Topic: Getting industry work in LA from overseas

I've just found out that I'd be able to get a visa that would allow me to work in the US over the summer. I was just wondering if any of you guys know some good places for me to start looking for some entry-level industry work that would be willing to take on somebody from overseas?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Getting industry work in LA from overseas

What are your interests and skills?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mainly editing in FCP and Premiere Pro and also some After Effects. But I have experience, albeit non-professional, in a range of other fields. Doing something in an edit facility would be ideal, but I'd be happy enough just grabbing coffees if I'm being honest.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well grabbing coffee is always available, and summer is always a big time for post.  If you have legit FCP skills, especially on the organizational side, you stand a good chance of finding work as a Post PA, Logger, Digitizer, or even Assistant Editor with enough digging.  If you have broadcast credits, a Junior Editor spot might even be possible. 

Craigslist is ok for some work.  I would look at Production Notices LA, realitystaff.com, mandy.com, entertainmentcareers.net, and crew-net.com.  If there is a specific company or post house you want to work at, feel free to give them a call yourself and solicit.  Worst case scenario, they say no.  Can't hurt.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Awesome, I'll check those places out. Thanks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Plus, as is the case with basically all DIF forumfolk, if you're in LA, you've gotta get in touch so you can buy us all a drink. tongue

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well this obviously didn't happen, but I'm trying again for this summer. The visa application deadline suddenly jumped forward and I just couldn't afford it, but it turns out my parents have been putting a bit aside for me every now and then since - so it's looking likely again.

I think my best bet is to just contact a number of post houses and hopefully get one that responds and if I'm lucky, actually gives me a shot. So, how would you say is the best way to 'present yourself' so to speak? Being British, I'm inclined to go the 'To whom it may concern' formal route - but I dunno!

Also, I'd also need a place to stay. So if anybody wants a roommate for the summer, I'm your man!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just ask to talk to anyone in Human Resources.   If the post house is small enough just ask to speak to a Post Coordinator or Post Supervisor.  Send me a message and I'll shoot some emails your way. Any online links to your work?

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down