Topic: What are you playing?

Pretty much the same as the reading thread, but with vidya games!

I got a Wii U for Christmas, so I've got a few new games I'm going through at the minute. I've just finished the main story part of Batman: Arkham City and I loved it. There's still plenty of extra sidequests and the Harley Quinn's Revenge thing to play through, so I don't fully have that 'end of game sadness'.

I'm probably gonna delve in to Mass Effect 3 next. Having not played the others, I don't really know what to expect - but I've heard a lot of complaints regarding the ending.

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2013-01-04 01:05:53)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: What are you playing?

Minecraft

TF2

Bastion (Although not in a while, need to start it up again hmm)

Portal 2

I'm in the midst of working out what I'll be starting up next, but the next couple months are gonna see a lot more games, across a bunch of different genres and styles, coming in.

/Not a single one of you can blame me tongue

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-01-04 01:25:29)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Minecraft. That is all.

"To Spork you listen."  - Trey Stokes

Thumbs up Thumbs down

World of Warcraft (just started raiding again), the odd Starcraft 2 match and a dash of League of Legends.

@Owen Mass Effect 2 is the bomb. I never really understood the uproar over the ending of ME3, I thought it was fine.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I try not to play games but lately I've been playing Williams Pinball Classics.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I played Dishonored i while ago but it's right now on standby. The last thing I played was The Walking dead videogame, I'm still recovering from that one.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mchpabS3zg1qa1zvj.png

Fallout: New Vegas, probably going to play The Walking Dead again after that.

All of those feels.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mikal plays a combination of Minecraft, Civilization v and Europa Universalis III.

When you have no job and nothing better do do over winter break, you learn to love what games you have.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MiltonDz wrote:

The last thing I played was The Walking dead videogame, I'm still recovering from that one.

Ditto. I am not a big gamer but as a fan of the comics, I played this and, holy shit. I have never been so emotional at a game before.

The last game I played was Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse, which took me about 4 hours to finish (not including breaks) and it was shit but I didn't pay for it, so....

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-01-04 04:50:57)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just beat Assassin's Creed 3. I have no idea what happened because I tuned out every time the story started, but sneaking around and killing people is still fun. I'm recently obsessed with The Binding of Isaac, maybe the hardest game I've ever played. It's one of the very few games where I can honestly say that practice and skill are required to succeed.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh mass effect, I miss you so much.

RIP friend. I'll try to remember you as you were, not what you've become.

*softly cries self to sleep*

Edit: oh, I forgot to answer the question!

Hitman absolution, then Lego LotR, then The Walking Dead, then retro city rampage

Last edited by MadBadCoyote (2013-01-04 06:30:53)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Just beat Assassin's Creed 3. I have no idea what happened because I tuned out every time the story started, but sneaking around and killing people is still fun..

you didn't miss too terribly much. It tries to do to much with one game though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Against my better judgement I purchased Black Ops 2 (a friend persuaded me) so I played that last night - the single player is the usual stuff but feels more disconnected and random than ever before (now instead of highlights played over the 60s/70s, you jump back and forth from the past to the future). I'm sure someone somewhere thinks there's a story there, but I couldn't care less about it. The multiplayer is of course where the game thrives, but after playing a few hours now I've come to a realisation that all the maps are virtually the same - small, close-quarters combat in a maze of corridors. I'm also amazed that despite the tiny maps, the netcode is still awful, to the extent that I've seen glitching, rubber-banding, and horribly out of sync kill-cams.

So I'm £40 lighter and I can't help but feel that I'll be back to playing Battlefield 3 within a week (which is awesome by the way). However, I feel like I've played that enough over the last month. So.... I've been toying with the idea of installing X-wing Alliance, dusting off the joystick and playing that.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I'm recently obsessed with The Binding of Isaac, maybe the hardest game I've ever played. It's one of the very few games where I can honestly say that practice and skill are required to succeed.

You should try Super Meat Boy, from the same guy who made Isaac. Your definition of hardest will change once again.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

I'm recently obsessed with The Binding of Isaac, maybe the hardest game I've ever played. It's one of the very few games where I can honestly say that practice and skill are required to succeed.

You should try Super Meat Boy, from the same guy who made Isaac. Your definition of hardest will change once again.

I beat Super Meat Boy a couple months back. Took me for-fucking-ever to beat. That game is just as intense, but at least you have unlimited lives. Isaac is one-life perma-death.

And I thought they might be from the same guy! The art styles are familiar.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yep, Edmund McMillen. Love this guy. Also, both soundtracks are by Danny Baranowsky. Super Meat Boy's soundtrack is in my top five video games soundtracks ever.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I still play a fair bit of Diablo 3 on my mac, but for consoles it's mostly just anything that pops on to PS+.

Games I've palyed relatively recently that I can recommend;

Assassin's Creed 3.
But for fuck's sake; finish the other 4 games first. If not, you'll be that annoying friend who's up for watching LOTR ROTK, but hasn't watched the other ones, and constantly asks you who that is, what that means etc.

Limbo.
Fuck yeah.

Uncharted series.
Granted, it's PS3 only, but my god what a show they put on. Especially the cruise ship in 3. The general gist of things is; If it can't possibly become a worse situation that it already is: it will.

Rock Band series.
I still play RB3. It's fun as hell, and the perfect party game. Anyone can pick up a plastic guitar, bang some plastic drums, or try to match notes on a microphone. And also; a complete setlist of almost 2000 songs ready for download.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
The story still doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, but it's fun nonetheless.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Still finishing Skyrim DLC.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you've Skyrim on PC, you'll never be done. Steam workshop and skyrimnexus.com for a whopping amount of mods and extensions.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have a ridiculous amount of time sunk into Skyrim. Still re-playing it to be honest.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm a big Mass Effect series fan.  The third one has its flaws, but if you've played the series and, in particulary, kept everybody alive, the emotional payoff in three is hard to beat. 

I'm also a Half-Life fanboy, but it is hard to keep waiting for the next installment, particularly after how the series ended. 

Portal and Portal 2 are also some of my regular plays. 

Right now I've started with the Modern Warfare series.  Seems like a good ongoing storyline and the game is pretty fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't even get halfway through the main quest until I was level 47.  MY main character is a sneaky assasin type who uses illusion magic (nightblade build, essentially) but with points in destruction magic and archery.  So I became Dean of the College of Winterhold first, then became leader of the Assassins Guild, then I got Mehrune's Razor, then the Mace of Molog Bal, then the Sanguine Rose staff (perfect for fighting dragons), then I became leader of the Thieves Guild (the Nightengale Hood has an awesome Illusion buff), THEN I finished the main quest.  Then I became a Werewolf.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie is a completionist. I'm on steam - fixedr6

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I tried to do the Unarmed/Hand to Hand build because God DAMMIT did I want more than anything to punch a Dragon to death, but I found that the power kind of caps out around level 25.  I turned that guy into a Shield Mage.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My main problem with Skyrim, is just the same as in Oblivion - It really doesn't matter what race or class you choose. In the end, you'll be a level 80 god nonetheless, and also, the richest Melonfarmer out there, who also happens to be the headmaster of a mages college, the leader of the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood, as well as the best archer in the land, the quickest and strongest fighter etc.

Selecting a race should actually matter, instead of just giving you petty bonuses that only really matter within the frst 10 levels or so.

Thumbs up Thumbs down