazing what dropping a dimension does for the movie. I've never been a fan of 3D, but I wanted to give The Hobbit a chance. I'm now officially in Christopher Nolan's camp. 3D sucks. It's more immersive, yet somehow pulls you out of the story. Maybe some day they'll come up with a better way to do it, but for now, I'll stick to 2D when I can.

Of course the movie wasn't perfect, but now I'm really excited to see the next two.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just got back from seeing this and I really enjoyed it - I'd argue that if you were ambivalent or apathetic about LOTR then you're likely to feel the same with this one, but if you loved the extended editions then this is gold. There were some moments where I was truely awed and others still that completely surprised me.

It's not perfect, there's a song/dance routine that seems a bit out of place and there's a little too much CGI in there - orcs and goblins especially. WETA brought some superb prosthetics and make-up work to the table last time around, but here I'd say they dropped the ball.

And because CGI is being used so much more, characters perform way too much of the acrobatic heroics that Legolas was given in LOTR, which most of the time look ridiculous or fake. There's a sequence that reminded me of the Tintin movie, so improbable and fast is this chase that it becomes a cartoon (tone wise), at which point the danger of the scene becomes undermined.

Finally, geography. It's piss poor in this one. I don't mean Middle Earth, I mean the geography of the scene. This is one of the criticisms I had of LOTR as well, where either parts of a location don't flow or match well or the relationship from one part to the other isn't clear. There's one particular scene where it gets rather maddening.

All that said, those hours whizzed by and I didn't want it to finish. I think that's one of the greatest compliments you can give a film.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Just got back from seeing this and I really enjoyed it - I'd argue that if you were ambivalent or apathetic about LOTR then you're likely to feel the same with this one, but if you loved the extended editions then this is gold. There were some moments where I was truely awed and others still that completely surprised me.

It's not perfect, there's a song/dance routine that seems a bit out of place and there's a little too much CGI in there - orcs and goblins especially. WETA brought some superb prosthetics and make-up work to the table last time around, but here I'd say they dropped the ball.

And because CGI is being used so much more, characters perform way too much of the acrobatic heroics that Legolas was given in LOTR, which most of the time look ridiculous or fake. There's a sequence that reminded me of the Tintin movie, so improbable and fast is this chase that it becomes a cartoon (tone wise), at which point the danger of the scene becomes undermined.

Finally, geography. It's piss poor in this one. I don't mean Middle Earth, I mean the geography of the scene. This is one of the criticisms I had of LOTR as well, where either parts of a location don't flow or match well or the relationship from one part to the other isn't clear. There's one particular scene where it gets rather maddening.

All that said, those hours whizzed by and I didn't want it to finish. I think that's one of the greatest compliments you can give a film.

You'll have to elaborate what you mean by geographical mismatch. I always thought they did a good job in LOTR e.g. walking left (west) to right (east) and having the right mountains/rivers where they should be (knowing the map well).

Agree about the overuse of CG in creating unrealistic stunts. Poor stuntmen must be fuming - they're going to lose work.

Also, no movie generated from scratch would have 15 main characters. I'm surprised they didn't bump off a few of less well known dwarves to demonstrate vulnerability. Maybe one or two get eaten by the trolls, an Orc raiding party knocks off another couple, and they lose a few in the mines, and so on until it becomes a more manageable number.

After seeing it in 48fps 3D theatrical, I'm seeing it again tomorrow in IMAX 3D 24fps - so it'll be a good comparison.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, I'm not sure if I want a sword that glows blue in the presence of Orcs when it's going to give my location away in the dark. I'd be asking the Elvish Appstore for a refund on that spell.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You'll have to elaborate what you mean by geographical mismatch. I always thought they did a good job in LOTR e.g. walking left (west) to right (east) and having the right mountains/rivers where they should be (knowing the map well).

It's the geography of the scene rather than of the literal geography; the most obvious example in FOTR was when Aragorn crashes into Lurtz and they have their little battle, which takes place in a totally different part of the forest than where Boromir is - they just rolled a few feet away but Boromir etc. are nowhere to be seen in all the wide shots. It's this way because they did film the scene in a different part of the forest. I always seem to notice things like that, and sadly I noticed it again for the Hobbit.

Similarly, it wasn't very clear where certain characters are in a scene in relation to other characters, or how one cavern was linked to another. I had this complaint whilst watching Helm's Deep in TTT, where it's never made clear how the staircase from the Deeping Wall connects to the Hornburg, it sort of looks like it goes around the back. One moment Aragorn's running up it being chased by uruks and the next he's on the main battlements with Theoden. There's apparently this whole 'front' of the battle that's completely omitted. As for the Hobbit, at one point, one of the dwarves is clearly separated but then magically appears with the others later on. The most egregrious example of poor 'mis en scene' was the warg chase. The criss-crossing of the two groups was maddeningly vague and didn't make any sense at all. 

Often, all it needs is a good master to show what's happening, but so too do we need to return to that master after numerous switch arounds and movements in close ups have taken place. I've found PJ's presentation to be a bit muddled on these adaptations. It's not so much that he's a bad story-teller, but that he probably just lacks the required shot to complete the scene's flow in the editing room - or he's got a bad editor who's taken them out.

Addendum to add - and making sense of what's happening is made extra hard in the Hobbit due to the sheer amount of crap that's happening on the screen at any one time. Someone over there needed to tell Peter Jackson to take it down a notch. One goddamn staircase moving precariously and 3-4 goblin archers was enough to make a great sequence. Here, however, we have what looks like several hundred goblins and all manner of objects falling apart... and it's too much.

Last edited by redxavier (2012-12-16 18:29:40)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm reserving a full review until I see it again in 48 fps (the way it was meant to be seen) but I think I liked it. I was bored for the first half, to be honest, but once we see Radagast's encounter with the Necromancer, the movie started to engage me. Too bad that subplot doesn't pay off. I assume they're saving it for part 2.

Also, I loved seeing Benedict Cumberbatch's name in the credits. Wasn't he great as the Necromancer's groan in that one scene?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I actually really disagree RedXavier. Especially with the Helm's Deep battle, I always hold that up as a gold-standard of battle editing and geography. Considering how much crap is going on, I almost always have a clear idea of where all the main characters are, what the flow of battle is, where the enemies are, etc.

Most movies with big battles really fuck this kind of thing up, see something like the 13th Warrior, which has major continuity and geography issues, or Gladiator.

In fact, the only real example that I can think of off the top of my head that did it equally well is the end battle of Saving Private Ryan, where we get a clear picture of the layout of the town, what the fall-back points are, and have a good idea of where the different squad-members are as the nazis are rolling in.

Last edited by bullet3 (2012-12-16 20:33:45)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw this movie and...
I feel bad for it. I mean, I think it is fun, adventuresome, interesting pace and some unexpected parts for me. Thorin's quip about "Out of the frying pan..." seems to sum up the film pretty well. Warning spoilers ahead:

Show
Gandalf's disappearing and reappearing didn't bug me as much as maybe it should but I liked had it was handled with regarded to the drawves noticing it. The Necomancer and the White Council showing the morgul blade certainly got me interested.

The film suffers a bit because LOTR took the bar and threw it to the moon and said, "Top that." But, "The Hobbit," as a book, doesn't reach in the same way that LOTR does and people expect it to do so. But they really should be treated as two different journeys in to the same world. LOTR is the grand epic, evil vs good and the fate of the world hanging in the balance. Those are the stakes.

In the Hobbit, the stakes are not so hi as the whole world, and so, takes a different take. It is far more fun, with some peril thrown in, but there is only hints of the darker danger behind some of the events.

So, while it lacks the epic feel that some may expect, I think the different view of the world is far more engaging and worth seeing.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just saw it and liked it a lot. I think they fuckin nailed the Riddles in the Dark sequence.

And I also don't have any major complaints. I'm just happy to see another adventure in Middle Earth.

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I actually really disagree RedXavier. Especially with the Helm's Deep battle, I always hold that up as a gold-standard of battle editing and geography. Considering how much crap is going on, I almost always have a clear idea of where all the main characters are, what the flow of battle is, where the enemies are, etc.

Oh, it works very well, right up to the point where Aragorn runs away from the wall, and then it falls apart at the end. I hate the shot of everyone running away and the uruks breaking through, for instance, since it essentially shows that Theoden killed almost all of his army by making that decision. A decision that didn't look that justified at that particular point in time.

The best argument I can think of to support my criticism of its ending is that the fate of the elves remains unclear. There are clearly a few that make it up the stairs and that are fighting inside the Hornburg. But none are shown later. Then there's also the aforementioned back route - I think it's pretty important since our heroes and the elven reinforcements are defending the Deeping Wall. As the entrance from the wall to the Hornburg isn't shown later, I come away wondering why the wall needed to be defended by our principals? There appears to be no consequence for losing the wall.

Had they shown that the gate wasn't the only attack point and that there was another major breach, that thousands of orcs were pouring through the back route up from the Deeping Wall, i.e., more than coming through the gate, then the desperate nature of the situation would have made Theoden's retreating action make sense and given the sacrifice of the elves more meaning.

This doesn't make the battle shit, it's just my complaint about its depiction.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just came back from IMAX 24fps (after first seeing it elsewhere at 48fps) and there's a world of difference with the panning shots. The sequences where (1) Randagast leads the orcs away, and (2) the breaking out of the mines escape action sequence are MUCH clearer at 48fps. Frenetic action in 24fps 3D is blurry.

Spoilers:
The humour is just as flat in both. The combination of Martin Freeman's understated (even bland) performance combined with the camera lingering on him doesn't work. Four examples: (1) the fainting scene needs to shortened - it's not funny, (2) the scene where Bilbo changes his mind in the morning about joining the adventure is done without any emotion,  (3) the reaction to 'if we win we eats it?' is too long (3) and the scene where Bilbo pulls the sword out of the dead warg and stares expressionless (forever) at the charging wargs. All four scenes need a trim or better take. They could have almost cast Sam Worthington. Perhaps blandness works better for international box office - as its not culturally specific.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree with you on the fainting and the mind changing, but I liked the timing of the 'If we win we eats it whole' reaction.

I thought Freeman was good, I think he just wasn't given a whole lot of acting to do.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wrote this for Facebook, I'll repost it here.

I just got out of The Hobbit in 48 fps. I HATED HATED HATED it. Totally distracting, tacky, and unnecessary. There's nothing this format offers that IMAX doesn't already provide, and better. It is heinous to behold, an embarrassment to cinema. I had to walk into another screening afterwards for a few minutes just to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. An hour in I contemplated leaving altogether. It was a horrendous experience. It was like I was watching it on TV. It actually made me tune out of the movie, like I could go on Facebook and just let it play in the background. HFR 3D is an interesting idea, but in execution it is a complete and total failure. Don't waste your time or your money.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've seen the film now three times: HFR 3D, 2D, then IMAX 3D. I hugely preferred the HFR 3D. In fact, I was annoyed with the IMAX presentation for being so blurry, and I certainly had new hatred for the conversion on things like the Star Trek preview and the MoS trailer.

The film in 2D is fine, looks just like LotR.

I'm completely sold on HFR, and this from a guy who wasn't going to see it in HFR at all (I got invited to an advance screening). The only reason to go to an IMAX screening instead of HFR would be the quality of the sound, so IMAX HFR is probably  the way to go.

I can't wait until more films are made this way. I hope the ridiculous anti-HFR backlash isn't going to keep the Star Wars sequels from being shot in the format. It really is the way to go if you want to do 3D.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

It really is the way to go if you want to do 3D.

We don't.

Next!  tongue

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I honestly don't see how anyone looks at HFR and thinks anything other than, "This is shit." Yes, the resolution is higher, but it just looks...wrong! Completely wrong.

I saw it in IMAX 3D first, and like I said, there's nothing that HFR does that IMAX doesn't do better.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2012-12-18 01:49:09)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There you go. We're had the full gamut of reactions to HFR on DIF - from vehemently against to 'meh' to 'road to Damascus conversion'

The box office is going to be huge on this movie as all of us film nerds will be paying double or triple to see a movie that probably doesn't deserve multiple viewing on its own merits.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I honestly don't see how anyone looks at HFR and thinks anything other than, "This is shit." Yes, the resolution is higher, but it just looks...wrong! Completely wrong.

I saw it in IMAX 3D first, and like I said, there's nothing that HFR does that IMAX doesn't do better.

I disagree - the action scenes were better in the HFR. The dialogue & landscape scenes were probably better in the IMAX 24fps.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The action scenes were the parts that I least hated the HFR. But let's be honest, there aren't really all that many of those. This is a pretty talky movie, to the point that Jackson inserts big epic battles for really no reason. Did we really need that Azog flashback? No. That's something that should have gone in an extended edition.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

The action scenes were the parts that I least hated the HFR. But let's be honest, there aren't really all that many of those. This is a pretty talky movie, to the point that Jackson inserts big epic battles for really no reason. Did we really need that Azog flashback? No. That's something that should have gone in an extended edition.

Having only seen it once and in one format, I cannot comment on the resolution debate. However, I found Azog to be an interesting addition to the film, becoming more of the antagonist than Smaug or the Necromancer, both of whom are just fears rather than actual threats. People have already complained that "Hobbit" doesn't feel like LOTR and I think that the difference lies in the stakes, which are more personal and close than the epic threat to the world.
Azog was a great villian, IMHO, to provide a more immediate threat that was pursing them and not just episodic, like the goblins or trolls.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I mean, I liked Azog as a character and as a foe for Thorin and the gang, I guess. I hated the CGI on him, though. His skin was too smooth, so it looked like there wasn't much detail on him. Made him look like a video game character.

I guess Azog is like the Saruman of this franchise. But is he enough of a presence to sustain it? Maybe the Necromancer will take some of that in Part II.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think I'm gonna start work on "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Edit" as soon as I can, if Mike J Nichols doesn't get there first.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

I think I'm gonna start work on "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Edit" as soon as I can, if Mike J Nichols doesn't get there first.

If there ever was a movie that exemplified "Cut Act One", this is it.   The "Unexpected Journey" doesn't even begin until 41 minutes into the flick.   Good lord.

After repeat viewings I will admit the movie's growing on me - but two dwarf musical numbers is still two too many, and Radagast better become important in movies 2 and/or 3 or I'm gonna hate him even more than I do now.

Trey wrote:

Radagast better become important in movies 2 and/or 3 or I'm gonna hate him even more than I do now.

Radagast has quite a journey to go through for the next two films. If they even do it a fraction of what's possible, you'll be very happy he was in the first one.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down