Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Princess of Mars did it first many decades ago, John Carter will probably do fine...

Anyway, it's not the design of the chamber itself that I have any sort of problem with, it's the apparent glass situation they've got going on. I can't speak to TNG or DS9 or any of the others, but in TOS and the movies with that crew it was always a forcefield keeping them in their stylish little rooms.

If that's the biggest complaint I have about the movie, I'll be the happiest son of a bitch to ever use a disrespectful term to describe his mother. I'm just suffering glass prison fatigue after 2012.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

The only thing that disappointed me about that trailer was that it featured yet another use of the Inception BRMMMMMMMMMMM. It's in like every trailer nowadays. So boring.

Hey Doc,
I had a thought. Maybe its supposed to be some kind of dissonant sound that fills the audience with a sense of danger or dread. I mean, it is a very dissonant sound.

bullet3 wrote:

http://www.superherohype.com/images/stories/2012/December/stid625.jpg

Goddamnit, it looks like they really might be doing the "villain gets captured as part of his master plan" facepalm

You know, they could be rehashing the Enterprise decon chamber:
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/quiz/30 … 00_281.jpg
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Decontamination_chamber

Then, Benny is diagnosed with a strange disease that makes him completely crazy, he breaks out of quarantine and begins infecting the crew until they are all zombies (or at least the Red Shirts are), save for Kirk, Spock, Bones and Uhura, who are forced to crash the ship in to the oceans because zombies can't swim wink

Edit: Fixed links and also
Red Shirt Zombies!
http://distilleryimage2.instagram.com/2a3e1d8ee25311e1a62d1231380fd04a_7.jpg

Last edited by fireproof78 (2012-12-11 06:38:18)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's funny how Ridley Scott figured out the dissonant sound movie trailer trick in 1979, and then the technique basically goes un-used until everyone re-discovered it 30 years later

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, so good news. According to a journalist who was shown that scene while visiting Bad Robot, that picture of Cumberbatch in the brig does NOT involve him getting caught as part of his plan. So you don't have to worry about that.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

C-Spin wrote:

What's with the glass prisons lately?

That's transparent aluminum.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

That made me smile.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

New trailer-

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw the 9 minute Prologue today in front of The Hobbit IMAX, and the lens flares are still there on the bridge. Kirk does an Indiana Jones getting chased by natives with spears.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw the 9 minute Prologue today in front of The Hobbit IMAX, and the lens flares are still there on the bridge. Kirk does an Indiana Jones getting chased by natives with spears.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I was completely unenthused by the preview.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

I'm rather amused by the skepticism about this film. It seems that most people are in a wait and see mode than an excited mode.

I get that the first film was not everyone's cup of Earl Grey, but I mean, wow...not sure what to make of it all.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With the disappointment that we've seen from big hype movies like Prometheus and The Hobbit, maybe "wait and see" mode will be good for this film in the long run.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
Gregory Harbin wrote:

I'm rather amused by the skepticism about this film. It seems that most people are in a wait and see mode than an excited mode.

I get that the first film was not everyone's cup of Earl Grey, but I mean, wow...not sure what to make of it all.

I'm sympathetic to the 'This is not what Star Trek is supposed to be' critique. (At least some) ideas and science, not just running, punch ups, and 'splosions. The reboot just reverts to the standard schlock template.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't see the prologue, but I saw the 3D trailer in front of The Hobbit and I was surprised how bad the 3D looked. I thought conversions were better than that by now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Allison wrote:

With the disappointment that we've seen from big hype movies like Prometheus and The Hobbit, maybe "wait and see" mode will be good for this film in the long run.

Maybe
(Great, now I'm skeptical)

fireproof78 wrote:
Gregory Harbin wrote:

I'm sympathetic to the 'This is not what Star Trek is supposed to be' critique. (At least some) ideas and science, not just running, punch ups, and 'splosions. The reboot just reverts to the standard schlock template.

Someday I will post my full review and analysis but the new Trek never struck me as the same schlock. But, that is me, and I take a different look at a lot of things. I pay attention to weird details that people don't but and things like that ( a quirky for instance was I always liked R5-D4 from Star Wars more than R2-D2).
But, I think there is a lot more depth to Star Trek (2009) and will be more depth to Into Darkness that is often given credit for.

Last edited by fireproof78 (2012-12-22 01:23:15)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I actually posted my review in the review section, and hope to cover several of the themes that carry over in to the sequel.
*shameless self promotion*

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Necroing this thread a little to let people know that the prequel comic to this movie will has been released.
The authors conducted an interview with Startrek.com
http://www.startrek.com/article/orci-jo … o-darkness

I know much grief was given to the first movie for having a prequel and expecting people to read that before watching the movie. So, while there are mixed feelings, I at least want people to be aware.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Really didn't know what to make of CTD #1. Didn't seem to have much to do with either the ongoing comic or the trailers we've been seeing. The 'surprise' at the end really threw me for a loop. Looking forward to next month's issue to get an idea of what's happening.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

Really didn't know what to make of CTD #1. Didn't seem to have much to do with either the ongoing comic or the trailers we've been seeing. The 'surprise' at the end really threw me for a loop. Looking forward to next month's issue to get an idea of what's happening.

I am with you, Greg. I just found it at a book store and read through it. It had a very different feel than the other, "Continuing Adventure" comics that have been coming out recently. Not sure how all the pieces are going to fit together in this one.

I haven't look recently but will check it out after this post-is your podcast going to discuss the new comics?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like how the comic artist drew in some lens flares  lol

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Drew Struzan draws a great lens flare.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We must be consistent with our lens flares smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A little bit of an interesting tidbit at an awards show:

For those perhaps unfamiliar, there has been much of a snit of Benedict playing Khan, thus rehashing Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan and bringing back a classic villain. However, Alice Eve flatly says "He's not Khan."
Make of it what you will, Trek fans, but I am getting excited again. It is an amazing feat that Abrams has managed to keep a lid on who the villain is despite the Internet age.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think it's been clear for a long time, ever since Cumberbatch was cast, that he's not playing Khan. To my mind, the speculation and rumours have been going back and forth over whether he's playing the role of Gary Mitchell (I say yes).

The problem here has been that they simultaneously want to go off and do their own thing but also want to borrow great elements from Star Trek lore, elements that most fans are aware of. So you say Khan and everyone knows, essentially, what's going to happen in the story, and you say Gary Mitchell, and everyone knows what's going to happen. When you re-tell old stories, much of the surprise is taken away, and I don't think the question 'how would this alternate reality Kirk take care of Khan?' is interesting enough for a remake.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think he is Gary Mitchell. The current IDW comics are canon, according to Roberto Orci, and the Mitchell story has already happened. The comics bridge the gap between the films, so if it is true, Cumberbatch is playing someone else. Either way, we'll find out soon enough. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gary Mitchell would work as a movie and they could call it 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' which would be hip in a 'The Dark Knight' sense

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog