Topic: #50 - VFX Oscar Bake-Off 2012

Shabooms, shabeems.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: #50 - VFX Oscar Bake-Off 2012

Listened to you fellas describe how The Hobbit looked and it made me wish they filmed Ted that way. It'd look like an episode of Alf! big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What the hell is a mench anyway?

<edit> Was meant to be funny, on reflection I just sounded ignorant. </edit>

Last edited by Dave (2013-01-08 10:46:06)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Hobbit, Life of Pi, Avengers, Prometheus, Snow White and the Huntsman.

Really surprised Snow White is on there.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

The Hobbit, Life of Pi, Avengers, Prometheus, Snow White and the Huntsman.

Really surprised Snow White is on there.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Great - now they can put "ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATED" on the packaging of every Prometheus DVD.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And Avengers got on there as well despite the feeling that it was too similar to Transformers 3/other movies where skyscrapers are destroyed. I have a feeling that it made the cut on the basis of having 'special' effects as well (effectively knocking out Skyfall).

As predicted, Spiderman didn't make the cut. I've already forgotten the others in the bake-off.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So we got 3/5 and two of our "meh" choices made it.

We considered last year's winner, HUGO, a "meh" too. So if the pattern holds it'll go to AVENGERS (biggest box office), but we'll wait to see what the VFX Predictinator has to say.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Quite surprised Avengers got the nom, must have been for the Hulk which while impressive isn't really Oscar worthy.

The BAFTA Nominations were released today too and the FX ones for that are-

The Dark Knight Rises
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Life Of Pi
Marvel Avengers Assemble
Prometheus

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-01-10 18:14:24)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I'm not exactly stunned (nor upset) that Avengers made the cut - it IS solid work after all, and I probably should have given more weight to the sizable ILM voting block in the VFX branch.   

And now that Avengers is in the running, I hereby revise my prediction of the eventual winner.  Avengers' "biggest movie of the year" cred beats Hobbit's "they'll be back for the next two years anyway".

So - Avengers for the win, Life of Pi for potential upset.

EDIT:  Just noticed something else - we mentioned Chris Corbould was on the list for three potential nominated projects... none of which were actually nominated.   Ouch.   

But he's already got an Oscar (Inception) and his brother's nominated for Snow White.   He's probably fine.

On a note unrelated to VFX, I'm surprised that Dark Knight Rises didn't get a Best Picture nom. Not because I think it deserves to win (though I did enjoy the film), but because the whole reason they expanded the nominees from five to ten was because of the fallout over The Dark Knight no being nominated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, but then they changed it from 10 nominees to "minimum of 5, maximum of 10" and then altered the way BP nominees are selected (they have to get a minimum percentage of the vote, IIRC). TDKR, not really surprisingly, just didn't get the votes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By way of example, there are only nine Best Picture noms this year.    Obviously some movie got the 10th highest number of votes... but we'll never know what it was because it didn't meet the minimum.

I just saw Life of Pi, and I'm pretty sure that's going to be the winner. Avengers had some great stuff, but nothing as astonishing as that tiger. I didn't think that special effects could really astonish me any more, but that tiger is just so damn good. They gave it to Hugo last year in a field of big explody sci-fi movies, and I think the same thing's going to happen this year.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

Quite surprised Avengers got the nom, must have been for the Hulk which while impressive isn't really Oscar worthy.

I finally got around to watching Avengers again and I'd probably say the nomination is due to the overall package and not to any one specific thing. Trey has talked about how it's often the range and diversity of the effects rather than just a single breakthrough, and Avengers has a wide range of different things - from the helicarrier and jets to the Hulk and the utterly convincing Iron Man, and from the seamless wirework of Captain America and folks getting pulled around when hit to the practical cars blowing up in the street. It's got everything done to a high standard and it's all melded together really well. Even when Thor is trapped in cell as it's hurtling to ground, it's a great sequence.

Looking at the credits made me wonder though. More than half a dozen visual effects studios worked on Avengers, who gets the nom? The Oscars website cites 4 individuals - Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Guy Williams and Dan Sudick - are these representatives from the biggest contributers then?

As for Life of Pi - is there anything special apart from the tiger? (I've not seen it). I'd argue that Lord of the Rings didn't just win because of Gollum, but due to the miniatures and everything else involved (indeed, they did win for Fellowship even before Gollum was really shown).

Last edited by redxavier (2013-01-11 10:30:22)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Life of Pi is almost entirely digital, if you think about it. The majority of the movie is on a lifeboat in the open ocean, and there was no ocean or ocean creatures. It's all animal effects, but a wide variety of animals. Not to mention the various storm sequences.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:
Jimmy B wrote:

I finally got around to watching Avengers again and I'd probably say the nomination is due to the overall package and not to any one specific thing. Trey has talked about how it's often the range and diversity of the effects rather than just a single breakthrough, and Avengers has a wide range of different things - from the helicarrier and jets to the Hulk and the utterly convincing Iron Man, and from the seamless wirework of Captain America and folks getting pulled around when hit to the practical cars blowing up in the street. It's got everything done to a high standard and it's all melded together really well. Even when Thor is trapped in cell as it's hurtling to ground, it's a great sequence.

Obviously it was awarded for all of its effects, my comment was a flippant one. I still don't think it is Oscar worthy though as was the consensus of DIF in the podcast smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Resident statistician reporting!

They used a method called 'reweighted range voting' to select the VFX nominees. The range voting part is what Trey described (rate all entries independently from 0-10). The reweighting part of is in the backend of calculations and is described here for the curious. Basically they use math so that if you highly rated the first nominee then your ballot has less influence on picking the second nominee and so on. It's usually used to prevent a majority group of similar voters from denying representation to smaller groups. Not sure why they went with the reweighting, but is it possible that members from each VFX company tend to vote similarly? I know Trey has mentioned that ILM historically had a disproportionate influence on the outcome. I'd have to have more information about the specific votes to know how it affected the outcome.

As for going with the rating vs ranking, it's supposed to be less prone to tactical voting and to better express people's opinions. Of course, every election statistician has their favourite voting system and will claim that all other systems are flawed. They should really all get together and have a vote to determine which system is best once and for all...

I also found some election statisticians geeking out over how awesome it is that the bake off used reweighted range voting, which is cute.

Last edited by Phi (2013-01-12 20:15:49)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

clap

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lets see what Todd Vaziri's "Predictinator" says - it's called every vfx oscar for aeons:

http://fxrant.blogspot.se/

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As yet, no prediction.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/d9Wx4.jpg
"There's always a bigger nerd."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Joe Letteri's trophy cabinet must be starting to look like Erebor, so it'll have to go to Pi (novelty, not quantity)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The VFX Predictinator has called it for LIFE OF PI.

http://fxrant.blogspot.com/2013/01/the- … ademy.html

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for the mention of The VFX Predictinator.  I really enjoyed the podcast!

-todd vaziri

Thumbs up Thumbs down