Re: How will you be seeing 'The Hobbit'? In 3D? IMAX? 48fps? Digital? 4K?

Right, I'm tuning out of this thread now. Too many damn spoilers!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Another question (spoilers):

Why do both Thorin and Gandalf agree that the Rivendell elves will try to stop the quest (and so they must lie about it e.g. academic interest only) and then when Elrond finds out, he's not that bothered.

Why does Balin attempt to stop Thorin handing the map to Elrond, and then as soon as the runes are deciphered he blurts out the actual mission objective  right in front of Elrond?

Show
1. Thorin distrusts the Elves with a vengeance (one that will play out more later on) and Gandalf is not willing to attempt to bridge that gap. He goes along with Thorin's opinion, knowing that, in the end, the Dwarves will need the Elves help. So, he plays along, doing the typical Gandalf thing of having
multiple games at play.
2. Why not? He may have realized that Elrond was more help that Thorin led him to believe. Part of this movie is the fact that Thorin is so blinded by his prejudices that sometimes makes foolish or risky decisions. Balin has shown himself to be wise Dwarf, allowing his age to slow his impulsivity than the younger, passionate Thorin. I think his blurting was just a passionate realization that getting home was possible and so he reached for help

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So we have our entire gang of heroes, trapped in the underground lair of a race of beings known for being awesome at toture devices, calling out for thier best and most horrible torture devices to be brought out and used on our heroes.

Yes, I would have liked a MA or R rating too, for all these movies, a chilling dark tone with real stakes. Same with TDKR. The economics is such that if the budget is over $100M, then it's gotta be PG13 these days. There were exceptions in the 80s and 90s (e.g.  Starship Troopers) but not so much now.

See, I will honestly never understand this and someone please help me to understand it. Why do things to have this chilling, dark, and R rating to have weight? What is it about torture devices that lend so much more to the story?
Maybe I'm too soft (I'll admit to that) but this movie is not the same as LOTR. The world is not at stake, evil is not about to unleash across Middle Earth in the same way Sauron was the threat in LOTR. The Hobbit is a lighter journey-why does it have have the same dark tones as LOTR?

(Apologies for spelling errors- had an 8 month old trying to help)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I just saw The Hobbit in 3D HFR. I have some thoughts, and I haven't seen the particular thoughts I have anywhere else so far, so perhaps they're even interesting.

No, I didn't hate it. Yes, I got a headache. More on those things in a minute.

Here's something that intrgued me: very early on, I noticed that (framerate shock aside) I was doing alright with it, but every now and then, a shot would happen where NOPE NOPE NOPE. A few minutes later, I thought I had noticed a trend. I had a theory. A half an hour later, I had confirmed it, and it held true for the rest of the movie.

It's not that HFR "doesn't work," for me. It's not even that HFR "doesn't work in action scenes." It's a very specific distinction. HFR doesn't work when panning. The grand Z-axis shots, or the calmer dolly shots, were fine. A little jarring for "never seen that before" reasons, but not fundamentally offensive to my brain. But panning, especially quick panning, is dizzying and awful.

And I think I even know why.

HFR does do one thing, and there doesn't seem to be much argument about it: it does make everything feel more grounded in reality. Most people hate it and reject it out of hand as being uncinematic, some people are into it, but at least we can all agree that it is much closer to the experience of being there. (Being there, in this case, means being on a set. Many have complained.)

And here's the thing: your brain does not pan. Your brain can walk forward in the world (by, uh, walking) and your brain can crane up (climbing stairs), but your brain has never in your life "panned." When sweeping your eyes across a vista, you don't - you can't - move your eyes at a constant rate across it and take in details as you smoothly wipe past. Your eyes dart across the panorama, microsaccading in little jolts, separating it from what would be a pan by condensing it into what your brain registers as still frames along the way.

This isn't such a problem at 24, because it's a bit... well, strobe-y. It may make you feel a touch queasy, but it's nothing we're not all used to by now. But in HFR, it's like spinning in a chair. (With your eyes glued perfectly forward.) It's a fundamentally wrong thing that your brain can't deal with. And it's kind of revolting.

And boy oh boy, does this effect ever worsen when the lenses get longer. The more zoomed in, the flatter the shot, ugh. You're just compounding it. Now you're spinning on a chair and looking through a toilet paper roll.

Many folks hate all of it, I don't. I actually rather liked large swaths of this framerate. Which should carry some weight here: I'm officially an intrigued apologist. I'm not dismissing anything, much less dismissing it out of hand, so take my full meaning: panning does not fucking work. Some folks might hate all of it, some folks might be okay with it, but regardless... no. No on the panning, guys.

When not panning, and not being too frenetic*, I actually kinda liked it. Eventually even stopped noticing it for minutes on end. (Especially in the giant rock monster fight. Possibly because of the artificial slow-mo feeling evoked by them being so huge.) I didn't have problems with the "lighting," as some have, or feeling like I was on the set. I felt like I was in the world, and a couple of times a setting was a bit too shabby for the format, but mostly it felt... like a play. Sort of. Didn't bug me.

However. And here's our asterisk.

* PETER YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A FUCKING DICK ABOUT IT AND FILL THE FIRST TEN MINUTES WITH NOTHING BUT BRAIN-MELTING ZOOMED-IN SWEEPING CAMERA MOVES.

Good god. Keep it on a tripod for a while, shit. It's an oft-repeated claim that the "ugh" feeling wears off a bit after the first ten minutes - I'm rather convinced it's not that you get used to it in ten minutes, I think it's just that about ten minutes in, the prologue ends, and everything fucking calms down for a second. Seriously. It's almost obnoxious the way the first ten minutes go. I guess it's subjective, and most of the world just subjectively disagrees with Pete, because a choice like that might otherwise be called "unflinching" or "confident" on his part. In this case, it's borderline... like I said. Obnoxious. Give us a second, bro.

And that leads me to my final point. It takes a Cameron to use the Hollywood machine as his personal RnD department and figure out stereo filmmaking, and it takes a Peter Jackson to flex nuts and make a thousand theaters release in an almost unprecedented format...

...but...

...as much as Peter Jackson was the nigh-perfect choice for LOTR (and even The Hobbit!), and as much as he is personally interested in high framerate filmmaking, Peter Jackson is not the right filmmaker to introduce it to the world. He's too prone to weirdo giant camera moves and high-speed rakethroughs of giant setpieces. He's too loud, in terms of blocking. Half of LOTR, and half of The Hobbit, are shots like that bit in The Matrix Reloaded where the camera soars through the cave in Zion over the rave. It's pretty much the same thing, in fact... with the notable (and un-ignorable) exception that while that camera move is happening, he'll whip pan left or some shit.

You're killing us, Pete.

So no. I don't hate HFR. I could see it working especially well for non-narrative formats (Cirque du Soleil, documentaries, concerts, etc.) and potentially even catching on for tripod movies. (Any tripod movie. Any movie where they use a goddamned tripod.) But for the above reasons, it may be quite a while before people natively accept it for any form of media wherein the camera is zoomed in and on a helicopter.

Oh, and I liked the movie. Sure it felt fluffy, but no more fluffy than the extended editions. The thing that was the most distracting was the fat dwarf, to be honest, and the spectrum of nose-sizes on display.

One last bit, and spoilers to follow.

The complaint that the fridge is nuked by all these elaborate terror-escape scenes wherein nobody dies interests me. I agree - but I think the fact that it's a problem rests entirely upon the choice to make the novel into three movies. It works both ways: on one hand, we're now a third of the way through the book - presumably before any characters who WILL eventually die have died - and, additionally, needing to stretch out the movie over such a thin slice of book requires lengthening battle scenes, thereby making them seem all the more unlikely to be survivable. Weird.

Anyway, I enjoyed the flick.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

It's an interesting theory about panning being the crux of the issue for 3DHFR.

On a more "creative" level, the way I've put it -- and I'm basing this off my experience with higher frame-rates only, not 3DHFR directly though it seems applicable, because I haven't seen Hobbit yet -- is that the fluidity and "realness" of it ends up putting the film into a Theater-Film hyrbid zone...it's basically a new medium.

This has to be accounted for in all aspects of the production to work properly -- from the writing to the directing to the cinematography to the editing room. You can't just change the formatting on a script and put on a play with it. You can't merely film a play from multiple angles, throw in some SFX, and make a great movie. They are simply different mediums and need to be treated differently.

I feel like that's the case with 3DHFR. Panning, as a technical aspect, would certainly fall into that category, as you are correct that it's not something our eyes/mind do in real life.

I actually think older movies would be better "designed" for 3DHDR. Before cameras had much mobility -- blocking and movement within the frame were vastly more important and given more attention. Metropolis would be amazing, especially the sections with loads of extras...it would feel like an epic play that could simply never be performed in real life.

Metropolis. City Lights. Nosferatu. Citizen Kane. Watch some clips and see how the scenes could be seen as theater-ish. Likely because filmmakers were facing a combination of film being a new medium and cameras being huge/heavy and having limited movement capabilities. The most modern examples I can think of...Clerks I think would work well. Moon, at least mostly. Again, films that were written/designed with a bit more of theater "feel" to them.

That's not to say grand action-y movies CAN'T work. I just think it's not just a new brand of film, it's a new medium entirely...and it's going to take a bit before writers/filmmakers get a handle on that medium. Maybe in time they'll design action sequences to be more "within the frame", sticking to cuts and zooms, keeping pans for more intimate scenes. Maybe use a bit of Japanese Kung-Fu movie style, where they tend to stay wide in fight scenes rather than Bourne style close-up & cuts.

3DHFR seems like watching a play through a window. Until they take that into account, I think it'll continue to polarize people.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Ha! Polarize! 3D!

*sits back down*

Very cool post. Cool ideas.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What about the idea of filming in multiple frame rates? Record some shots like pans in 24, and others in 48. Then project it in 48.

Or would switching back and forth make things even worse? I'd be interested to see how it would look.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think you'd definitely notice that.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just saw The Hobbit a couple of days ago in IMAX 3D HFR.  I really didn't have that much of a problem with it in that format, but as I haven't seen it in any other format, I really have no comparison.  My main complaints are those that have already been mentioned like the too long fight scenes and Gandalf's appearing/reappearing to save the day.  Overall, though I really enjoyed the movie.  I actually loved both songs and thought they fit in very well.  I also loved the casting for all the characters.  I first saw Richard Armitage as Guy of Gisborne on the BBC series Robin Hood, and my appreciation for his acting has only grown, especially after seeing him as Thorin in The Hobbit.  I have seen critiques of him as not being regal enough, but I disagree.  I thought he was very regal when it was called for.  And of course all the returning characters from LOTR.  I guess I can only agree with previous comments that despite the problems, I didn't want the movie to end.  I am looking forward to seeing how the next two movies go.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Yep, I'm going to snap at that bait - the book doesn't need fixing. The problems of the movie have little to nothing to do with the book, i.e., the beats of the story,

Red we're actually on the same page when it comes to this. I think I just didn't really convey what I meant properly. I don't think that the book (meaning the plot and the story and what actually happens) needs to be fixed, in fact I said almost as much,

BDA wrote:

you look at the actual bare bones plot points and story of the Hobbit, and you look at it through the eyes of what the Universe of Middle Earth is actually like (Namely through the eyes of the Lord of The Rings), and you begin to realize just how FUCKING terrifying everything that's happening is.

But what needed to be fixed was the tone of the book, the fact that the narrator had this nostalgic,gaussian blurred bokeh sense of the events as he was retelling them to us. What I think needed to happen was for Jackson to strip the story of that overlaying sense of nostalgia, down to it's bare bones. And then build it back up in the actual universe of Middle Earth that has already been built, and that we know to be middle earth.

ALthough I don't agree about all the extra stuff being added being the cause of the movies failing. Honestly the necromancer stuff and everything else could have been amazing if it had taken place in the Middle Earth of The Lord of The Rings. But instead Jackson took these very scary concepts and tried to force and cram them into this weird storybookland tone, and it feels completely out of place and just...horrible.

I do agree about the crowded fights and lack of physics, but that really just ties into the fact that the entire movie has that weird storybookland overcoating to it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Nice writeup Teague. I did mention eye saccades in my rant, and you may very well be right in the "panning doesn't work" thing, tho I didn't really have my problems there, honestly.

It was much more simple than that. Things that EXPLODEDELY fell apart for me was trivial things... trivial acting things. Like Galadriel and Gandalf touching hands. It looked exactly like what it was, two normal people grabbing hands. The "magic" (to over-use an over-used word even more) was somehow gone. Coz it was like - yes - being there on set seeing two actors do a thing.

And if you've been on a set and seen that, you know that that rathed mundane and boring crap they are doing there? Well, through the magic of cinema, it becomes epic and cool. Only... no. In 3D HFR, that "magical transformation" of it into a MOVIE.... never happens. You have the same, dull, mundane, everyday feel as if you had been on set. It was kinda "so THIS is all there is to it, some guys under some lights in some dressup and makeup"?

The Soap Opera feel.

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We'll add Teague's 'HFR & Panning' concern to the existing pile of various reactions to HFR.
Comparing the IMAX 24fps and the 48fps versions, I actually prefer the smoother panning of the 48fps. There was a lot of whip panning when Radagast led the Orcs away over the rocky plains, but the 24fps was blurry in comparison.

I've never seen so many different responses to a new format - from hyper-real to hyper-fake , from nausea-inducing to 'it's the future!'

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Interesting observations about the panning. Just watching the regular 2D version, I noticed some blurring in a couple of the epic scope scenes the camera was panning across. I actually thought to myself 'ooh, I can't see anything there'. It's something I remember from LOTR - specifically the tracking shots of the Rohirrim camp where Theoden and the heroes arrived. I wonder if it's a problem that lies with the way Jackson and Lesnie shoot it?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just saw the flick for the second time.  I did 3D HFR this time.  I general didn't like it.  I'll explain why later on.  This needs some thought as I feel it affects a lot more then just the temporal.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, just to start: IMAX 3D HFR.

Faiiirly certain that's 2x2k DLP projectors.  Not sure.  Anyway, that established:

I went in fairly unhyped.  I'd seen a trailer... wait, no, I think I saw two trailers.  And I heard a lot of the hullabaloo over the HFR, and tried really hard to tune it out.  I figured I'd give PJ the benefit of the doubt.  Before the show I had kinda talked myself into thinking of it as a whole different medium; like watching a play with binoculars while seated in an articulated armchair (with inertial dampers) controlled by the director.

So, thus prepared, I purchased my giant popcorn and drink (why is the big one cheaper than the medium one that I wanted?) donned my crappy plastic glasses, and sat my butt in the chair.  Some thoughts, in roughly chronological order:

Holy ****, this new Star Trek looks ******* amazing!  Hot damn.  OK I really wanna go see that.

So Hobbiton looks overexposed?  Or like, they couldn't get enough stops out of the RED?  Which is weird, 'cause that's like, it's thing.  Stops.  Yes?  Huh.  OK.  Bilbo's close ups look like they were shot at 1k.  Like, I'm seeing aliasing.  Or maybe a trick of the light.  I guess the screen is HUGE, but none of the rest of the movie looked like that.

So by this point we're a minute in or so, and I'm like, WOW, the 3D is fantastic.  No headache, everything looks like it's in the right place, and my eyes aren't freaking out.  So HFR, you definitely win that round.

At least if nothing moves.

Teague, I didn't catch the panning/dolly difference, only that shot to shot, everything seemed incredibly inconsistent.  And not in ways I was expecting.  Only the opening with old Bilbo seemed weirdly exposed, so I figure I can throw that one out.  Off and on throughout the whole film, the action seemed to be undercranked.  And then it would go back to being normal.  It felt like watching a movie on a slow computer that was dropping frames to keep up.  And then, as quickly as it had come, the effect would totally vanish.  I'll have to go see it again and find out if that's the pans or if it was something else.

Another weird totally unexpected effect was the sound.  It was weird to see the characters as if they were right there in front of me, but the speech just coming from the center of the picture, instead of where my brain felt that the character 'ought' to be.  That effect faded as the movie went on, though I'm not entirely sure that wasn't just due to the action ramp up replacing all the dialog with grunts and shouting.

A couple of times when we were in real locations, I was really feeling the instability in the dolly.  Little bumps and quivers that normally get ironed out at 24fps were pretty annoying.  But then they put the camera on a motion control rig and onto some helicopters, and that seemed better.

Holy balls, New Zealand is beautiful.

I know they we're kinda playin' if for laughs in the trilogy (dare I call it that?) but I guess Gandalf is just totally high all the time?  And also he can talk to elves in his head?  Who apparently aren't there?

For as beautiful as NZ is, middle earth seemed really really empty.  Hobbiton had like 4 hobbits?  They didn't see anyone except for orcs until Rivendell, and when they got there no one is home.  So, middle earth felt very different from that perspective.

I wonder if PJ's gonna George Lucas LOTR and put new Bilbo into the 'finding the ring' scene.

God, elves are jerks!  How long did they have to practice that "circle the horses menacingly around strangers on the doorstep in counter-rotating concentric circles" move?

The sequence of all the powerfullest magic people in the world in the Elf gazebo is gorgeous.  Amazing.  Couldn't keep a straight face for anything that was going on in the scene, but it looked drop-dead stunning.

Props to the edit room for keeping the whole game of riddles scene.  Could have turned that into a montage.  Glad you didn't.

WHERE IS ALL THE LIGHT COMING FROM??

Several shots at night, or in caves have WAY to much light coming from nowhere.

Also, wow, Weta has been busy.  With eagles.  Also Wolves, which are freakin' scary in 3D.  Definitely not something you want to show to little kids.

Annnnnd, that's pretty much it.

Didn't mind the TV look, did mind the weird stuff that came with it.  Couldn't take much of the story seriously, but whatever, it was crazy beautiful.

BBQ, I agree with you, 3D is a new medium that's only really been taken seriously by technicians and artists for 5 years or so now, and it's gonna take a helluva lot longer than that to extend the visual language that has developed in film for the last 80 years or so into another axis.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for the thoughts - some great observations there.

Yes, the actual finding of the ring scene is totally different, and I'm surprised they didn't attempt to match it. There's no reason why Bilbo could not have crawled out of where he was hiding and found it on all fours like he did at he beginning of Fellowship. And not only was the scene different, it was played very casually in a long shot. I was expecting an overcranked close-up, with foreboding music - signifying 'THIS IS A BIG DEAL!'

The stone trolls seemed to match their position between the two movies.

But another continuity error that's now arisen is that Gandalf says to Bilbo at the beginning of Fellowship that he hasn't aged a day (the ring keeps him young) when there's a 40+ year difference between Ian Holm and Martin Freeman.

Yes, the rotunda gazebo was beautiful. How much?

And yes, the cave scenes were way overlit. We've established the moon isn't full. Nor is there any fluorescence. You would have only needed a 3 second insert to establish that. Is the bright lighting to  counter the 3D glasses... for those cinemas that can't calibrate their projectors properly?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But another continuity error that's now arisen is that Gandalf says to Bilbo at the beginning of Fellowship that he hasn't aged a day (the ring keeps him young) when there's a 40+ year difference between Ian Holm and Martin Freeman.

Gandalf wasn't saying that Bilbo hadn't aged a day since the time of The Hobbit, just that he hadn't aged a day since the last time he visited.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just to jump in and completely agree with Teague on the panning (and especially tilting). Those are the shots that don't work in HFR. I need to see it again to really nail down my thoughts on HFR, but I think it's clear that more thought needs to be paid to shots than even Jackson did here.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

Just to jump in and completely agree with Teague on the panning (and especially tilting). Those are the shots that don't work in HFR. I need to see it again to really nail down my thoughts on HFR, but I think it's clear that more thought needs to be paid to shots than even Jackson did here.

In a way, I'm actually glad he shot the films without completely taking the new medium into account. If he had filmed it differently just for 3D HFR, it might have slightly stunted the experience watching it in 2D 24p (which I preferred, mostly because I don't like 3D, not as much the frame rate).

And it's nice that the shooting style isn't so different from LOTR that it's hard to watch them together.

Of course I don't think that was Jackson's intent, but for my selfish reasons, I'm happy about it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bgii2000 wrote:

I know they we're kinda playin' if for laughs in the trilogy (dare I call it that?) but I guess Gandalf is just totally high all the time?  And also he can talk to elves in his head?  Who apparently aren't there?

Galadriel can communicate with people telepathically. It's kind of her thing. And she was there, she just pulled a Batman when she left, for whatever reason.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

And she was there, she just pulled a Batman when she left, for whatever reason.

I'll be there if you need me... except for right now *poof*

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvk2fcxZKC1qgbfe7.gif

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-12-25 01:53:00)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I finally got a chance to see this last night. In 2D 24p. Nearest HFR showing is two hours from me and while I'm interested in experiencing that...  I'm not surcharges and also a tank of gas interested. Everybody's pretty much covered my feelings on it, overlong, self-indulgent, no stakes, too much slapstick humor, cartoony action sequences, etc. I even read this thread and many reviews before hand, so I was EXPECTING ridiculous, over-the-top action, and it still surprised me with how far it was willing to go. The finale of the Goblin mountain sequence was so absurd.

It suffered a flaw that I think many prequels do; it's designed too MUCH to be a prequel, rather than simply a story that's set earlier in the timeline. If you understand the distinction I'm making. The introduction into the world of Middle-Earth isn't as strong as in LotR. Aspects of fan-service moments like the "present" day stuff with older Bilbo are going to be relatively baffling to newcomers. I just think the way it's made is prohibitive of eventual saga viewings for people who have never experienced the series before.

That being said, there was a good deal to like about it. It was a beautiful experience, for a start. And it entertains on a scene-by-scene basis for the most part, even if the pacing is less than ideal. I thought Martin Freeman was fantastic, I was rooting for him to be cast long before The Hobbit was ever officially greenlit. This is the first time my personal pick for a role has actually been cast, and I'm so glad he didn't disappoint. James Nesbitt sort of stole the show, and Cate Blanchett is a beautiful ageless demon woman. And of course everything to do with the Riddles in the Dark sequence was fabulous.

The most nonsensical thing about the movie to me, though... Why the Hell was Azog CGI? I really just don't understand what that achieved that a big, buff, bald dude in prosthetics with a digital arm replacement wouldn't have. Get Jason Momoa or somebody in there. I might have forgiven it if he and his shiny skin weren't hands down the worst CG creature in the movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh my god, thank you for giving thoughts of Jason Momoa as Azog. That would have been amazing!

And absolutely agree about him btw. Easily the worst creature. Most of the other orcs I could pretty much buy. Although the entire Goblin town sequence was just so fucking balls to the wall ridiculous I can't even remember if the render/comp was decent on them...cause I know for sure the design work sure as hell wasn't gettin it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Oh my god, thank you for giving thoughts of Jason Momoa as Azog. That would have been amazing!

And absolutely agree about him btw. Easily the worst creature. Most of the other orcs I could pretty much buy. Although the entire Goblin town sequence was just so fucking balls to the wall ridiculous I can't even remember if the render/comp was decent on them...cause I know for sure the design work sure as hell wasn't gettin it.

I thought Azog was great, and presented almost an inhuman monster in comparison to the rest of the Orcs. I might be wrong, but to me it made him more of a threat, because he lacked the almost Hausian (Harry Hausen reference) of the monsters were there is kind of a person behind them that might make us sympathetic towards them (I can think of moments in LOTR).
Azog is pure villian and I honestly never thought of him as a CG character. Not that Jason Momoa wouldn't have been amazing as a giant hulking white Orc-I agree that would have been cool. But, Azog worked for me because it made him more inhuman and threatening than the average Orc.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I could have bought into all that if he hadn't looked like a ball of playdough somebody squished a pair of marbles into for eyes and then covered in baby oil.

I'm not arguing about the character's intentions of menace or whatever, but he was easily the worst created, rendered and comped creature. There is a way to remove something's "Hausian" quality, while also making it look like a thing that actually exists and isn't so clearly a manifestation of a VFX department on acid.

EDIT:

fireproof78 wrote:

...and I honestly never thought of him as a CG character.

Well I guess that's what it comes down to, because from the frame he appeared on screen I couldn't stop seeing him as a (poorly done) CG creation.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-12-27 22:37:57)

ZangrethorDigital.ca